Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoyed3 View Post
Mass transit will never be attractive to most people b/c we like to go from point a to point b without mulitple stops and mass transit can't be set up like that. All the stops on the Metro in DC just add like 30 minutes to the trip.
Well yeah your car is there when you need it, but as I said before, not everyone can afford to pay for a car and keeping it up, and there's always the possibility that vehicles gonna break down, but I digress. Lots of options exist for last mile connectivity, walking if you're close enough and not lazy or taxi, bus, street car, bicycle, etc. Now transit actually is attractive to a lot of ppl because it rolls right along despite a highway being frozen with congestion. It also doesn't have to worry about other idiot drivers, slow drivers, road work, red lights, speed zones, etc. Why aren't more people interested in transit? Well if driving has been set up to be more avaliable than transit (like they did in Detroit and Atlanta), then that's what people are going to prefer. I don't want to take everyone out of a car, but I think the driving could be cut down a lot more and transit more viable by better planning. Now if you still elect to stay in your vehicle, you can at least deal with less congestion thanks to more people on the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoyed3 View Post
well at least I can listen to my radio in my car, and I'm not sittign next to people I dont' want to sit next to, and feel like cattle being herded.

That is great you like mass transit but i don't why you make it out as the bomb. Most people don't like mass transit.
And you can do the same on the bus/train...and text, make phone calls, play video games, drink or eat, draw, write, get on your laptop etc etc etc etc etc. If you want to drive around in your car that's fine, but don't pretend like 20 minutes of unproductive time is better than 30 minutes of productive time. And I don't get your point about not wanting to sit beside someone. You can't control who drives around you, who walks into the restaurant you're at, who you work around (unless you're the boss I guess), etc, why is it so important to do so on a bus or train? If you don't feel like being bothered than ignore them. You'll find you really garner attention unless you give reason to do so.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 AM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Default Downtown Florence

This project continues in a line of major projects for the Magic City... FMU Performing Arts Center, Florence Little Theatre, Downtown Apartments, A new Hotel, and the Florence Main Library are all part of the mix....

Florence medical community anticipating impacts of downtown medi - WBTW-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Florence, SC

Old 07-18-2013, 03:14 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
GREENVILLE, SC. **runs and hides**

Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,880 times
I've never understood why Savannah doesn't have a large suburb/city on the SC side of the Savannah River. A developer that would want to take advantage of the lower cost of living and building in SC vs. GA may be able to make "North Savannah" SC the next big city along the Southeastern Coast

Old 07-19-2013, 11:30 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
GREENVILLE, SC. **runs and hides**
The next boomtown must be Columbia because "Columbia Gots Swag"

Old 07-20-2013, 06:59 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3002205 View Post
I've never understood why Savannah doesn't have a large suburb/city on the SC side of the Savannah River. A developer that would want to take advantage of the lower cost of living and building in SC vs. GA may be able to make "North Savannah" SC the next big city along the Southeastern Coast
I've often wondered this too. I've heard there is a contigent of people that live in HIlton Head that commute to Savvanah, and vice versa, but just from pure speculation I believe that a lot of the area on the immedaite side of the state line is in a marshy, lowland like area. But other than that, I dont know. I'd like to know also. Might be something to post on Savvanah's message board if they have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
The next boomtown must be Columbia because "Columbia Gots Swag"
Love how my tongue in cheek comment is still making the rounds. Although, I hope it doesn't EVER become the Capital City's new, hip slogan lol

Old 07-20-2013, 02:31 PM

245 posts, read 319,158 times
I could see Aiken blowing up if they can land a few good companies that employs a lot of people and not associated with and located at the Savannah River Site. They got several miles of interstate frontage and land to develop from the interstate and then 10-15 miles along the road into downtown Aiken.

Aiken has a better downtown area than many larger cities and I can't think of a downtown area that is more wooded with grass medians.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:03 AM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
I had hoped that Sumter would be able to rise to the ranks as a 'boomtown' by SC Standards.. It seems though to have been outmanuvered by Spartanburg, Rock Hill, Florence, and now Mt. Pleasant. The City is really competing with the likes of Orangeburg and Anderson which are really third tier cities. Anderson is really poised to come up from third tier to second tier status though over the next decade which leave little hope for Sumter. Orangeburg too has had some gains and though it may never overtake Sumter in terms of population it could leverage its proximity to Columbia and I-26 to make substantial gains on Sumter in terms of employment base, development and amenities.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:24 PM

245 posts, read 319,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I had hoped that Sumter would be able to rise to the ranks as a 'boomtown' by SC Standards.. It seems though to have been outmanuvered by Spartanburg, Rock Hill, Florence, and now Mt. Pleasant. The City is really competing with the likes of Orangeburg and Anderson which are really third tier cities. Anderson is really poised to come up from third tier to second tier status though over the next decade which leave little hope for Sumter. Orangeburg too has had some gains and though it may never overtake Sumter in terms of population it could leverage its proximity to Columbia and I-26 to make substantial gains on Sumter in terms of employment base, development and amenities.
Sumter's problem kind of like Greenwood is it is too far off an interstate. I think it is a good bit ahead of Orangeburg though.

Anderson has been poised for years but it never seems to happen. They needed that ICAR thing with Clemson to locate there and not in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina