Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:23 PM

204 posts, read 422,505 times

Advertisements

With all the good numbers on SD unemployment we are planning to move from the East Coast (Maryland) for better job opportunities. We are also looking at Nebraska.

Here's who we are..40's, white, family of 6-- outdoorsy, enjoy fishing,hunting, hiking, camping out, I love to garden flowers and veggies.etc. We have 1 middleschooler, 2 elem and one infant. I am a stay at home mom presently, and Dad is in Construction. We are friendly and outgoing, but like to stay in and bonfire/play cards with some friends. We know no-one out west so this is a BIG LEAP!

Here's what we are searching for..small town with a population of no more than 10k smaller is better OUTSIDE Sioux Falls..only because it seems to have the most job opportunities for hubz

A town that has a nice historic main street area, farmers market, parades and all that. TREES, parks, water of some kind. A good park and rec program, ymca things for the kids and us to do.

Good schools and friendly to outsiders kinda ppl. again we won't know anyone.

Safe and clean...I figure thou that most of the area is...we enjoy live music too..but if we are close to Sioux Falls we most likely could go there for our entertainment etc.(? right)

Any help, mostly from other families/ppl that live there..would be great!!

We know about the winters...I will admit..a bit scarry to think about but SD seems to handle it well and have things to occupy oneself.Here everyone stays in....Maryland where we are is SO flat..you need to build the hill before you can sled on it!

Thank you in advance for any info. I will take the ball and run with it!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 07:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
First, I will offer a caveat. The low unemployment rate does not equal an abundance of jobs. The jobs available are not always the highest paying. Often both parents need to work to make ends meet. Quite honestly, I don’t recommend a move unless you have 6 months of savings for living and moving expenses, or a firm job offer lined up.

If you’re looking around Sioux Falls, I’d suggest Parker, Hartford, Dell Rapids, and maybe Garretson. Brandon is nice and would be my preference; however, I have expensive tastes.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:12 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,288 times
We've got hills.
Check out Hot Springs. Population 4500 or so. Lots of history, parks, and an interesting downtown. Modest taxes and decent schools. Winters are generally mild because of the banana belt that runs from Rapid to a little south of Hot springs. You do not mention what kind of construction work your husband does, but I can't find a carpenter to do some changes on my garage. Check it out.

uh

Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
We've got hills.
Check out Hot Springs. Population 4500 or so. Lots of history, parks, and an interesting downtown. Modest taxes and decent schools. Winters are generally mild because of the banana belt that runs from Rapid to a little south of Hot springs. You do not mention what kind of construction work your husband does, but I can't find a carpenter to do some changes on my garage. Check it out.

uh
Or Sturigs, whitewood, Summerset, Black Hawk...

Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 AM

thanks for the feedback..he is a carpenter now but was a Superintendent/Estimator..Jack of all trades! and a very detailed, polite, clean cut one at that! He also has run large scale jobs (commercial, residential developments, medical offices etc) and worked on historic homes too. He also grew up in a large family on a farm, so lots of hard work and learned some great skills too!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:21 AM

one more thing..hearing good things about Yankton? it is a bit farther out but thanks!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,288 times
Yankton should be okay. It is in the southeastern part of the state, while I live in the southwestern part of the state. The climate will be a bit different between the two with Yankton being the most humid in the summer and the winters being a little chillier than Hot Springs and the surrounding area. The economy around Yankton is mostly driven by agriculture and the insurance industry in Souix Falls. Tourism, lumber, & cattle ranching seem to be the drivers in and around the Black Hills. Oil and gas exploration is also pushing the Black Hills economy along, although that may be more in area's surrounding the Black Hills.

uh

Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,269 times
I think Dell Rapids would be a nice fit. They have a wonderful main street and also very easy to get to Sioux Falls from there. The dells and the Palisades state park near there are beautiful, and the city park is located on the Sioux River. I taught in their school system for 10 years and they have excellent teachers and have just the right mix of 'small town charm' and 'urban' influence.

Check it out:

Dell Rapids*

Old 09-30-2012, 11:39 AM

32 posts, read 61,396 times
A bit bigger @ 15K people, but Mitchell is worth a peek.....Was there yesterday. A straight shot to FSD on I90. Good services, good retail, lake, older downtown, nice hospital, CABELA'S, wide spectrum of housing prices, small towns & Ag surrounding it. A little touristy in the summer, but nothing annoying.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:01 PM

993 posts, read 1,766,491 times
I agree that Hot Springs sounds like a good choice... if the VA stays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota