Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 PM

68 posts, read 126,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
one to do CPR and the other one to call 911).

hmmm why do I think I am really screwed

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 PM

87 posts, read 333,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissEevee View Post
Can anyone help me? I have a number of questions.
I'm looking to relocate to start my life with my husband. I have family in Washington, so I know how gorgeous it is, but you can't live off of that. I'm living in Michigan right now, and it is more than IMPOSSIBLE to get a job, it's almost as if they want us to live off the Government. I plan on going to school to become an elementary school teacher.
Not that that has anything to do with my questions.
My questions are:
Are there any jobs there?
Is it a decent place to live? (Do I have to worry about my car getting broken into, etc.?)
What's the minimum wage?
Is it really as lovely as people say it is?

Someone PLEASE help me...
Thank you so much
-Eevee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJTucson View Post
We just moved here a month ago. You completely have my sympathies related to looking for work. On that note, be careful...be very careful. We are in Rapid City and love it. Clean air, nice, nice people and gorgeous scenery. I personally agree that people here are very self-sufficient and frankly, I like that a lot as well. We also are both working. I think it would get very hard here very fast without a job or without a good amount of savings to see you through.

Bottom line, as much as I love RC, I would not move here or anywhere without a job lined up first...but that is me. Now, MI does not seem to have a lot of potential for you job-wise, but while applying to SD, what do you think about trying other states as well? I'd rather go to the state with the job first and try to get to SD, if that is to your liking, as positions and opportunities open up, than wind up in a state with no job and no prospects. But again, that is IMHO.

Also, just a bit of personal advice, get any offer in writing and be crystal clear what your position is, what the hours are and know what you are getting into. Good luck to you. I am sorry I don't know what minimum wage is here, but I have seen a few openings in the Sunday paper for positions (Rapid City Journal online might be an idea). And honestly, yes, I have never felt so safe....within reason, of course.....it really is that nice here. Good luck to you.
This is very sound advice. SD is a great state with a lot to offer, including a low crime rate, BUT you and your spouse need to have a jobs lined up before you make the move. Also, while you may be unemployed in Michigan, you are probably receiving much more in the way of assistance from the state than you would if you were unemployed in SD. Think about that while you consider the pros and cons of a move to SD. The prudent thing is to have firm job offers and several months net income in savings to help you get moved, settled and provide for the unforseen crisis that may pop up along the way.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:37 AM

Please get the job offer first, that is formost important. Once you get the job everything else should fall into place. Do research, research, and more research.

avalonpark

Old 01-06-2011, 12:40 AM

Yah, and make sure that not only your mind is made up but your heart. Leaving family and friends behind can be harder than you think. But if your heart is in the move, than do it. Just like at it like this way, now your family and friends have somewhere to come visit.

avalonpark

Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 AM

451 posts, read 976,986 times
The Old Man - I said that the op had my sympathy because it is hard to get a job ... especially in MI, but also just about anywhere....you really have to look. I feel their pain ... reminded me of areas of the country where you read people send out hundreds of resumes/applications with no results.

Dan - thanks.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 AM

697 posts, read 1,281,263 times
????

Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 AM

451 posts, read 976,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
????
Opps ... I am sorry The Old Man ... I get the ???. That response was for AvalonPark. Dang...no more posting for me without my glasses!!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 PM

I got your post,

avalonpark

Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 AM

19 posts, read 32,495 times
Well, reading all the above I could not agree more with the postings! Having escaped from Oregon to return to my birth-state of South Dakota, it WAS hard! Most of the family is still out west & we knew not one soul here in Spearfish when we got here, had no jobs lined up, nothing. It WAS expensive to move (as my adult son so thoughtfully pointed out upon our informing him of our plans!) BUT---- we had a little bit of cash (now gone!) a whole lot of heart and even more gumption! We found a rental online before we left Oregon(craigslist-unbelievable!) and have been here nearly 5 months - both are employed - wages ARE LOW, ($8.50 hr. starting for the wife & big bucks @$13.00) but so are our bills. We have met people we can call friends, we have found a church full of friendly, lovely folks, we are enjoying the seasons & exploring our new home and truly enjoying being here. It was different being away from the family for the holidays, BUT because our hearts were HERE, it was not "tragic" to spend the holidays with new friends, or just we two. We did a LOT of research before coming here & when we felt the time was right, we just had to go for it. We are in our early 50's and some people think we are nuts for doing this & others, I think are totally envious of our fear-less-ness in leaping off the cliff & into the unknown! I grew up in SD, but my spouse had never even been here until this last year! We came & we were aggressive in our job search, both of us are hard working & not afraid to do new things, or to take a lower paying job until you proved yourself worthy of a raise!
So, all that to say we are glad we are here! We are blessed to be here! It was worth the effort to get here & there is no going back!
Follow your heart & don't be afraid to step out, but in the same breath - be WISE!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 PM

I am confused are you agreeing with the post about moving or not???

avalonpark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota