U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2007, 09:31 AM

283 posts, read 313,607 times
Smile North Eastern South Dakota

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to NE SD...probably the Aberdeen area.

I was wondering if any lived there and could comment on the cultural activies for teens...are there things for them to do?

Is it a good place to live and work? I read a bunch of news stories a couple years ago about meth labs in the area, is that still a problem?

Are there lakes to swim in near by? Is the nightlife safe for having a beer somewhere or is it on the risky side?

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:41 AM

89 posts, read 242,270 times
There are lakes to swim in. Richmond, Mina, Wylie are all within the immediate Aberdeen area. I know of many people who make their way to the local rivers for recreation as well.

The arts scene in Aberdeen is constantly growing. There are art shows, plays, bands, and even a film festival that occurs at least once a year.

As I see it, if you have a job in Aberdeen it is a good place to work. There are lots of employment options available.

As I have found, the meth labs are few and far between. Every once in a while you will hear of one but they are generally "closed systems" meaning the meth is for personal use, not for resale. I may be wrong on this but I don't know of anyone personally involved in meth or affected by meth. Don't get me wrong, the drug is a problem and it has devastating effects on the people involved with it, but I don't know that I've ever heard of their being a "meth problem" so to say in Aberdeen.

I've found the nightlife to be very safe. There is a shuttle from a couple of the bars that will take you to your home w/in the Aberdeen city limits at closing time. It is not uncommon to see people walking up and down Main street bar-hopping (my friends and I have done it a few times). Just be safe about it and be aware of your surroundings.

Read my PM for more info.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:37 AM

283 posts, read 313,607 times
Thank you so much for your thorough reply!
It sounds like a very nice town.

I do not have a job but will start the application process right away.

Thank you again.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:17 PM

157 posts, read 497,199 times
Having lived and worked at the TV station in Aberdeen years ago, I'd say find yourself a group of people to hang out with. Otherwise, it can be a lonely town. I did the early morning news on KXAB-TV, Channel 9, in my tenure there. Actually, I was happy to get drafted to see the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota