Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:35 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,936,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
"No black dirt, UH?"

I was referring to basements and building. I think I posted something earlier on this thread that gardens can do well in the Black Hills and surrounding area.
If one is going to dig a basement they should drill the footprint of house full of holes to discover what is under the first couple of bulldozer scrapes.

uh
You are absolutely correct when it comes to attempting to build with a basement. I stand corrected, I thought you were talking about dirt for a garden.

If you have been up 44 by Johnson's Siding, you'll see the footprint of the old railroad line, on the South side of the highway. There was also a water tram. But the old railroad line went straight through my folk's property. Dad built his house in the cutout of the tracks. There is about a 12 ft bank on each side. He built in the middle of it, and had a drive in basement. Front door of the house went out to the South, level with the ground, as did the back door to the North. That gave him a nice wide 2 car garage in the basement, plus a large utility room, bedroom, and bathroom down stairs. On the opposite side of the house where the tracks would have continued on, he filled it in.

Further down in the meadow, is where the good black dirt was. Dad had 10 acres, and he sold 2 acres at the far end. The new owner wanted to build a 4000 sq ft home, with full basement. He used dynamite to dig the basement.

It was funny, during the winter, the deer used his driveway as a place to get out of the wind and snow. Dad had a yard light that was motion sense and he finally had to change it to a switch because the deer turned it on and off so often his electric bill was high. He used fuel oil to heat the house, but had a wood stove also. He had a 1000 gallon tank outside, and a 250 gallon tank in the basement so that he had at least 250 gallons that didn't freeze and not flow. The way it was plumbed is that you opened a valve and it drained out of the big tank into the small tank. It also gave him a heads up when he was down to the last 250 gallons of fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,847,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThinkin' View Post
Some of the houses up here have huge honkin' chunks of ledge rock in the basements. It was too expensive to blast the rocks, so the foundations were built around and on top of them and the boulders are just part of the basements now. (Think rocks the size of two or three cars or bigger.) It's the weirdest thing to walk into one of those places.
That is interesting. We have an old hotel in Hot Springs that has a huge rock in the lobby. They thought they could chip it away when the Hotel was built. The rock just got bigger & bigger as they chipped it down. The builder finally gave up and built the hotel around it.

uh

Old 10-15-2013, 06:34 AM

4,841 posts, read 6,856,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
That is interesting. We have an old hotel in Hot Springs that has a huge rock in the lobby. They thought they could chip it away when the Hotel was built. The rock just got bigger & bigger as they chipped it down. The builder finally gave up and built the hotel around it.

uh
Is it a Stonybrook Suite?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,847,652 times
Ah, no, but you can get a helluva bourbon on the rocks at their bar.

uh

Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 AM

24 posts, read 40,751 times
Cool to hear about the different ways people deal with and utilize different topography. I bet the deer really appreciated that wind shelter in the driveway.

Are there laws against feeding wildlife in South Dakota? Like deer? We feed the here (not illegal) but we would not feed them if we lived in town.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThinkin' View Post
Cool to hear about the different ways people deal with and utilize different topography. I bet the deer really appreciated that wind shelter in the driveway.

Are there laws against feeding wildlife in South Dakota? Like deer? We feed the here (not illegal) but we would not feed them if we lived in town.
It is illegal to feed the deer. There are two things. One, that is called "Baiting". Some states allow baiting, like Texas. Two, you make those deer dependent upon human intervention and always getting free food and handouts. Now the deer have to register as Democrats.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 AM

324 posts, read 711,746 times
Just saying - unless you are FLDS, I would avoid Pringle
The New Polygamists on the Block: Warren Jeffs

Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,650,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Just saying - unless you are FLDS, I would avoid Pringle
The New Polygamists on the Block: Warren Jeffs
Two posts saying the same thing. Their compound is very isolated. Repeating yourself about something way out in the sticks is pathetic.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Two posts saying the same thing. Their compound is very isolated. Repeating yourself about something way out in the sticks is pathetic.
That is typical of somebody that has never set foot in the area.

Hawknest, you do know that Pringle is not even a town, right? It's a junction in the highway. But, you wouldn't know that, after reading one isolated article printed some years ago.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 AM

324 posts, read 711,746 times
I've spent a lot of time in SD, WY & MT lately dealing with obnoxious landowners. I was merely pointing out the fact that they moved from TX to SD - where as you say it's not a town but a road junction. That's where most towns began as junctions. In this case - there are about 100 residents with a PO Address. Smaller than some "towns" I've been in lately - like Broadus & Crow Agency, and larger than Lysite and Wyola.

Last edited by Hawknest; 11-15-2013 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota