Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 PM

993 posts, read 1,760,333 times

Advertisements

^Well that's just silly. Snakes play an important part to our ecosystem. I'm sorry you're afraid of something that won't bother you unless you bother it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,633,675 times
There are spots where there are more sightings than others when it comes to mountain lions. I've had 3 run ins, up close and personal here kitty, kitty, kitty close calls.

As far as rattle snakes, well any snake. I hate them. Bull snakes don't bother me, they are good for small rodents and an ornery sense of humor. Rattle snake I will kill DRT (dead right there.) I usually give one of my dogs the rattlesnake vaccine. Mainly because I live in the country. The chances of me finding a snake is are greater then being in town.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,326,655 times
I want to go camping in The Badlands in a few weeks, do I have to worry about rattle snakes?

Old 05-07-2013, 02:56 PM

993 posts, read 1,760,333 times
No I wouldn't. Rattlesnakes are more afraid of us than we are of them. They won't go to hunt you down and will never chase you. If do hear the rattling (don't confuse it with the sound that bug makes, I can't think of the bugs name at the moment, but maybe someone else can), STOP AND LOOK. DO NOT MOVE AND DO NOT RUN. Chances are when a rattlesnake rattles, it is because you are about to step on it. That is how people get bit. If you stop, locate the snake, and slowly move away, it will leave you alone.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 22,147 times
Ive lived in the Black Hills my whole life (until I moved to Chadron a few years ago. Can't wait to afford to move back) and the only time I've actually seen a rattler was about a week ago visiting some friends in Hot Springs. Luckily reflexes and a lifetime of being told what to do when you hear that sound made me jump back a few paces (along the path I'd already walked) or I probably wouldn't be typing this message right now. So...they're rare enough but you still have to watch.

So far as the wind...Chadron is extremely windy. First week living here I kept thinking there would be a big thunderstorm because my apt would shake with each gust the way I was only used to from Thunderstorms in the hills.

I guess this must just be my local perspective because this is drilled into our heads all our lives (or at least it was where I grew up) but eradicating all snakes from the US would be a VERY bad thing. Each species out in the prairie and in the hills is practically essential to the survival of the others. Considering that there are several varieties of snakes; garder/gardner (Ive heard them called both), Bull Snakes, Rattlesnakes, Blue Racers, etc. eradicating snakes would have a major impact on the ecosystem.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:50 PM

361 posts, read 857,726 times
If you are camping in the Badlands I would think you would want to take some precautions from Rattlers, a small child was bit by one a couple weeks back. As many times as I have been to various areas around the Black Hills I have not and don't want to see a rattler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota