U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 AM

13 posts, read 15,123 times
Awesome.

I really hope I can save enough money to be able to go. I'm only a little short. On a side note, how lenient is financial aid at Black Hills in helping out students?

But yea, I have studied the area and I've always loved the Black Hills for its environment. I am obsessed with hiking and biking, so there was really no question when I researched school's and found BHSU. That, and it costs just the same to go there out of state (even with travel, expenses, etc.) than to go to an in-state school here. So far, every single person I have spoken to is very polite and friendly. It's a complete 180 with the people down here, City folk (real cities like counties with millions of people) are in such a rush, are extremely rude, and are also very impatient.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:38 AM

5,140 posts, read 3,053,676 times
I can't tell you much about BH, but Spearfish is a cool little town. Spearfish Canyon is one of my favorite places in the hills. The whole area is great, though. I moved here from a humid place. You are going to LOVE summers here! If you wear glasses, they won't fog up.

Good luck in making the move happen! Lots of people don't understand wanting to live here, but that just means less a-holes for us to deal with. LOL

Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 PM

509 posts, read 832,065 times
Black Hills is a good college depending on what you are majoring in, I took a visit there about 9 years ago and didn't go there because the dorms weren't very good, not sure if they've made any new ones. I think they still have a rule where you have to live the first 2 years on campus unless you have a relative within 50 miles, although I think some people get a P.O. Box in Spearfish and use that so they don't have to...

Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 AM

1,634 posts, read 2,026,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadwoodJ View Post
Black Hills is a good college depending on what you are majoring in, I took a visit there about 9 years ago and didn't go there because the dorms weren't very good, not sure if they've made any new ones. I think they still have a rule where you have to live the first 2 years on campus unless you have a relative within 50 miles, although I think some people get a P.O. Box in Spearfish and use that so they don't have to...
Sorry to say, but your #1 priority is whether your major matches up with a particular college. Do your research on BHSU.

Of the public colleges in South Dakota, it's the one I know the least about mainly because it's on the opposite side of the state and there are so many colleges in eastern South Dakota. I do know that Black Hills State has a strong education department. As to the other majors, do your research.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:23 PM

509 posts, read 832,065 times
I'm just talking from my experience.....I went to another college and didn't figure out what I wanted to major in until my sophomore year, therefore, the amenities were important to me in the beginning..Everyone is different, if you already know what you want to major in then its important, if not other things may be.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:35 PM

6,736 posts, read 8,742,286 times
I agree with those who said some kind of old car would be a good investment if you can afford it. In this part of the country a car is pretty important.

Since you asked... you won't have this problem near Spearfish, but if you decide to go biking at Custer State Park in the southern hills, be careful of the bison. They can spend hours on and next to roads, and it wouldn't be safe to ride a bike through the herd. My son used to bike in that area, and he could usually find someone who would let him toss his bike in the back of their pickup to get through the bison herd.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 PM

18,638 posts, read 14,247,258 times
I guess my question: what are you planning to study at BHSU?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 PM

171 posts, read 347,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGuy418 View Post
Awesome.

I really hope I can save enough money to be able to go. I'm only a little short. On a side note, how lenient is financial aid at Black Hills in helping out students?

I've been working with the Financial Aid dept. there for about a year and they're amazing. Also, if you haven't already done your FAFSA, do it as soon as possible as your financial aid depends on it.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:22 PM

13 posts, read 15,123 times
Thank you all for your responses. I'm studying Business Administration in Hospitality/Tourism Management.

I've been busy so I couldn't get on here for a little while, but thanks for the responses while I was away. I am pretty much putting every dime into school, so getting a vehicle is difficult, although I do need one for the winter for obvious reasons (although I have hiked on ice before...not pretty, though).

The dorms here (at least from what I've looked up online in their rooms pictures/videos) look incredible compared to other schools I've visited. It's at least 3 times the size (for a double room) as USF down here in FL, at half the price. So that was a pretty good factor, too. I've applied early for housing and I selected the newer residence halls. But all of them are much larger than any of the schools around me (like I said, USF's dorm life is kind of horrible and much more expensive).

@wyo, I appreciate the bison tip. I have read all about it, but need to do more research on how to deal with certain animals. Down there we have alligators, but they don't herd. They bite first, ask questions later haha. But on that subject, how do you deal with a bison herd if you are approaching them. I mean, I have heard that they don't go out of their way to attack you, but how would you get around them. Are people really that nice to help you in their trucks? I just can't fathom that kindness, because they sure don't have it down here. Just today I was walking down the road and this old man broke down. Must have seen 100 cars pass him and nobody stopped, so I helped him. But yes, any other info on how to deal with them would be most appreciated.

@kay, I've had financial aid done since before priority deadline, so I'm good to go on that. I really need extra money to afford it, but it's the cheapest option. With all expenses, including entertainment, travel, shipping costs, extra food shopping, shopping for dorm stuff, etc...it's only around $18,000 for me (out-of-state). That's $1,500 cheaper for the cheapest state University here (in-state).

@jmg, the Hospitality/Tourism focus in the Business Administration department seems quite good (but I won't know for sure until i visit). They had interviews with local restaurant owners and hotel managers that graduated from the school. They also spoke of some internship opportunities a little ways away.

I appreciate all of the tips. I am in the process of playing a summer trip there for about 5 days or so. This should give me a better idea of the area and learn the ins and outs of biking/hiking in the hills (or at least a few days worth haha).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota