Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 PM

6 posts, read 21,629 times

Advertisements

I've heard rumors for years that we were getting one. I've heard recently that the Wal-mart on the south side of town would be turned into a Sam's club, but who knows it might be a rumor too. It would be nice if we did have one though. There is one in Augusta, which is about thirty minutes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,942,655 times
I visited Aiken this past weekend and I am smitten! It's a beautiful city. Tell me though..... I would occasionally smell something that smelled like mens cologne (a good one), and I am wondering what it could have been. I'm assuming it is some sort of plant or tree, but what?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:17 PM

765 posts, read 1,902,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I visited Aiken this past weekend and I am smitten! It's a beautiful city. Tell me though..... I would occasionally smell something that smelled like mens cologne (a good one), and I am wondering what it could have been. I'm assuming it is some sort of plant or tree, but what?
A Tea Olive

Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,942,655 times
Thank you! I have to admit, that Aiken really does seem too good to be true. I'm looking for a new place to live, and so far, it's coming out on top. I laughed though when it seemed to me that not only did it smell wonderful, but the birds seemed to be singing louder and more beautifully than where I have been living for 22+ years, and it is a beautiful place too and a hard act to follow.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:48 AM

283 posts, read 895,585 times
We moved to Aiken about 18 months ago, and thought it would be great based on our initital impression when we had visited before moving. I have to say it is .... ok, but not great.

We had initially thought it would be our last move and we would retire here. We found that it is hard to find doctors that we like so we go to Augusta; the state income tax is a whopper; personal property tax on our vehicles is a real bummer - I would never, ever buy a new car while I lived here; traffic is horrible - not just on Whiskey Road - especially since this is really a small town; very conservative and very Red state (I'm not leftist, but am getting really tired of this in particular); poor library; something on the news yesterday about poor schools (sorry, I can't remember exactly what it was); gang activity moving into the area.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Thank you! I have to admit, that Aiken really does seem too good to be true. I'm looking for a new place to live, and so far, it's coming out on top. I laughed though when it seemed to me that not only did it smell wonderful, but the birds seemed to be singing louder and more beautifully than where I have been living for 22+ years, and it is a beautiful place too and a hard act to follow.
There is a lot to see and do around town, i am a lifelong resident and if there is anything you would like to know let me know. and Sassy if You really dislike the town there is a U haul dealership on pinelog and i am sure meybohm would love to help you with the sale of your property.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
There is a lot to see and do around town, i am a lifelong resident and if there is anything you would like to know let me know. and Sassy if You really dislike the town there is a U haul dealership on pinelog and i am sure meybohm would love to help you with the sale of your property.

This is about the third time you have come back with what I think is a rude comment about my posts. Please stop attacking me just because I say something you consider to be negative.

No place is perfect, and perhaps a person considering a place might be better served to hear the good and the not so good so that they get a fuller picture of what it is like here. Visiting a place is far different than living in a place.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:28 PM

No attack just honesty .... People should do what makes them happy. And if a person wakes up in misery then thats a good indicater things need to change. That goes for towns marriage and any other situation, life is too short to be unhappy.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,237 times
Default please help

I want to open up a bagel /deli in aiken south carolina.could some1 tell me if thats a good idea? also where would be a nice area populated to open 1.My parents want to retire there and i want to open a place up so i can be closer to them.We are in new jersey right now and tired of high taxes cost of living and crime.Please i need some help!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyjojo View Post
I want to open up a bagel /deli in aiken south carolina.could some1 tell me if thats a good idea?
In the major shopping area around the mall, there is a lot of competition for the kind of store you want to open - Atlanta Bread, Starbucks in Kroger, and a new bagel place in the new shops just built in the Publix parking lot. Every grocery store has a deli, too. You might be able to make a niche for yourself by doing kosher, but I don't know how big the market for a kosher deli would be. Good luck if you decide to pursue the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina