Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 50,601 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of homes in my price range in Lemmon. Can anyone tell me anything about the town? How is it regarded by the rest of SD? I'm in my 50's, a secretary, part time artist, no family, like church, really small towns, especially if there's snow. Would this be a good place for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 07:08 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
http://www.city-data.com/city/Lemmon-South-Dakota.html

Hi. I'm sorry that I have no first hand info to offer you, but the site above may help a bit. I've never heard Lemmon mentioned in a negative light, but that's about all I can say. According to the site, it doesn't look like it's progressing well.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:29 PM

64 posts, read 489,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtforestdweller View Post
I see a lot of homes in my price range in Lemmon. Can anyone tell me anything about the town? How is it regarded by the rest of SD? I'm in my 50's, a secretary, part time artist, no family, like church, really small towns, especially if there's snow. Would this be a good place for me?
There is a newspaper called the Lemmon Leader. I lived there years ago and it really hasn't changed like the cities have. It has retained it's quaintness.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:01 AM

9 posts, read 50,601 times
Thank you very much! This is exactly what I hoped to hear. I've made the mistake of moving to a "desirable" quaint place, only to find it change drastically in 5 years because others thought it desirable as well. I'm now actually looking for dying towns. And thanks to Jammie for the link, I wasn't coming up with anything on my own. You two are great.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:38 AM

There is always a downside, gossip. As a single person, you would be a prime target so you will have to understand anything you do or say wull be used against you. However, this holds true in many workplaces through out the entire country. Most residents are A1 OK but there are always the few that thrive on bad news with itching ears and wagging tongues.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Remember View Post
There is always a downside, gossip. As a single person, you would be a prime target so you will have to understand anything you do or say wull be used against you. However, this holds true in many workplaces through out the entire country. Most residents are A1 OK but there are always the few that thrive on bad news with itching ears and wagging tongues.
There's quite a bit of truth in what you're saying. The smaller towns have many residents who have spent their entire lives there, along with their parents, grandparents, grandparents, etc. Some of them can be pretty clicky. Newcomers stand out like a sore thumb and can be scrutinized by many. Guess some people think if they can talk about the newcomer, THEY won't be the one in the limelight for the gossip of the week.

I've always preferred a town with a bit more of a population. If you stay over about 10,000, it's an entirely different world.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:34 PM

112 posts, read 381,867 times
Quote:
I'm now actually looking for dying towns.
Lemmon is indeed a dying town, but I think it will eventually stabilize, and possible even grow a bit. There a few of us that used to live there, that consider moving back from time to time. (I've had about all of CA that I can handle)

The population of Lemmon in 1990 was 3932, and in 2000 it was 3363. The estimated population for 2006 was 3025, and for 2010 it is 3012. Full details here (http://www.sdreadytowork.com/CountyProfileReport/EntireReport.aspx?CommunityID=133 - broken link)

When I was still living on my parents farm 20 miles from town, Lemmon seemed huge, but I suppose most farm kids thought the same thing. Main street used to have 3 stop lights. Those were removed years ago, and now it is all 4 way stop signs. (Saved the city a few bucks)

Lemmon is a close knit community. Yes, everyone knows who's doing what. I'm not sure if they still do it or not, but the local newspaper used to call people and ask if they had any news to share. Most of that news was about who stopped in to visit who, where so and so went for a Dr app't. Who came over for dinner etc. The people of Lemmon are very involved in the community activities, and their churches. Seems that there is never a shortage of volunteers when help is needed for a local project. Lemmon just opened up a brand new 12000 sq. ft. Community Center. Cost them $550,000 to build. To date $375,263.66 in CASH has been donated to help pay for the facility. (Try that in a big city)

Your neighbors are always willing to lend a hand. You'll still hear of a local in a bind due to a medical problem. The next thing you know, everyone has pitched in to help him/her out.

When I was still on the farm, I recall a wildland fire quite a ways away from our place. The phones were ringing off the hook, and withing minutes, there were pickup trucks coming from every direction, loaded with buckets of water & burlap bags headed toward the dark smoke. I was 5-6 years old at the time, but I was out there beating back the fire with my wet burlap sack, keeping up with the best of them.

As you mentioned, housing is very reasonable, but most of the homes are very old and quite small. But I'm beginning to think that having a small house would be a good thing...especially when retirement finally comes along.

Life in Lemmon is certainly different that in the larger cities. The people there learn to make do with what is available in town. No running to Walmart or the big warehouse stores when you need that special item (You are looking at about a 3 hour drive to the closest Walmart). You'll have to order it and wait. You will not find any name brand fast food joints, and no chain restaurants, only a few mom and pop joints.

Winters can be rough, the summers can be hot. Hail storms are not uncommon. The price of fuel is a bit higher because of transportation costs. Most homes are heated with electricity, propane or fuel oil. (I don't believe natural gas is available there). But you have 4 full seasons, the fishing and hunting is great. There are some very nice recreation areas. The air is clean. There is no noise pollution. (It is so quite outside of town that we could hear the train going through Lemmon, even though the tracks were ten miles north of us). Occasionally the northern lights will put on a show for you at night.

I guess to sum things up. I think that you'll find Lemmon a very pleasant place to live. It make take some time for you to adjust to the slower pace of life and lack of the instant gratifications that most of us are used to, but it is a very peaceful place.

Some of the things I really miss about Lemmon is hearing the wind as it whistling through the power lines, the sound of the neighbors old 2 cylinder John Deere tractor 3 miles off in the distance, and the cattle bellowing out in the pastures.

I still have some distant realtives living in Lemmon, and a couple of very good friends there. I'm currently 1500 miles away from Lemmon, but I try to get back every 2-3 years to check in on everyone to see how they are doing.

Let us know if you make the move.

Another web site for you. Lemmon SD

Old 09-23-2007, 07:13 PM

SD2CA "Lemmon is indeed a dying town, but I think it will eventually stabilize, and possible even grow a bit. There a few of us that used to live there, that consider moving back from time to time. (I've had about all of CA that I can handle)"

I agree 1000%. I fight for survival in California where it is almost illegal to defend yourself against criminals because of an inept, uncaring legislature. If I step out of my car for one second I put on the burglar alarm, make sure every door is locked and put on the club. When in my house, I keep the door locked as well as windows secured and a loaded handgun within easy reach. At night I keep a gun in the car although the law says it has to be locked with the ammunition in another area to make sure you are unable to defend yourself if needed. Wierd laws and wierder lawmakers. I still think about my dad who had a permanent key in the car which was never removed with all windows rolled down and doors unlocked.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:18 AM

8 posts, read 26,885 times
Default moving to SD or ND

Quote:
I saw a place in searching that has trailer and large garage. If I buy that place I might want to rent out the house because I really prefer to sleep where I work on my artsy stuff.

We probably would not get along but could give it a try to see if could stay out of each other hair. ;-)
I will be going that direction come April.

Heck! - there is grocery store and what looks like was old resturant that I could afford well enough. I wonder if Lemmon zoning laws would allow to build living quarters in back of main street stores.
Well, Maybe see you there next spring or summer. My name is Craig and I am at sunique at lanset dot com

Old 12-22-2007, 02:38 AM

8 posts, read 26,885 times
Default Lemmon uppity with stoplights

[quote=sd2ca;1562919]Lemmon is indeed a dying town, but I think it will eventually stabilize, and possible even grow a bit. There a few of us that used to live there, that consider moving back from time to time. (I've had about all of CA that I can handle)

Agree with had it with California. It was in late sixties/early seventies I was there in my twenties when I thought that Lemmon got uppity with all them stoplights.
Last I was there was last December for my moms funeral. I purchased my own stone set next to hers. Just needs dates on it.

I will be moving that direction and Lemmon seems most probable where I will go - so far with just looking online.

I especially had to laugh about what you said about stoplights after what I said about them when they was up. I never thought that the town needed stop signs let alone stop lights.

My name is Kling but I am not a Kling. I dunno if you knew any Meade or Zacher folks. My kin is from North of Morristown and New Leipzig and Elgin Areas.

Give an email if we might become neighbors. I am sunique at lanset dot com

That petrified park sure looks better than I remember it in the fifties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota