U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2006, 12:46 AM

5 posts, read 23,766 times
Question Cell Coverage

A question for anyone who lives in Rapid City or just knows a lot about it: What would be the best cell phone carrier to go with in Rapid City as far as having the best coverage?

Thanks,
NC
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2006, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 14,892 times
Default Rapid City Cell Phone Coverage

If you're sticking strictly to Rapid City and the more populous Hills areas such as Spearfish, Lead/Deadwood, Sturgis, then Verizon has pretty good coverage. That's the service that I have. However, if you get out into the Black Hills, Verizon's coverage tends to get spotty. One caveat however, is that Verizon has been adding a number of cells in the Hills, and they are starting to get fairly decent digital coverage (at least decent in comparison to others). So for instance in Hill City, where I could never get a Verizon signal, I now get a great signal.

A lot of folks in the area, however, have CellularOne service (now AllTel). They seem to have been around the Hills longer and have better overall Hills coverage. But not having ever had CellularOne service, I can't really speak for it.

Any service that you get is going to have a lot of dead spots out in the Hills when you get farther away from the more well-traveled areas.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 9,003 times
Default Cell coverage

Hello
I have another question regarding cell coverage in the Rapid City and State of South Dakota area.
I currently have nextel and I've noticed it does not work in most of the Rapid City and Black Hills area. Yet last year when I was RVing in that area, I remember seeing a Nextel Store (I think). I have the nation wide plan.
So can anyone tell me for sure if nextel works in that area, and/or I was delusional when I saw a Nextel store last year?
I would appreciate any help in this area.
Dan

Old 07-02-2006, 11:53 PM

14 posts, read 32,473 times
Default Try T-Mobile...

I've traveled from the Atlantic Ocean, to the Pacific Ocean and back again with T-Mobile in my pocket.

I've never had any problems with it, except in the Southeast corner of Colorado.

You might ask some of the SD Natives if they ever use T-Mobile and see what they have to say about it. T-M definitely has some of the best rates and a very wide coverage area.

Other than a few trips to Sturgis, I haven't spent much time in South Dakota, but I sure wish I was there now.

I hope this helps a little.

Take care.

R.H. aka "Bluesstringer"

Old 10-06-2006, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 9,001 times
Recently spent a week in Southern Hills. Could not get a T-mobile signal! ok in Rapid City.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:22 AM

259 posts, read 545,108 times
Verizon and Alltel are the only cell phone providers that sell phones and service in the Rapid City/Black Hills area. I've looked up others in the past just to see if anything else was offered and those are the only two. Sprint/Nextel does not have service on the west side of the state. I had a Sprint phone when I first got here and was roaming. Just little past Sioux Falls and it stops. T-Mobile does have service on the west side but only because of I-90. Even then not widespread enough to have T-Moblie stores. Just enough for travelers.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 23,766 times
Default Decision Time

Thanks For All The Replies Guys. I Will Definitely Be Switching To Alltell When I Move.

Thanks,
NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota