Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 04:03 PM

20 posts, read 50,537 times

Advertisements

Must have miss spoke , I haven't been there yet! Hope to be there in a few weeks, though. I do know what to expect, however, and surprising to all it is what I need now. The year my daughter and I lived in OK we had two unusually severe winters, both long with very heavy snow, so I got to experience the relief of a year with lower, stable temps. Never saw winters like that in 50 years visiting Grandmother. During college a coworker of mine was from Fargo, so I never thought I ever visit up much less live there!

The house caught my eye; found it on OldHouses.com - Historic Real Estate Properties, Old Homes for Sale, and Old House Resources. Because of the asthma, I need old construction. I was reared in a circa 1900's house, and never had problems until I left home. Did better in OK in the little old which I specifically got as intact original without updating. But the bass-booming cruiser ran me out of town so we had to start looking all over again.

I'm the last of eight siblings to remain in Texas and tried my darndest to say just south of the Red River. The family homestead is now OK, where I have siblings as well as a couple in Iowa. As Mother will be passing in short order I think it'll be a good move all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Default I feel most welcome...thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Ttech, welcome. I see the areas you've lived in and am just glad to hear that you've been up here
Oh, I meant I had been to the website to which you referred me. As my ability to travel is very limited, I diligently scoped it out last Spring, and on and off since, when I first saw the house.

I lived in the Texas panhandle 3yrs getting completing my undergrad from Texas Tech in Lubbock, and Ft. Worth for a year before that. Both, especially Lubbock, got at least one full month of winter with good snows. The years I lived there were all record breaking years - major 24 inchers that stayed for about 2 mos.

Hmm, OK had two back to back record winters the year I was there 2007. I think I see a pattern; G-d or the weatherman must have been trying to give me a message for a long time!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:14 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
No, you didn't mis-speak. I misread.

Have you followed our winter weather at all? Just asking because OK doesn't have winter compared to us. We're having an unusually nice spell right now, but our winters can be pretty rough especially in the eastern and northern parts of the state.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM

12 posts, read 26,833 times
Hi TTecheTTe,

Been a while since I read/posted to this forum but when I saw the address of the house you're looking at in Canton, I just had to pipe up. It is a beauty; looked at photos of it myself in 2007, so that should give you some idea how long it's been available. (Also, well over a year ago, it was listed at $125,000. I swear, South Dakota is one of the only states in the USA right now where home prices are going UP!) Good luck with your move!

And Howdy to you, too, Jammie. Honestly, all your warnings about the cold/snow made me reconsider whether or not I really could hack moving back to SD as "an old lady," so for months now I've been checking out Tennessee and North Carolina. Seems like the natives of those states are already getting their fill of California's transplants, though, and that a lot of what I'm hoping to leave behind (chronic crime, gangs, drugs, wall-to-wall people/traffic/noise, outrageous cost of living) is already just as bad in some places there as it is here.
Anyway, cold has started to seem a lot more bearable than the myriad negative behaviors warmer climates facilitate... cold is at least predictable! And surmountable, if not avoidable.

Going to go catch up on the photo thread now and then see how many funny Elkhunter posts I can find before bed. He cracks me up!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Holborn, don't let me discourage you. I'm the winter weather whiner of the Dakotas, remember? I do have to share that honor with another member though.

Our winters can make a LOT of difference in what type of lifestyle you have. If you're going to be retired and don't have to go out on specific days, you'll be ok. If you have a garage for your car, it will make things easier for you. If you don't mind staying inside, you'll be fine. If you hire someone to remove your snow or if you live in an apartment, that will also make a huge difference.

I'm starting to share your sentiments. I'd love to move to a warmer climate, but our employment is here and right now that means a lot. We can just be greatful to have jobs. We don't like traffic or crowded places so that kinda limits our options, too. Rent is very high in some areas of the country, too and it's still fairly reasonable here. There really are a lot of pluses to living here and the more my search turns up, the more content I get.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTecheTTe View Post
Thanks! I had been there before, and of course I expect Canton would have a grocery, but didn't see any pics of one. I went back, and found the same stuff as before, but then then find the list that gave business phone numbers. I talk to Stef at Sunshine Foods and found it offers exactly what I need!

Furthermore, they provide home delivery to shut-ins every Tuesday!! She also told me that both pharmacies offer home delivery, also! It just keep gettin' better....
Canton has a grocery store. It is Sunshine Foods. Sunshine is based in the area and has stores in nearby Sioux Falls and other towns in the region. You may want to google it and it lists locations and ads. Sunshine is a decent grocery store and has most of the basics.

Sioux Falls is not too far away and has additional choices. Hy-Vee has five stores and is dominant grocery chain in the region and is in the larger communities. The stores are big and I think that they are the best place to buy groceries in Sioux Falls. Sunshine has four grocery stores and the one on South Cliff Ave. is the best and that one along with the one on E. 10th St. may be the most convenient for you. Sioux Falls has two Wal-Mart SuperCenters and it has one Target with another one on the way. I drove by the site and the walls are coming up on the new Target. It will not be a SuperTarget but will be basically like a SuperTarget without a meat counter and a few other minor things (but will have an expanded grocery section).

Canton has a state park to the south called Newton Hills. Newton Hills is a great place to camp, bike, hike, and horseback ride. It is one of a few forested areas in the region.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 AM

Thanks, Holborn! We saw it early last spring. The kids instantly loved it, but hubby (Flatbush Brooklyn) wasn't too keen on the idea. I contacted the owner early fall to check the status, which was still available, but then it dropped off Old Houses soon afterwards. I vacillated and didn't email the owner again, waiting until I knew I could go visit and talk shop. In the meantime I registered at a local Farm Realty and was receiving regular listings, and low and behold, last week THE HOUSE!

Jammie, I haven't followed the weather there as closely as usual. Since I have family up there my expectations are properly set. I'll move into the freezer in order to get out of the house part of the year. I was a total outdoor person, but with the heat and humidity I can't even step outside my door with out it triggering an attack. The year in OK with the 2 harse winters really showed what I needed, as I was able to actually get out of the house and do some things for the first time in over 5 years.

Chris, thanks so much for all of the grocery data. I really appreciate it, but my driving is highly restricted, and if I can I can't walk anywhere! Can't tell you how many times I've walk into our big neighborhood supermarkets and couldn't walk out. Heck, just last Thursday I "ran" out for some thing I needed, express checked and I was gone over 2 hours (store is 3.5 blocks away).

Old 12-26-2010, 09:41 AM

603 posts, read 573,164 times
Hello,

I will be taking a job in northwestern Iowa this summer. While I've lived in and like Iowa, my personal tax situation would make living in South Dakota a much better option. While I've spent a little time in the communities north of Sioux Falls, Canton would be a much shorter drive (by about an hour) to where I'll be working.

Looking at a map and throwing a dart probably isn't the best place to find a place to live, but that's what I did and Canton came up as one of the places located very close to the Iowa line and roughly at the same latitudes where I'd be going.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-26-2010 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Removed bump statement. Not needed. Simply posting will move thread to top.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:19 PM

603 posts, read 573,164 times
Anyone?

I've emailed a few realtors and have not received a response, which probably isn't an encouraging sign.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:56 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
During the holiday season responses might not be hard and fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota