Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 07:44 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
mattee01, I stand corrected. Greenwood is less dense than Greenville and Anderson according to city-data. The data shows it to be more dense than Columbia and Charleston, but that's not really true. I think Fort Jackson messes with Columbia's number and I think Charleston has been annexing and that makes the number look lower. Someone can back me up I'm sure. My point is. Urban Greenwood isn't. I love it, but it's not that.
You might be misunderstanding what I'm saying. I know very well that Greenwood county isn't really dense, it's actually got a lot of rural going on (but then what county in SC doesn't?). However, the city of Greenwood is dense for a SC city. This doesn't necessarily mean it's large, which it isn't, but it does mean if you stay within the main parts of the city it can appear to be larger than cities that might be bigger than it, such as Anderson. Having been in both Anderson and Greenwood a good many times, I can honestly tell you Anderson is more sprawling, but Greenwood has more tall buildings, and maybe one or two that are taller than anything in Anderson, and several areas appear more urban/dense than in Anderson. That's the factor that makes an area dense.

I think Greenwood not having an interstate has had both a good and bad effect on the city. It's been bad in that the population and business/industry hasn't been developed as well as it has along the I-85 corridor, however you also don't have as bad of a problem of suburban sprawl that can be moved around quickly with an expressway. Perhaps in a few years if SC invests more in commuter rail and private goods rail and that extends into Greenwood it can partake more in those positive effects and less of the negatives.

Btw, how are things in Greenwood lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,273,529 times
Quote:
mattee01, I stand corrected. Greenwood is less dense than Greenville and Anderson according to city-data. The data shows it to be more dense than Columbia and Charleston, but that's not really true. I think Fort Jackson messes with Columbia's number and I think Charleston has been annexing and that makes the number look lower. Someone can back me up I'm sure. My point is. Urban Greenwood isn't. I love it, but it's not that.
This is correct. I believe it adds roughly 50 sq. miles or so to Columbia's city limits. Its on Wikipedia I believe.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
You might be misunderstanding what I'm saying. I know very well that Greenwood county isn't really dense, it's actually got a lot of rural going on (but then what county in SC doesn't?). However, the city of Greenwood is dense for a SC city. This doesn't necessarily mean it's large, which it isn't, but it does mean if you stay within the main parts of the city it can appear to be larger than cities that might be bigger than it, such as Anderson. Having been in both Anderson and Greenwood a good many times, I can honestly tell you Anderson is more sprawling, but Greenwood has more tall buildings, and maybe one or two that are taller than anything in Anderson, and several areas appear more urban/dense than in Anderson. That's the factor that makes an area dense.

I think Greenwood not having an interstate has had both a good and bad effect on the city. It's been bad in that the population and business/industry hasn't been developed as well as it has along the I-85 corridor, however you also don't have as bad of a problem of suburban sprawl that can be moved around quickly with an expressway. Perhaps in a few years if SC invests more in commuter rail and private goods rail and that extends into Greenwood it can partake more in those positive effects and less of the negatives.

Btw, how are things in Greenwood lately?
I understand. Thanks for clarifying. Things in Greenwood today are slightly different I guess. They've added some retail.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 AM

245 posts, read 319,249 times
Did Greenwood redo their main street to add some grass medians with trees? I don't remember those from when my family used to go over there for a meal during our week vacations up the road at Hickory Knob State park.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
It is in Graniteville, which is the next area over from Aiken. But interstate wise, its between Aiken and NA. Graniteville and the west side of Aiken are growing. Sam's Club is being built right now on the west side.
yeah I know of granitville. I think it is the weirdest town in SC with that mill being the main thing.

I looked at that trolley run station neighborhood a few months ago, pretty cool looking. I was surprised that area didn't have more housing when I used to live in Aiken, given it is closer to Augusta for commuting to work or shopping.

that ymca looks pretty nice too, that is what I didn't like about Aiken when I lived there, no fitness center like that, and I don't like gold's that much. aiken does have a decent recreation center at that park, and I did work out at USC Aiken for awhile as well.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
The Spartanburg area has more people than Florence.
that is hard to believe, as I used to work there. I would think they were about the same. I think Florence probably has more people if you include Darlington, Hartsville, Lake City, marion, and other small cities around. Florence metro is more spread out.

Spartanburg is only "big city" in SC that is actually losing population at a good rate for whatever reason. I guess if Boiling Springs and Duncan is included then they are increasing in population but not sure if that makes up for what they are losing in Spartanburg.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 PM

140 posts, read 279,662 times
Northern Mount Pleasant will be the center of Mount Pleasant in the next 10 years.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew2013 View Post
that is hard to believe, as I used to work there. I would think they were about the same. I think Florence probably has more people if you include Darlington, Hartsville, Lake City, marion, and other small cities around. Florence metro is more spread out.

Spartanburg is only "big city" in SC that is actually losing population at a good rate for whatever reason. I guess if Boiling Springs and Duncan is included then they are increasing in population but not sure if that makes up for what they are losing in Spartanburg.

I do wonder if most cities in SC would be loosing population if it werent for annexation which is restrictive as it is....I would like to know what would be causing Spartanburg, proper, to be losing population? If its not annexing and it has older housing stock(not historic) and no land for infill.. that may be part of the issue.. People/families may be moving outside of the City Limits for that reason leaving behind the poor and the elderly, followed by access to employment which may be in the surburbs and/or closer to Greenville, then there is other nit noid things like taxes and crime.. I have no idea if this is at play in the Hub City or not....

Old 07-27-2013, 07:47 AM

235 posts, read 528,321 times
City limit populations of Florence and Spartanburg are about the same but Spartanburgs urban pop. Is around 185,000 while Florence is near 100,000. Also Spartanburg MSA is 315,000 (including Union County while Florence is around 205,000 but you could make argument that maybe Marion and Dillon counties should added to Florence's MSA

Old 07-27-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
City limit populations of Florence and Spartanburg are about the same but Spartanburgs urban pop. Is around 185,000 while Florence is near 100,000. Also Spartanburg MSA is 315,000 (including Union County while Florence is around 205,000 but you could make argument that maybe Marion and Dillon counties should added to Florence's MSA
I would add Lee County with Bishopville although not really that many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina