Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottoms View Post
Yes, everyone knows about the GM fiasco. I agree the govt should not have bailed them out.
There are still unions around where I live that people swear by. That's all, that's all. It's like everything else, moderation is best. Unions aren't all bad, and there's been some bad ones, but the guys around here, such at the Electrical workers, Teamsters, have that affordable decent health insurance, that decent living wage b/c the union bargained. There's not that power anymore and that's a sad thing.
There are certain unions where I live (for now) that are on their way to bankrupting the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
There are certain unions where I live (for now) that are on their way to bankrupting the city.
There is quite a bit of that. Californina has big time budget crunch. That was part of GM's trouble.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
There is quite a bit of that. Californina has big time budget crunch. That was part of GM's trouble.
Police and fire unions are the problem here.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Police and fire unions are the problem here.
Yup. Rapid City and the Firefighters union have been going round and round up here. About pay raises of all things.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Yup. Rapid City and the Firefighters union have been going round and round up here. About pay raises of all things.
The big issue here is their retirement. It's okay, though. We all get to help pay for it with the new restaurant tax.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 PM

12 posts, read 18,410 times
Eevee,

I moved from Washington to Texas because of the economy and I hate it! I miss the outdoor life emensley. I still dream I move back and I am happy, but until the economy turns around we are stuck here.

I could spend the rest of my life in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, or Montana. It takes a certain type of person to love these states. You must like cold weather and outdoor lifestyle, which is why I hate Texas.

Good Luck in finding your perfect place!
Robyn

Old 08-15-2011, 06:55 AM

50 posts, read 104,125 times
robynimaac229, sorry to hear about the move to Texas. I can identify with your outdoors comment. We lived in DFW and there was very little outdoors things you could do. The great majority of the area is paved and from May to October its so hot you can't stand to be outside. I hope you get the opportunity to move out of there. I'm so glad we moved to Rapid City.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjprince View Post
robynimaac229, sorry to hear about the move to Texas. I can identify with your outdoors comment. We lived in DFW and there was very little outdoors things you could do. The great majority of the area is paved and from May to October its so hot you can't stand to be outside. I hope you get the opportunity to move out of there. I'm so glad we moved to Rapid City.
jccprince- Yes, I am awaiting winter to come so I can go outside again. I was just saying the other day how I couldn't wait for November to be here.

I recall driving through the black hills and rapid city years ago and falling in love with it's beauty and saying I could live here.

Would you say the people are freindlier there than they are in Texas? I am a bit worn out on the no matter what the conversation is about we are bigger and better than everyone else everywhere because we are Texans.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:19 AM

50 posts, read 104,125 times
I would say people in SD are much more friendly than the people were in Texas. Not to say that people in Texas were mean, but it really seems more genuine here. People will stop and have a 20 minute conversation with you and have in depth conversations. That never happened in DFW. Everyone was on the go go go and had no time to slow down. It takes some time to get used to the slower lifestyle and to adjust your own mental time frames.

I am so glad that we moved here. I love this place. It feels like its our home now. I never had that feeling in Texas. People's priorities in Dallas were more about keeping up with and surpassing the Jones-es. (e.g. 60 Million dollar high school football stadium in Allen TX, where we lived in TX) There is very little of that here.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjprince View Post
I would say people in SD are much more friendly than the people were in Texas. Not to say that people in Texas were mean, but it really seems more genuine here. People will stop and have a 20 minute conversation with you and have in depth conversations. That never happened in DFW. Everyone was on the go go go and had no time to slow down. It takes some time to get used to the slower lifestyle and to adjust your own mental time frames.

I am so glad that we moved here. I love this place. It feels like its our home now. I never had that feeling in Texas. People's priorities in Dallas were more about keeping up with and surpassing the Jones-es. (e.g. 60 Million dollar high school football stadium in Allen TX, where we lived in TX) There is very little of that here.
Thanks, that is what I miss and I am looking for.

Yes, it is all about the status. I don't care about the status as much as I care about my family and the quality of our lives.

I really appreciate your answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota