U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:54 AM

96 posts, read 100,499 times

Advertisements

[Mod cut]
Sounds like a few things in Aberdeen are changing...new beef plant? What do the folks think of the mayor/city leadership?

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-09-2012 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Bumping is not allowed. Post if you want, but don't bump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 03:12 PM

34 posts, read 37,029 times
Housing costs are outrageous here. I would even say they are higher than Sioux Falls for what you get. For $1,000/month here I was looking at an older rental with high heating prices, outdated, old appliances. $1,000/month in Sioux Falls gets you an updated, nice place.

This winter has been easy (for everyone in the state, really) but last winter it was awful.

Aberdeen is growing, getting a lot more jobs, but they're shooting themselves in the foot with the housing issue. $13/hour sounds like a decent job but with housing costs you are living in one of the 3 trailer parks.

Parking downtown is awful and their solution was to take the little bit of parking they have and make it reserved parking. BUILD MORE PARKING!

The mall is tiny and closes at 7pm on Saturdays. Very few of the big "chain" restaurants are here - no Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Outback, anything like that. It just does not have the amenities to justify the high cost of living.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:09 PM

19,770 posts, read 15,190,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle00 View Post
The mall is tiny and closes at 7pm on Saturdays. Very few of the big "chain" restaurants are here - no Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Outback, anything like that. It just does not have the amenities to justify the high cost of living.
So for a town to be viable you need crappy chain restaurants and a mall? Wait, what?

I am still not a fan of the town.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:12 PM

34 posts, read 37,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
So for a town to be viable you need crappy chain restaurants and a mall? Wait, what?

I am still not a fan of the town.
Nope, not a fan of those places anyway, but usually when a town is lacking in them, you don't find housing and living expenses so outrageously high, either. I lived in a town in Northern Maine with a (much) cheaper cost of living than Aberdeen.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 PM

5,253 posts, read 3,232,373 times
Never been there and don't really have the desire to.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:55 PM

80 posts, read 125,006 times
Housing costs in Aberdeen are awfully high right now. Almost all of the residential construction it seems from the 1980's to the mid-2000's catered to higher income buyers and there weren't many starter homes/condos/townhouse type places built which really put a squeeze on the market. Even now, the newer starter homes (usually 2 bed, 1 bath, unfinished lower level) and townhouses require two solid incomes to get into.

There's also been a lot of talk about hundreds of jobs coming to town, but I think that's really overhyped. The new Sanford hospital is bringing professional jobs, but the other employers probably not so much. The beef plant has been in the works for at least 5 years with the opening date continually being pushed back so who knows what will happen there. Also, Verifications Inc is closing their local office and Wells Fargo Auto Finance is laying off a lot of people and I thought I heard closing their Aberdeen office, so that's going to put a couple hundred white collar workers out of a job.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 AM

555 posts, read 557,499 times
I lived in Aberdeen from 2000-2001, and it sounds like things have changed.
When I was there for school (NSU) the one year, I found it very affordable but very very slow.
Me and the roomate had a two bedroom for about 400 a month right near the campus.

From what I remember, it is very slow and "boring." But some people prefer and like that
I found the people to be very nice.....with the exception of my boss (the store manager) at K-Mart, I found her to be a total.....well Female dog..we will say that..I dont think she liked her life
At that time the pay was very low
The city was clean
No public transportation
I guess a great place to raise kids if you dont want worries but as a city person you would go crazy.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 494 times
Default Aberdon't!!!!

I had the otherworldly misfortune of surviving a few years in this godforsaken, backwards swampland. On paper, things seem okay: high school graduation and college attendance rates, low unemployment, relatively low crime, cost of living comparison, etc. But, it's what the attentive observer comes to recognize once there that is the true measure of this part of the country and its denizens. Let's begin with the denizens, a uniquely xenophobic amalgam of almost entirely Aryan extracts derived of 3rd through 5th generation immigrants from ignorant, dirt poor farming stock who fled pre and post WWI Ukrainian (of German origin) regions and points north. Blonde hair and blue eyes mean more to these people than any other distinguishing characteristics, be they intellectual, moral or professional. Only through living among such people did I come to understand in full measure the kind of human beings who came to embrace a despot like Hitler. These people stare at you, really stare, like children of the corn. I don't mean the passing hard look a local might fix upon a newcomer in your average small town. I mean, they stare, unblinking, mouths open and craning their necks around to follow you as you try to leave the field of their view. They gossip and fabricate rumors with an evil viciousness unlike anything you can imagine. Here, locals are proud and jealously so, of their hatred for people of color and decided pride in themselves. The reason the local wont say "Good morning," in return to your offered greeting? They hate. Their hearts are brimming with a primal, clannish hatred of the unknown and new people. They groom their children to hate and hate they do, at the earliest age possible, following the behaviors and ignorance modeled by their family systems. Until I lived here, I had no idea that such naked race hate thrived like this in our country, much less in a northern enclave; I'm not thin skinned, but after awhile, the weight of such prevailing hate, arrogance and inbred perspectives became untenable. I took my business, and those jobs, to a much more enlightened kind of community to work and live. Aberdeen is the most socially damaged place I have ever experienced, wrought of a toxic mix of unwarranted pride and simple hick malice. Truculent is the best word I can think of to describe local people and desolate is the best word to describe the environ. This place is a whistle-stop on the loneliest train to hell.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM

1,664 posts, read 2,135,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Rock View Post
I had the otherworldly misfortune of surviving a few years in this godforsaken, backwards swampland. On paper, things seem okay: high school graduation and college attendance rates, low unemployment, relatively low crime, cost of living comparison, etc. But, it's what the attentive observer comes to recognize once there that is the true measure of this part of the country and its denizens. Let's begin with the denizens, a uniquely xenophobic amalgam of almost entirely Aryan extracts derived of 3rd through 5th generation immigrants from ignorant, dirt poor farming stock who fled pre and post WWI Ukrainian (of German origin) regions and points north. Blonde hair and blue eyes mean more to these people than any other distinguishing characteristics, be they intellectual, moral or professional. Only through living among such people did I come to understand in full measure the kind of human beings who came to embrace a despot like Hitler. These people stare at you, really stare, like children of the corn. I don't mean the passing hard look a local might fix upon a newcomer in your average small town. I mean, they stare, unblinking, mouths open and craning their necks around to follow you as you try to leave the field of their view. They gossip and fabricate rumors with an evil viciousness unlike anything you can imagine. Here, locals are proud and jealously so, of their hatred for people of color and decided pride in themselves. The reason the local wont say "Good morning," in return to your offered greeting? They hate. Their hearts are brimming with a primal, clannish hatred of the unknown and new people. They groom their children to hate and hate they do, at the earliest age possible, following the behaviors and ignorance modeled by their family systems. Until I lived here, I had no idea that such naked race hate thrived like this in our country, much less in a northern enclave; I'm not thin skinned, but after awhile, the weight of such prevailing hate, arrogance and inbred perspectives became untenable. I took my business, and those jobs, to a much more enlightened kind of community to work and live. Aberdeen is the most socially damaged place I have ever experienced, wrought of a toxic mix of unwarranted pride and simple hick malice. Truculent is the best word I can think of to describe local people and desolate is the best word to describe the environ. This place is a whistle-stop on the loneliest train to hell.
Quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel about the town.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:36 PM

18,043 posts, read 23,016,546 times
You almost sound like you didn't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota