Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:53 PM

10 posts, read 39,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrogen View Post
seniorjet,

who did you use for a builder? Where are you building?
The builder is RiverOak Homes. The development is South Meadows, an established community. It's about 10 minutes south of Aiken Mall off Whiskey Rd. The current group of houses is Phase 7, so the community is not new.

Some of the homes were already under construction when I found them on the internet. I visited, liked what I saw, and wrote a contract. The homes in this group are 1500 sq. ft., with a small yard - exactly what I wanted. They broke ground for my house a couple of months ago.

Another thought: I have a friend who lives in Cedar Creek. His house was built by Donnie Shaffer (sp). Those are larger, more expensive, all brick houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 09:50 AM

11 posts, read 49,926 times
Someone mentioned outdoor movies.... During the spring/summer, there are movies played down on the river in Augusta at the ampitheatre. Also, there is a 2 screen drive-in about 25m from Aiken in Monetta. It runs from about March-Oct. Double feature, new run movies for $6/adult and even less for children. (www.thebigmo.com)

Old 04-15-2007, 08:52 PM

43 posts, read 198,145 times
I disagree with some of the other guest augusta is very beautiful. Every major city has tough areas through it. Augusta has no more than atlanta, columbia, greenville, or even macon. Augusta will recieve more construction and new developments througout the city than any of the others except atlanta without there terrible traffic. Augusta mall is expanding with new stores like coach not in the augusta market only in atlanta, and charlotte plus a new mall with a movie tavern where u can eat & watch movies on 6 to 10 screens not sure will be here by early 08. Heavy retail centers with clients not presently in augusta only major citys like LA OR NY ETC, are being built all around augusta and the outskirts. There is a new starbucks on every corner in west augusta, evans, or martinez so i guess it is becoming a major city. Downtown is getting a new stadium overlooking the savannah river, more condos, hotels, 20ft judicial building, library, exhibiton/convention center, and the augusta canal and phinizy swap are being constructed on. Augusta will be very different in the next couple of years especially south augusta and downtown. IN THE SPRING & SUMMER MONTHS DOWNTOWN IS PACK WITH ALOT MORE ACTIVITIES THAN AIKEN, EVANS, NORTH AUGUSTA, MARTINEZ, GROVETOWN, & THOMSON COMBINE DOWNTOWN HAS PLAYS, RESTURANTS, LOFTS, CONCERTS, CLUBS, FESTIVALS & PARADES, LOUNGES, STRIP CLUBS, THE RIVERWALK, MOVIES, BROADWAY, BIKE RACES, BOAT RACES, JULY 4TH AT THE RIVER, & OF THE COURSE FIRST FRIDAY LIKE A MINI MARDI GRAS JAM PACK STREETS OF PPL WITH MUSIC BEING PLAYED, VENDORS, AND THE BARS & LOUNGES ETC, STAY OPEN VERY LATE ON THESE DAYS. MANY PPL OUTSIDE OF AUGUSTA STILL VIEW IT BY ITS OLD WAYS IT NOW BECOMING A VERY VIBRANT CITY.

Last edited by augga706; 04-15-2007 at 09:11 PM..

Old 04-16-2007, 09:42 AM

83 posts, read 399,245 times
Aiken is simply adorable! I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet, slower-paced town in which to live.

On that subject of Augusta:

I agree with augga706. Augusta isn't THAT bad. I am a former resident, but I visit quite often because I have family and friends there. Yes, it has crime, but it's concentrated only in certain areas (mainly East and and parts of South Augusta). Downtown is very vibrant on weekend nights, especially on First Friday and especially in the warmer months.

The new retail development (VERY high-end) will certainly help Augusta progress into a very desirable place to live!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,404 times
I adore AIken! I am sad to be moving away from such a great town.
Things to look forward to for any newbies and potentail new Aikenites

*Check out Hitchcock woods-my favorite place to walk the dog and get a awesome work out! Safe and well marked trails.
*In the Summer there are free concerts at Hopeland Gardens. Take a picnic!
*Dinner at any of our amazing downtown resteraunts. (my favorite right now is takosushi)
*Lobster Races--very family friendly and lots of fun (unless you work for PETA)
*All of horse events in the spring and fall. Don't miss how much fun horse racing and polo can be. You don't have to know anything about either event to enjoy. The horse show in Hitchcock woods is great--look for it in early spring.
*Great street fairs about 2-3 times a year.
*A very active community play house and Art Center (I hear the yoga is great-wink,wink)
*Our downtown is AMAZING.

And no, I do not work for the city of Aiken...just a big city girl who fell in love with the small town life!

Old 06-08-2007, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,934 times
My daughter is moving to Aiken and is currently negotiating to purchase a home under construction by River Oak Homes. Is this a good builder? The finished examples in South Meadow (I think) were nice and the unfinished home that she plans to buy seemed very well layed out but I'm wondering about reputation. Any information would be appreciated! Aiken sounds like such a gem - I'm glad that she's moving there!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:04 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
I'm curious about income/property taxes and home insurance rates in SC (compared to FL) - any comments?

Old 07-05-2007, 01:17 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm curious about income/property taxes and home insurance rates in SC (compared to FL) - any comments?
I can't help you with the income tax because I was unable to find a job in the 14 months that I lived there. My property tax was $316 for a 1600 sf 4/2 on 1/2 acre. It cost me $418 for a year's worth of homeowners insurance. My auto insurance was just under 1/2 of what I pay in FL for the same coverage on the same car with the same carrier.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Aiken is a slow place in my opinion. Good golf courses in the area, a lot of Mom and Pop Diners, Cafes, etc. Its an Arts/Crafts sort of place - shops that sell arts/crafts and antiques. Not much there except a medium sized mall, Walmart (of course), movie theater, a few cultural events. I think Money Magazine put Aiken on one of those "Best Retirement Areas" list - not exactly sure why - cost of living low? Cultural events? Weather isn't that bad (but it is humid).

I'd consider it since I'm an avid golfer, and Columbia, Charleston, Atlanta, Charlotte aren't that far away to do other things (all within 2-3 hrs drive, I think).

My main concern about SC living is the taxes - seems that everything is taxed (car, income, housing, purchases, etc). I'm from Texas where we seem to get taxes less.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 PM

10 posts, read 39,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmacpher View Post
My daughter is moving to Aiken and is currently negotiating to purchase a home under construction by River Oak Homes. Is this a good builder? The finished examples in South Meadow (I think) were nice and the unfinished home that she plans to buy seemed very well layed out but I'm wondering about reputation. Any information would be appreciated! Aiken sounds like such a gem - I'm glad that she's moving there!
I bought one of the River Oak homes in South Meadows. I've only been here a month, so I can't speak to the long-term durability of the houses, but I can say that, so far, I am very happy with my home. The few items that were on my "punch list" were addressed in short order.

If you send me a private message, I'll give you my phone number for further discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina