Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times

Advertisements

Hermosa. Bad things can happen anywhere. As much as you want to protect your kids you can't always do that. The. Is where you instill values and teach them to be wise. Hope they make smart decisions and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 04:15 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
AHH....speaking of hoods, violence and what not.....today at a high school here in Omaha someone opened fire....shot one dead, injured another and then drove away.....then shot himself in his car after he made his getaway. Maybe this is the final straw I need....what do ya think Ryan??

""]l?storySection=comments
My coworker's daughter was there. I hope the two people shot will be okay, and good riddance to the shooter.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM

380 posts, read 1,000,325 times
Well, the final story is out on what happened. It seems he was upset because he got suspended for driving his Accord on the football field and tore it up doing cookies. So he went to the school seeking revenge on the punishers. :-( What a deal. It even made national news.

Millard South High School Shooting: Son of Omaha Detective Shoots School Officials, Kills Self - ABC News

Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
I've had a child in a school shooting. I'm here to tell you that the individual is a nut case. You cannot blame the school, regardless of what the individual says, nor can you blame the parents. The individual tripped on something and from that point, is a total wash.

The individual at my dauhters school opened fire on the softball field. Shot several kids, non of them life threatening. Long story short. He was an ex-Navy Seal. Every shot could have counted coup. But they didn't. There was a reason and the school was not one of them. Nor were the kids. Nor were the parents. The guy snapped, whether it was during his tours of duty, bad relationships, or whatever. The thing to remember is it was that person, for whatever reason. To try and dig too deep is rediculouse.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:34 AM

68 posts, read 126,177 times
I just heard that the boy who did this father is a police officer.

avalonpark

Old 01-07-2011, 03:06 PM

380 posts, read 1,000,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVALONPARK View Post
I just heard that the boy who did this father is a police officer.

avalonpark
Yeah, you are right! A detective's son. They say that after his kid got suspended from school for tearing up the football field with his car that the dad locked up his car in the garage and took the keys as punishment. He apparently had his extra service weapon hidden, locked away and a lock on the gun, but unfortunately the kid had nothing but time to break into the garage, to get to his car, find his dad's gun and manage to get the lock off while his dad was at work. As ElkHunter said, you can't blame the school or the parents. In this case, the school had every right to suspend him for tearing up their field. And the dad punished him by taking away his car. Seems the kid had no respect for authority and did what he wanted anyway. The whole thing is just so sad. And then to turn on the news the next night to see that someone shot a service writer at Shell Quick Lube is just insane. A guy that everyone loved and trusted lost his life because he happened to have some money the guy wanted. What a deal. This town is going down hill!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 PM

68 posts, read 126,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
Yeah, you are right! A detective's son. They say that after his kid got suspended from school for tearing up the football field with his car that the dad locked up his car in the garage and took the keys as punishment. He apparently had his extra service weapon hidden, locked away and a lock on the gun, but unfortunately the kid had nothing but time to break into the garage, to get to his car, find his dad's gun and manage to get the lock off while his dad was at work. As ElkHunter said, you can't blame the school or the parents. In this case, the school had every right to suspend him for tearing up their field. And the dad punished him by taking away his car. Seems the kid had no respect for authority and did what he wanted anyway. The whole thing is just so sad. And then to turn on the news the next night to see that someone shot a service writer at Shell Quick Lube is just insane. A guy that everyone loved and trusted lost his life because he happened to have some money the guy wanted. What a deal. This town is going down hill!

Sounds like a normal regular day in Chicago. Blahh, that is nothing.

avalonpark

Old 11-06-2017, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 6,593 times
Sorry for the late post. I just came across this thread. I lived in Sioux Falls when I was in High School but I also grew up moving around a lot and lived in 3rd Ward Houston in my early 20s; so I know about hood. That being said, Sioux Falls does not have anything you can compare to the ghettos of a large city.

Nevertheless, Sioux Falls does have lower income neighborhoods with plenty of white trash folks. You don't need to be afraid while walking around a neighborhood but there are plenty of people who aren't afraid to fight if you get involved. This is mostly around central Sioux Falls and Whittier Park. If you have ever seen Shameless, it is similar to that.

As a kid I did stupid things and got involved with likeminded people. When you and your stupid friends do stupid things you end up having to deal with other stupid people. Me and my friends got involved with a group of Slovakians that carried guns. Although I doubt they ever actually used them.

So is there a hood of Sioux Falls? Of course. There is a hood for practically anywhere of population. Is it a hood compared to something you see in a movie? Probably not.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 6,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattylight View Post
Sorry for the late post. I just came across this thread. I lived in Sioux Falls when I was in High School but I also grew up moving around a lot and lived in 3rd Ward Houston in my early 20s; so I know about hood. That being said, Sioux Falls does not have anything you can compare to the ghettos of a large city.

Nevertheless, Sioux Falls does have lower income neighborhoods with plenty of white trash folks. You don't need to be afraid while walking around a neighborhood but there are plenty of people who aren't afraid to fight if you get involved. This is mostly around central Sioux Falls and Whittier Park. If you have ever seen Shameless, it is similar to that.

As a kid I did stupid things and got involved with likeminded people. When you and your stupid friends do stupid things you end up having to deal with other stupid people. Me and my friends got involved with a group of Slovakians that carried guns. Although I doubt they ever actually used them.

So is there a hood of Sioux Falls? Of course. There is a hood for practically anywhere of population. Is it a hood compared to something you see in a movie? Probably not.
Meant to say bosnians not slovakians.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:38 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,396 times
You should visit there. I went to the Sturgis bike rally a few years ago and went around the general area. Beautiful country. Local people were very pleasant and polite. Rapid City had a nice little airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota