U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2007, 12:13 AM

31 posts, read 90,774 times
Default SD Winters, and Hail...

It seems that no one elsewhere can give me straight answer. Just how bad can it really get out there in SD during the winter? I've heard stories from my old man on how insane things can get up in ND, so I figure y'all are right below those poor ND'ers, you must occasionally experience similar nightmares. Also, how much hail can y'all get?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 AM

17,384 posts, read 21,409,465 times
I can relate to what your old man was talking about. I no longer live in Rapid City, but I visit frequently.

The climate has been changing for several years and the fact is, they just don't get what they used to.

I grew up in Rapid in the 60's I can remember getting hit with a snow storm and we'd be out of school for days on end. Then end up going extra days in the spring because we well exceeded our snow days. I can remember 30 degrees below zero. I remember, my dad couldn't get out of the driveway, but school was still on. 3 blocks. Took me the better part of 2 hours wading up one drift and sliding down the next. Course, in those days, they had snow routes that they bladed the snow. Trouble was, we were 2 blocks off the snow route. So it would take a lot of work and effort by neighbors to get things broken up enough to get vehicles in our neighborhood moving again.

But it's not like that anymore. Oh occasionally they'll get blasted by a bad one. But not very often. Not many days are below zero. Not like it used to be. A lot more streets get bladed and plowed. More intersections get "The Chemical" put to them. Not sure what it is. It's not salt, but it does a fairly decent job.

The Black Hills on the East side and the South end is called South Dakota's bananna belt. Now, there's people that live in Hot Springs and commute to Rapid City and they seldom miss work. Maybe one or two days in a year.

But it's not near as bad as it used to be.

You'll have to get the hail info from somebody else. I haven't been there when it hailed since 1972. haha Kind of old data. But I can tell you this. We moved to Rapid in 1956. I moved away in 1972. We got hail, but at no time did we get hail bad enough to make dad reshingle the house. A few times we'd get golf ball sized hail but not enough to do damage.

Oh. Also. We lived in Robinsdale. About one block from the Robinsdale Elementary School.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:00 AM

3,940 posts, read 9,378,238 times
Hello distortionmaster20!

I live in Rapid City and I would have to say that jgussler is right. When I was very young and went to elementary school it seemed as if snow days were much more common and I could count on at least three per year. I graduated this May and I have not had a snow day since 7th grade!

Rapid City does not get the precipitation that it once did and winters are milder now... GLOBAL WARMING!!! If any snow does come it is usually flurries or less than 2 inches and it melts within 2 days too. It does get VERY cold around late November/early December though. I think we had about a week of -10ish temperatures! But I rarely wore my winter coat after January.

And even though winter seems to be shorter, spring takes FOREVER to arrive... trees didn't bud until late April! Could Al Gore be right?!?!?!

Old 07-13-2007, 07:30 AM

10 posts, read 37,305 times
these are some pics i took near Aberdeen last winter. It has gotten -30 (or lower) all three winters i have spent here. It can snow a lot. If the wind is blowing, and it always is, you can get some problematic drifting.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,545,203 times
Well, not much to add except I agree with everyone and those pics are worth a thousand words.

Eastern So. Dak. can have much rougher winters then western So. Dak. does. I believe they get more snow, but like was said earlier, there's generally melts. We've had winters that we've had snowfalls in late Sept/early Aug. and it was finally melted by the beginning of May.

The winter of 1962 and the 1968-69 winter and 1996-97 winter were very awful. Every two or three days we had a snowstorm. And if you hear our temps are -20, don't be fooled. We have horrific winds that accompany them and the windchill may be -50.

I remember one morning very well. I was in the 4th grade and a 6th grader had lost her Dad. The morning of his funeral it was -35 actual temps.

Our past three winters have been quite nice, but if you don't like cold and snow, the Dakotas aren't the place for you.

Many people love it cause they like to ski or snowmobile, but personally, I've never been a winter person. I've lived here my entire life and it'll soon be time to move to an area with a climate that I like.

As far as hail~we don't get it often, but we've had baseball sized hail in the past. Generally, it's just a little banging and it can dent your car, but it's not one of the main worries around here.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:29 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,081,698 times
Just two more things to add.
One is that southwestern South Dakota has been under drought conditions for the past few years so any recent reports of snow storms will probably understate the norm.
The 2nd item is that hail can be a very localized phenomenon. It can hail real hard in one spot, while 1/4 mile away has none. So, if you are concerned about hail damage to your house or car, be sure to talk to someone that lives or works quite close.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:17 PM

Cool! Thanks for the info/great pictures guys. As I always say, "I'd rather deal with a cold winter up north than a brutally hot summer down south."

Old 07-14-2007, 04:36 AM

10 posts, read 37,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortionmaster20 View Post
Cool! Thanks for the info/great pictures guys. As I always say, "I'd rather deal with a cold winter up north than a brutally hot summer down south."
Well here you will get both, it was 108 here last week.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:00 AM

56 posts, read 180,108 times
108 is nuthin....at least it cools down at night there. Our low in Tucson was 87 the other night. It was 83 here at 5:30 this morning.

Those pics of snow in Aberdeen were quite refreshing!

Old 07-14-2007, 09:09 AM

To me, a brutally hot summer includes regular temps of 95+ F with 80% humidity. The heat index adds up to about 134F. Many times it can get much worse down here (Tallahassee). I know it can occasionally get pretty humid up there in the dakotas, but a regular summer heat index of 134F?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota