U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2010, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,511 times
Smile Moving to SD and need help please

Hello everyone!! I am moving from Michigan to the Sioux Falls Area by the end of the year. We are trying to find a house to buy and we found a gorgeous 3700 sq. ft house BUT I'm worried about the heating costs. It is a 3 story house. Is there anyone in here that has a large house that could give me an idea of what the costs are. We keep our heat between 60 to 64. And any other utility costs would help also. Right now I pay:

Gas: 75-150 a month (summer/winter)
Electric: 20-100 (summer/winter)
Water: 45

ANYTHING will help!! Thanks all!! Excited to be apart of this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:41 PM

17,955 posts, read 5,571,229 times
There are so many variables, it would be hard to honestly answer this question. Insulation, type/age of windows, age/type of heating system, I live in a very small town, 100 miles, Northwest of Sioux Falls, and last winter our heat was about $900, for propane. It was a long, and fairly cold heating season, also. (The furnace was still running, in early May.)
Since 1996 we have installed all new windows, new (bat) insulation, new siding, roof. (We took OUT 14 windows! during remodel #1)

Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,511 times
Pardon my ignorance but is that $900 for the whole "Season"? The house is a recently remodeled home with new combination windows, new roof, new 90% efficient furnace, new 200 amp electrical service, and new plumbing. It is a historical home built around the 1900-1910 era. The 3rd floor, from what I can tell, looks like it is a converted attic to a large room. This being said, leads me to believe there is not much insulation between the ceiling and roof.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 PM

17,955 posts, read 5,571,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Bound View Post
Pardon my ignorance but is that $900 for the whole "Season"? The house is a recently remodeled home with new combination windows, new roof, new 90% efficient furnace, new 200 amp electrical service, and new plumbing. It is a historical home built around the 1900-1910 era. The 3rd floor, from what I can tell, looks like it is a converted attic to a large room. This being said, leads me to believe there is not much insulation between the ceiling and roof.
Yes. I would say we heated our home, from mid Oct. thru mid May. And, Mr.Debey works in the out of doors, every day, so our thermostat is set @ 70, for most of the winter. The price of propane varies. I have never lived in a home, with natural gas heat, so I am not familiar, with "unit" prices. Our furnace was installed the fall of 2005. We also have a wall mount, vent free propane heater in the basement, for power outage situations.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:23 AM

177 posts, read 377,820 times
I do not live in Sioux Falls yet but have you asked the current owners what they have paid during the last Winter?
Also, do you intend to visit the properly prior to purchase? There's a lot of variables to worry about, I've own 2 homes and it was like comparing apples to oranges.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 AM

17,203 posts, read 20,854,666 times
You can call the local power company or gas company and give them the address. Ask them what the average bill is for that residence. They will tell you. They won't go into specifics, but they will tell you the average. Usually better info then the previous owners/renters will give.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:11 AM

876 posts, read 1,272,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You can call the local power company or gas company and give them the address. Ask them what the average bill is for that residence. They will tell you. They won't go into specifics, but they will tell you the average. Usually better info then the previous owners/renters will give.
Exactly! You can also request the owners give you the billing record so you can have a more specific idea - its' not to say they will give it to you, but they should. If it is a bank owned home you will need to see if the gas or electric company will give you/your agent an older history. Most homes I list I include in a financial data section so buyers can weigh out the over all affordability.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:41 PM

151 posts, read 172,901 times
Hey - S.D. Bound - I grew up in one of those houses in the "historical" district of Sioux Falls - dare I ask the address? I LOVED that old house - I doubt it is ours, ours was built 1930's if I remember correctly. Just curious, I moved far, far away in 1972 & now will be moving to back to South Dakota end of August, but to Spearfish, not SF. Good luck & I would agree with the previous post - just call & ask the average & they will break it down ot high & low etc....but there are still variables to consider like how many people were in the home, and the settings etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota