Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 05:04 PM

295 posts, read 1,061,936 times

Advertisements

I am looking to go away for a weekend. Can anyone tell me the best lake to spend a weekend? We like things like boat rentals, restaurants, and shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 05:49 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
Here is my list of nearby favorites that meet your criteria:Be sure to check around for more information about each of these fantastic lakes. There are plenty of options to choose from.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Here is my list of nearby favorites that meet your criteria:Be sure to check around for more information about each of these fantastic lakes. There are plenty of options to choose from.

Thanks for the info. Are these lakes ranked from top to bottom, or just in random order?

Old 06-08-2007, 08:20 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
Other than the first two, the others are in no particular order. Jocassee and Toxaway are simply the best anywhere around this part of the nation, in my opinion. When do you hope to make this trip?

Old 06-09-2007, 07:18 AM

We are hoping to go sometime this week. I think we are going to check out Jocassee. Does lake Jocassee have plenty of restaurants and activities such as mini golf and go-carts?

Old 06-09-2007, 04:43 PM

286 posts, read 1,477,880 times
hahahaha..........Jocassee is not going to have any of the activities you're interested in. That's precisely what makes it one of the nices spots in the whole nation!

I try to be as helpful as I can on this forum, but it is so tempting to keep Jocassee a secret. shhhhh....

mini golf.........

Old 06-09-2007, 05:54 PM

Oh.... I see.. Hmmmmm

Old 06-09-2007, 07:54 PM

286 posts, read 1,477,880 times
Dave, I tend to speak what's on my mind and that doesn't work nearly as well when written. My humor is a bit dry but interesting in person, but........we aren't. Sorry.

Please accept my apologies. If you've not been to Jocassee you have no way of knowing what its like.

Try going to this website Jocassee Outdoor Center > Home

Jocassee is a quiet lake right on the SC / NC border. It has no development on any of its shores other than Devil's Fork State Park, which is where you'd launch. The park has some wonderful homes and cabins, but you'd have to have reserved them a year or more in advance. There are campsites too, and you might get lucky and snag one. Other than that, your a ways from anything. There are a few convenient stores nearby, but the closest thing that would resemble city type recreation would be at least a half hour away and really more like an hour. However, there are tons of outdoor activities in the area. Hiking, whitewater rafting, camping and several large waterfalls to drive to.

Jocassee is a bit cold for most people to swim in, but we do it without complaint. The photos on that website say it all.

Lake Keowee is only minutes away, and worth boating on as well. It is a little warmer for swimming, and has lots of residential development to sightsee. It is a phenomenal lake in its own right, but when stacked against Jocassee, most come up short.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
Dave, I tend to speak what's on my mind and that doesn't work nearly as well when written. My humor is a bit dry but interesting in person, but........we aren't. Sorry.

Please accept my apologies. If you've not been to Jocassee you have no way of knowing what its like.

Try going to this website Jocassee Outdoor Center > Home

Jocassee is a quiet lake right on the SC / NC border. It has no development on any of its shores other than Devil's Fork State Park, which is where you'd launch. The park has some wonderful homes and cabins, but you'd have to have reserved them a year or more in advance. There are campsites too, and you might get lucky and snag one. Other than that, your a ways from anything. There are a few convenient stores nearby, but the closest thing that would resemble city type recreation would be at least a half hour away and really more like an hour. However, there are tons of outdoor activities in the area. Hiking, whitewater rafting, camping and several large waterfalls to drive to.

Jocassee is a bit cold for most people to swim in, but we do it without complaint. The photos on that website say it all.

Lake Keowee is only minutes away, and worth boating on as well. It is a little warmer for swimming, and has lots of residential development to sightsee. It is a phenomenal lake in its own right, but when stacked against Jocassee, most come up short.

Enjoy your trip.

no, I didn't take it in a bad way.
There are some lakes that are for relaxing and enjoying the outdoors and their are some that are commercialized.
I happen to like both depending on my needs and wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina