Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:30 PM

6,893 posts, read 7,521,758 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm finally coming out to the West River area in two weeks to scope things out and talk to some potential employers, and I'm excited! However, after reading the website of one of the local veterinarians I've gotten paranoid about rattlesnakes.

How likely do you folks think it might be for my dog to get bitten in-town in Spearfish, Lead, Custer, Hot Springs, Edgemont or Chadron NE? Any town have more rattlesnake activity than the others? Most active time of year for rattlesnakes?

And - which of those towns typically seems least windy? (Yes, I've looked it up and they all look about the same statistically.)

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 PM

993 posts, read 1,757,924 times
I wouldn't worry about rattlesnakes. Chadron, and Edgemond would have the most I'd imagine, but I wouldn't let it stop me from moving to either. Rattlesnakes are mainly active in the warmer months. I've seen a few rattlesnakes in Rapid City, but those are ones that have been caught by neighbors usually (I lived next to a ravine). Truth be told, I'd be more worried about Mountain Lions than a rattlesnake when it comes to my dogs safety, but again, I wouldn't let it worry me too much. As far as wind, well you are in South Dakota so it will be windy. I don't think there is going too be too much relief anywhere from it.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,879,923 times
You won't find a lot of rattlesnakes, however, I would get a rattlesnake shot for your dog. It's pretty cheap maintenance to get them a shot each year, I do.

Growing up in the Black Hills, I probably saw 4 or 5 rattlesnakes in the Hills. I saw more out on the prairie, east of town.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,842,837 times
Hot Springs or Custer would be the most sheltered from the wind.

uh

Old 04-21-2013, 11:44 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,096,350 times
I would second Custer on wind-less-ness ( ~ sorry, it's late!)...we do get it, but not as badly as other areas. I would worry more about rattle snakes in the plains areas, but you will find them in particular spots - Lookout Mountain in Spearfish is common, as is Bear Butte in Sturgis, or the Badlands. Growing up around the base, we wore cowboy boots to walk to the bus stop...in the hills, not so much, but not impossible. Like others have said, the vaccine is pretty cheap insurance. Depending on your dog's breed, I would definitely be more worried about a lion encounter! My neighbors take a shotgun out in the early am and after dark when turning their dogs out. Mine are small, so they are always leashed when we are out, and we mostly take them out during daylight hours.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 PM

6,893 posts, read 7,521,758 times
Thanks everyone!

That's interesting about mountain lions. Where I live now there are wolves - but wolves generally won't approach if there is a human with the dog. Mountain lions aren't deterred by the smell of human? Do they commonly wander into town? Would they jump a fence into a yard with a dog in it?

Snakes in general don't bother me - but the idea of a rattler seems extra unsettling for some reason. My dog loves to stick her snout into everything when walking (she'll snarf down deer scat if I'm not watching), so, hmmmmm.

Well, I'm looking forward to my trip!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 PM

993 posts, read 1,757,924 times
Like I said, I wouldn't worry about Mountain lions too much. I lived by a ravine and we did have one kill a deer or two by my house, but we called the GF&P and they took care of it. They may be on the outskirts of town in ravines or hills, but as far as in Rapid City, no they don't really wander into town. If you are with your dog, I wouldn't worry about a mountain lion approaching you. It really is nothing to worry about, I was just making a statement that I would worry about them more than rattlesnakes, but in reality I really wouldn't worry about either.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,842,837 times
I would like to add to this thread that wild animals prefer to not bother with humans unless they feel threatened or their newborns are threatened. Most species, including rattlesnakes, mountain lions, and wolves are very good at concealing their dens, nests, etc. However, if one should be out for a hike during birthing season [springtime] and stumbles onto some species of newborn animals, one could have a serious problem with the mama of any species. Other situations where a human would be attacked are more mythical than factual.

uh

Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,096,350 times
I do think it depends on where you live as to how much of a threat the lions are. If you are in town, it's not impossible to have them, but less likely than if you live in a more rural area. As folks have mentioned, though, attacks on humans are exponentially rare. That doesn't mean a hungry juvenile won't jump a fence if there's a snack-sized animal inside it. Usually, the ones that wander into town and are spotted are sick, old or orphaned and looking for an easy meal.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 AM

15 posts, read 39,970 times
Well I am phobic about snakes. I am sorry if my views come as an offensive for snake lovers but If I were President of USA, I would have burnt mid night oil to eradicate snakes at least from USA. Although these snakes seldom come to populated areas and are mostly active in summers, hence poisonous rattle snakes are a danger to human life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota