Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 PM

93 posts, read 163,711 times

Advertisements

I don't have any suggestions, but I've gotta say, that is such a neat way to travel! I didn't know that anyone did that anymore, and I think it's great; maybe I'll get to do it someday.

Good luck on your journeys!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
how many teams you talking?? I have a horse friend who just bought an acreage i beleive over in the rochford area
Just one team, 2 horses. Sheepwagon is rubber tired. I'll be flagging for them on a 4 wheeler. We're building a trailer to pull behind the 4 wheeler that will be a mini verson of the sheep wagon. That way I can run into towns to pick up supplies and such.

Lots of good suggestions. I found 4 campgrounds that are "Horse Friendly". I sent them all emails some time ago and have had zero responses. Guess they don't check email during the winter.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:48 AM

189 posts, read 564,390 times
Default horse camp

i have a funny story. i camped at days of 76 campground last summer in deadwood and i think summer before. there are horse stalls. rodeo grounds and museum next door. they tore down museum to rebuild. should be done in may or june 2011. anyway, i was on porch and a young couple from georgia drove up on motorcycle after staff left. i told them get the env. by door. it gives rates and you can put money in env then drop in slot in door. the man looked and said "horse stalls?what are horse stalls? i said they're stalls for horses. he said do people sleep in horse stalls? i said no,horses sleep in horse stalls. horses like to camp too. he was so serious. the woman with him didnt say anything. but i cracked up and had to hurry off and let him figure things out for himself. that was one of the most hilarious conversations ive ever had. i dont think office of camp open in off season as i tried emailing them awhile back. you could probably get info thru visitor center in deadwood,sd. p.s. the horse stalls were 10 dollars then . much cheaper than a tent space. i guess a person could sleep in one,but they'd have to clean it out first. giggle giggle giggle

Old 02-03-2011, 10:53 AM

p.s. there are other horse camps in bh. i cant think of names,but im sure they would be on internet search. easy to find info. i think. true,if they are closed in winter you are unlikely to contact. you might check the websites. also try chamber of commerce in nearby towns or visitors bureau for answers.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 AM

another p.s. i will most likely be in black hills a lot this summer. may see you. i am known as the old lady who walks all over with a hiking stick!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejuta View Post
another p.s. i will most likely be in black hills a lot this summer. may see you. i am known as the old lady who walks all over with a hiking stick!
Hope to see you. Just look for the wagon, it's easy to spot. We put a new yellow tarp on it so cars could see it easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Wagon ho-745-small.jpg  

Old 02-03-2011, 12:58 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I have plans on visiting the expedition while it rolls through.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:32 PM

697 posts, read 1,280,969 times
met a man the other day who raises Norwegian Fjords(sp) draft horses --lives over on the eastern side of the state-- have heard good things about them ---i do beleive he said he taking some of them out to the stock show

Old 02-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I have plans on visiting the expedition while it rolls through.
Great. You can't see it in this picture, but when the team and wagon went from Ranchester to Skagway Alaska last year, people along the route signed the canvas. I'll bet there's 200 signatures on it.

We have a friend that has a team of Cliydsdales. Actually 6 of them. He puts up his hay with them. Uses one team of 2 in the morning, second team in the afternoon. But when it's time to haul the hay, he teams 4 together. It's something watch.

I don't know why, but these Percherons fall in step. They are out of step for about 100 ft and then you can hear them shuffle a little and then they are in step.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
My dad talks about using a team when they would do the thrashing. They'd all trade work back and forth. Dad would pick up the shocks to take to the machine.

Years ago (mid 80s) during a dry year we put up hay into little square bales instead of stacks. Dad or my brother would hitch up the team and we would go out and pick up bales. I got in on some of that "fun."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota