Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,729 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me? I have a number of questions.
I'm looking to relocate to start my life with my husband. I have family in Washington, so I know how gorgeous it is, but you can't live off of that. I'm living in Michigan right now, and it is more than IMPOSSIBLE to get a job, it's almost as if they want us to live off the Government. I plan on going to school to become an elementary school teacher.
Not that that has anything to do with my questions.
My questions are:
Are there any jobs there?
Is it a decent place to live? (Do I have to worry about my car getting broken into, etc.?)
What's the minimum wage?
Is it really as lovely as people say it is?

Someone PLEASE help me...
Thank you so much
-Eevee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissEevee View Post
Can anyone help me?
Is it really as lovely as people say it is?

Someone PLEASE help me...
Thank you so much
-Eevee

Eevee, everyone here would be more than happy to help you. The people in the GREAT state of SD are awesome on these forums. If you do some digging in some previous threads, you will find that most of your questions have already been answered. People come here often looking for info because they heard that SD is the place to be. Don't let the secret out.......IT IS. You will find info on jobs, utilities, rentals and lots of other misc info. Is it as lovely as people say you ask? NO. It is BETTER. You won't be disappointed IMP. Jobs may not be as plentiful and the wages may not be the greatest, but that is the trade off for lack of humidity, clean air, friendly people, lack of crime and the feeling of being safe. I personally had the chance to live in Rapid City. It was only for six weeks, but it was the best experience ever. Feel free to read this thread about it. My story is one of many of how wonderful it is. 99.9% of the people on this thread will agree. Stick around...get to know some people on here. They are awesome!!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/south...spitality.html

Here is where you can go to find SD threads. TONS of info and pictures:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/search.php

Speaking of pictures, here are some of Rapid and the Hills that are worth a look!
http://www.city-data.com/forum/south...ity-black.html

Hope this helps!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:29 AM

697 posts, read 1,280,822 times
that other .1% of SD people is me I am the grumpy one

Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,751,262 times
If you work hard and are reliable you can make just about anywhere in the state. The wage here is quite a bit lower than other places. But our cost of living is as well.

You get out of the experience what you put into it.

The other grumpy one here will tell you what I think you need to hear instead of what you want to hear.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:53 AM

wages are lower-- crime is lower but remember that crime is everywhere-- most of the state is a good place to live-- you can get a very good education in SD if you get off your arse and try-- we(many SD's) don't like it when people come and live of the government tit ( i know some people need a hand up but we're dam tired of hand outs)-- we have enough already --there is work if you wanna get your arse out of bed --- glad this grumpy old man could be of some help

Old 12-28-2010, 07:18 PM

68 posts, read 126,143 times
Default the old man

You are something else, are you a comedian by trade. I like your posts. Keep it up.

avalonpark

Old 12-29-2010, 06:43 AM

my wife used to call me something else and it was not a comedian

Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM

68 posts, read 126,143 times
Keep it clean old man, keep it clean (smile)

avalonpark

Old 12-31-2010, 09:44 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
that other .1% of SD people is me I am the grumpy one

Oh yeah!! I should have pointed that out. LOL

Old 12-31-2010, 03:01 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,751,262 times
I have been called worse by many. But you know where you stand with me.

The best thing many can do when starting off, restarting or moving to the next chapter is give it your best effort. Learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others. And you get what you give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota