Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 PM

36 posts, read 73,748 times

Advertisements

I wonder, the nice people write and write about nice places, good people, weather and church. Even food and work are mentioned. But, what do you do for fun? Snowmobile, ski, snow shoe, ice skate, run...what does one do after work or for fun??? do tell....I love the pictures Brian put online and I get the weather south and west is most warm. Are there social things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,650,738 times
Well that are all sorts of things to pass the time. If you like outdoors there is plenty to do.

There is an active arts community throughout the state. Theater, and live music are popular. Sport are also a major part of life. There are plenty of bowling and dart leagues for fall and winter time. Softball and baseball leagues in the spring and summer.

In the hills there is deadwood. Personally I find the town a bore... I care not for gambling.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 AM

36 posts, read 73,748 times
Default thanks

I am looking to relocate but don't want to end up sitting in the house all the time. Work, sleep, eat and there has to be fun after that. I was thinking about NH but it is all based in families. I don't have one of those for whatever reason and don't want to end up with no social life. I am also thinking that liver closer to town would be best to stay "in-touch" but still want the home and yard and a garage full of toys. I was thinking south west as I do fear the coldest weather east of the river. The landscape it great to explore in warmer weather on two wheels. The winter is what I am trying to reason through. Thanks again!

Old 01-19-2011, 07:38 AM

819 posts, read 1,739,383 times
Default hi all

Iam from the south and now live in RC and I think theres tons of more stuff to do here than down south.And my big girl toy box has grown trying to keep up with summer and winter outdoor fun stuff.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:23 AM

697 posts, read 1,278,810 times
my fun includes sitting in a tractor or letting some cow run over me...... thats about it... i know its a boring life i lead

Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 AM

Hope the tractor has a cab with heat this time of year. I actually enjoy the work I do, and yes there are moments of fun.

When I am in the woods there is a rush when you make the back cut on the tree and watch the tree fall over exactly where you want it to. It is a pretty intense rush. Focus on the tree and your surroundings, the surge of the saw then the creak of the tree as it goes over.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 AM

697 posts, read 1,278,810 times
do a lot of chores on a super M but i do have a nice canvas housing-- all other work happens in a jd 7600--2wd

Old 01-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Nothing wrong with that. If you can get out of the wind it's not bad. Plus heat from the engine it can be rather pleasant.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:04 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,101,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechelle01 View Post
I am looking to relocate but don't want to end up sitting in the house all the time. Work, sleep, eat and there has to be fun after that. I was thinking about NH but it is all based in families. I don't have one of those for whatever reason and don't want to end up with no social life. I am also thinking that liver closer to town would be best to stay "in-touch" but still want the home and yard and a garage full of toys. I was thinking south west as I do fear the coldest weather east of the river. The landscape it great to explore in warmer weather on two wheels. The winter is what I am trying to reason through. Thanks again!
Mechelle,

Depending on where you are in the state, there are a lot of fun things to do after work and on the weekends in all seasons. In Rapid City and Spearfish (probably elsewhere, too) there are clubs and sports bars. There is a huge YMCA in Rapid City with an amazing list of activities. If you have a hobby, there is sure to be a club for it somewhere! Lots of little coffee shops and cafes all over the western part of the state, if you know where to look. Spearfish is a college town in the hills - quite a few families, and also retirees, but a large young adult population, too. As mentioned before, much of this area is rich in outdoor activities all year round - skiing, snow shoeing, snowmobiling, and one of the ski resorts even does a night time inner tubing run! Camping, hiking and wildlife viewing are year-round activities. There are always concerts, comedy acts and theater, symphony and museums, too. If you are bored here, it's no one's fault but your own!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:56 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,936,036 times
One thing I learned years ago is not to go out on a Saturday or Sunday and have fun. Let me explain.

You want to go snow shoeing, or cross country skiing so you plan a Saturday outing. You prepare the night before, you get up early, you drive out to the "area", and you snow shoe or ski all day long.

Then on Sunday, you can't walk because all your muscles ache, you are tired from being gone all day. you are behind on what you normally need to get done around home. So, you put off doing that again for another 3 weeks or so so you can recooperate.

I leaned that if I come home from work, don the snow shoes and go for a 30-45 minute hike and then go in and start supper, I feel really good. I enjoy what time I do put in on the snow shoes. It doesn't completely tucker me out. I build up muscle and they don't hurt. Now, if I really want to go out with others on a Saturday, I still do. But when I get home it's been a normal day, ot one to completely spend your body.

Same with 4 wheeling, skiing, skating, etc. Of course, you have to be lucky enough to live close enought to these recreations that you don't spend hours driving.

One of my favorite past times is to go our and play in the snow. With my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Fun in South Dakota?-truck-front.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota