U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-08-2011, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,688 times
Default Aberdeen, SD - what do you think?

What is your opinion of Aberdeen, SD? Have you lived there? or are you a visitor? I am interested in moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-08-2011, 09:16 AM

697 posts, read 590,343 times
not a bad place if you like cold winters-- spring flooding

Unread 04-08-2011, 09:29 AM

17,124 posts, read 11,976,705 times
Its a good place to be from. I have friends there, it is okay to visit. But it is usually colder than a hookers heart there in the winter. Floods in the spring, and humid in the summer. It is on the boarder of BFE. Other than that, it is a nice town.

Unread 04-08-2011, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 8,284 times
I grew up about 35 miles north west of Aberdeen so I spent a lot of time there. I like it. In the summer there is almost always something going on.

Unread 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM

17,949 posts, read 5,350,818 times
I did a quick 'advanced" search, using Aberdeen. Most of the threads, are "short". We haven't had many members, from that area, except for MG. (I'll have to see if I can get his attention!)
Aberdeen, is like most places in SDak, A good place, to live, if you put some effort into it. I grew up in Spink County, 40 or so miles, to the South. I lived there, in the late 70's. I also sold produce there, for about 10 years.
Going to Aberdeen is like "going home" to me. I love the road trip, I love spending a few days there, looking up friends, and family.
zblinks, it helps, to know a little more, about you....Age?.....Do you have kids?

Unread 04-08-2011, 07:31 PM

10 posts, read 11,425 times
I went to college there, so I guess I lived in Aberdeen for 4 years!! I really enjoyed it. I loved the park w/ Storybook Land. Can't remember the park at the moment. It has been a while since I've been back, but it was a nice town.

Unread 04-08-2011, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aladams2 View Post
I went to college there, so I guess I lived in Aberdeen for 4 years!! I really enjoyed it. I loved the park w/ Storybook Land. Can't remember the park at the moment. It has been a while since I've been back, but it was a nice town.
You're thinking of Wylie Park! We love to spend time there when I go back to visit.

Unread 04-08-2011, 11:01 PM

479 posts, read 804,200 times
I moved there for college, ended up getting married and lived there on an off for maybe ten years. My wife grew up there. I will say that when I lived there it seemed really stagnant in terms of growth, especially when compared to Watertown. But every time I get back now, something has changed.

If you aren't worried about cold winters, I think you would like it.

Unread 04-08-2011, 11:33 PM

17,949 posts, read 5,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Puddin View Post
You're thinking of Wylie Park! We love to spend time there when I go back to visit.
Do they still have the little zoo area there?

Also, Sanford is building a medical facility, in Aberdeen. East side of town, I think?

Unread 04-17-2011, 06:20 PM

78 posts, read 109,747 times
Oops...I haven't checked in here for awhile. I live in Aberdeen and have lived in NE SD around 30 years, and I always thought people overdramatized the weather. After this last winter though, even I'm seriously considering leaving--LOL. It's actually snowing here as I type this. Aside from the weather, it's really a peaceful place to live. Almost no crime, zero traffic, no up/down job market. Several businesses and companies have opened, expanded, or built new buildings during and since the recession. Population remains steady with just a little growth from 2000-2010 (maybe 3% or something--I can't remember now). I'm never lacking for things to do, but then I'm also the kind of person who could keep myself busy anywhere. The drawbacks are that housing is a little on the expensive side for SD, and the retail offerings here aren't too hot either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota