Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 03:05 PM

174 posts, read 500,487 times

Advertisements

I want to relocate to the plains states for economic reasons. I decided it was between ND, SD, and NE (I live in MI). Your consistently strong economy not just in this recession but in previous ones intrigued me. I've already written off ND. Housing in ND is simply too tight. Williston it is impossible, but I understand landlords are pickier in Fargo since a lot of people bit the North Dakota bug went to Fargo as well.

South Dakota as a whole is not too far behind ND and NE but it seems a lot of people have passed it over in favor of ND. Sioux Falls itself actually is doing better than the state as a whole on economic numbers and some of the poverty in rural SD seems to inflate the rate a bit.

My concern is housing. I imagine housing is not as tight as in Fargo ND because it isn't a college town but I've heard of plenty of people moving to SF, SD as well even if not as many as Fargo or Williston. Should I expect housing to be tight in SF? I plan on looking for temporary housing in spring of next year and doing a job search in either Sioux Falls or Omaha.

What attracts me to Sioux Falls over Omaha is lower crime and lower taxes, but if the housing situation is tight I would not consider it.

Is it easy to find temporary housing there?

Are landlords pickier than average?

What is the average rent for a one bedroom? Two bedroom?

Looking at a few websites it seems Omaha is a bit lower rent wise due to its supply of housing, and it may be easier to find somebody to allow me to rent temporarily in Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,843,421 times
Yes, housing is easy to find in South Dakota. If the price is average, cheap, or high depends on ones personal perspective. Since you have researched a number of markets, what price would you consider inexpensive for what you want?

uh

Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM

4,823 posts, read 6,826,894 times
Housing and rental prices vary all over the scale based on whether you're in a smaller community many miles from a population base (and more job opportunities) or you're looking at living in a bigger town like Sioux Falls or Rapid City.

Since you will be seeking employment, the best odds for that is moving to Sioux Falls.

There is a big demand for rentals in Sioux Falls, which has been spurring a lot of apartment construction in town. The low end for a decent 1 bedroom apartment would be $ 600/Mo. & up while 2 bedrooms will be around $ 800/Mo and up. There is cheaper rent around town and you might get lucky. There are also lots of 2 bedrooms around town for $ 1000/Mo - $ 1300/Mo. with garages.

Here's an old thread with information about weekly rates if you need temporary housing when you first get here. I'd add the Nites Inn to those mentioned in this thread. Also, the info. about the Deluxe Motel is very accurate. Avoid it like the plague. There was another stabbing there just last week.

Starting from scratch

Old 06-14-2013, 01:52 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,181,950 times
Houses in small towns 10+ miles away seem to go for a lot cheaper, at least up here in the Brookings area. Can get a nice 3 bedroom, 1-2 bath with 2 car garage and full basement in Arlington for the same money that would buy you a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, no basement, no garage dump in Brookings. I don't want to commute so I haven't bit on any of these homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota