Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:38 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times

Advertisements

Not always less wind but better protected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 AM

5 posts, read 7,583 times
Having lived in 8 different towns in MN, IA, and ESD; wind is no different here other than they bring nicer weather from the mountains.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:45 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Having grown up in Rapid City and now living in the Twin Cities, the climates and lifestyles don't even compare. The summers in Rapid City are better, the winters in Rapid City are better, the lack of humidity in Rapid City is better, and the scenery in Rapid City is better. Last summer we got up to 98 degrees and 90% humidity in the Cities. My apartment is an old brownstone with no A/C and it was torture. I went home that same week to 100+ degree temperatures in Rapid City and it was paradise. I mowed my mom's lawn, went for a couple runs, and ran errands while staying way more comfortable than I do here in Minnesota. The only difference was that the elevation in Rapid City made my run a little bit more difficult and short.

Out West in Rapid City, people are more laid back, casual, friendly, and all around down to earth. In Minneapolis, people are more uptight, liberal, and hedonistic. That may also have to do with living in a city though, because rural Minnesotans are really no different than South Dakotans.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:51 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Minnesota has been known to be more liberal than the coast. The Cites are partly to thank for that. I'd rather live in the cites than Sioux Falls.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:55 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
The Cities are very liberal compared to even rural Minnesota. Although MN, as a whole, tends to be democratic-moderate. But back to climate comparison, the sunsets in Western SD are SPECTACULAR. So many vivid colors in an almost endless sky. The last time I came home, I was driving between Wall and Rapid City at sundown. To see the bright orange sky with shades of purple and the Black Hills in the foreground was a special welcome home. It was also about 30 degrees warmer than it was in Minneapolis or even in Sioux Falls. The sky is always so much clearer and the sunshine is always brighter in Rapid City too. Even on a clear day in Minneapolis, it's hazy. Granted, pollution may have a role in that but it's even hazy out of the Cities. If it's not frigid cold here, it's too humid to enjoy the warmth. Whereas in Rapid City the winters are dry and the summers are hot a dry too.

The only thing I like about the Minnesota climate more is that I can run like the wind here and I never need lotion or a humidifier. The mosquitoes here are vicious though. I think I've only been bitten by a handful of mosquitoes the entire time I grew up in Rapid City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota