Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,602 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I will be moving to Sioux Falls soon and have been looking at town homes and wondered if there were areas we wanted to stay away from? I have read that near the detention center and north northwest of downtown are not the greatest areas. Where is downtown located exactly? Have also been trying to find a high speed internet provider, was wondering which ones are offered and are good? As far a cell service goes we have sprint and the airwave 2.5 so we will get great reception in the house but how about other areas around town? Also is there anything else we should know before we move? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:07 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
The best option so to the Sioux Falls section, look around then do a search.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,602 times
On these or another message board, but they were from 2009-1011. That's why I was trying to get current advice. We are looking for a nice quiet place to live in or around Sioux Falls. We have no kids or pets don't plan on having any. I work retail and she is a teacher. We are homebodies so don't need much in the way of outdoor activities. We got to work and stay home 99% of the time. We are currently in California and can't stand the people being fake. We will be renting a truck and driving out there had some issues with moving companies so we feel better doing that ourselves. Also thank you very much for your help any advice will come in handy.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:28 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Old threads are still useful. Nothing about Sioux Falls has changed dramatically in the last couple years.

Here we go, best effort at your questions. Directly west of downtown on the other side of Minnesota Ave stretching south to about 16th Street and as far as Grange Ave and maybe a little farther west in some blocks, not so good. Also north and northwest of downtown I wouldn't move to either. Ironically, between these areas just west of Minnesota Ave. is the Cathedral district. Very nice area with many old mansions most of which have been renovated.

The only other stretch starts directly east and slightly northeast of downtown running about 10-15 blocks.

There you have it, the closest thing Sioux Falls has to a "ghetto". There are lots of older areas that are mostly just blue collar, but not what I would call being very dangerous. Areas like Norton/Froehlich (above the Morrell's packing house hill) and Riverside (straight east of Morrells). ALL the areas I listed are perfectly safe during the daytime. Late night walks by yourself would not be recommended in the sections I first described.

If you can afford it and since you're a couple without kids or pets, you might look into renting a loft apartment downtown. This is a new trend, especially with the young who do not want the responsibilities of keeping up a home or townhouse. Downtown is really in the center of the city. When you're first arriving, you can usually see St. Joseph's Cathedral from a distance. It's very tall AND on a hill. Just drive towards it.

Rest of the city I'd say is relatively safe. There are apartment complexes here and there that I would definitely avoid, but it's tough to geographically explain the ones I'm talking about.

I have Orbitcom at my business for my high speed internet and have been very pleased. There's quite a lot of companies offering this so I'd do some shopping.

Sprint I'm sure will be fine in Sioux Falls, but not so driving around the rest of South Dakota. For full coverage you essentially have 2 choices. Verizon and A T & T. I've had both and have found that Verizon is just a little better. They're both very capable of screwing up your bill.

As to other things you should know. If you've never been here before and you're moving from California, you're in for a real treat when winter comes. South Dakota invented the term "wind chill factor". We'll discuss winter survival packages for your car at a later date. Ask anyone around and they'll be happy to volunteer advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota