U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-26-2007, 10:26 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,325,182 times
Default Gas Stations in South Dakota

In the past several months or so, ConocoPhillips decide to pull out of most of South Dakota (except for the western 3rd and Dakota Dunes) along with other states (parts of ND, Nevada, Arizona, and Wisconsin and out of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Minnesota) and BP out of most of South Dakota (except for Sioux Falls and the southeastern part of South Dakota such as Vermillion, Beresford, Elk Point) and other states completely (North Dakota, Wyoming, Texas, and Louisiana).

My question is if you have noticed any changes or heard of any changes? I am curious of what the Conoco and Phillips 66 stations changed to and what BPs will be changed to in other areas.

Most of the Phillips 66 stations in the Sioux Falls area and the Conoco stations in Vermillion and Beresford changed to BP and a couple Phillips 66s changed to independents or Clark brand (common around the Great Lakes region).
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 PM

17,426 posts, read 21,666,576 times
In Wyoming, we don't have Phillips 66 stations. Nor do we have BP stations.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:59 PM

I have been to Wyoming before and noticed a lot of Conoco, Exxon, and Sinclair stations with some Shell and Cenex stations.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 PM

106 posts, read 348,626 times
I too am curious about this. We lost all Conoco here in Nebraska (switching to Phillips 66, which is still the same parent, but odd none the less) and have also recently lost Texaco. What brands do you all have in your hometowns?

Also, it seems that Mobil and Exxon have almost pulled out of southeast South Dakota. Almost all the Mobils in Sioux Falls have closed and the infamous Exxon and Mobil located right across the interstate from each other right as you pass into SD from Iowa (Exit 3) both changed as well. weird.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:03 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,101,985 times
Cenex seems to be the brand on the move up in Wisconsin. It also seems to be popular along I-90 from Wisconsin to Rapid, but I have not done a count. They seem to be the main supplier of ethanol, so if that is a factor, I would expect to see more Marathon stations in some of the area's mentioned.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:18 PM

A number of the Texacos in South Dakota either went independent or switched to another brand. Most of the ones in South Dakota, Minnesota, Western Iowa, and a number of other areas switched to Shell in the 2002-2005 time frame.

The gas stations common in Eastern SD include Cenex, Caseys, Kum & Go (in the larger towns), BP, Shell, and Sinclair. Sioux Falls still has two Mobils and Humboldt has a Mobil still going from what I see. There are a few Clark stations.

Western SD has Conoco/Phillips 66, Sinclair, Exxon, few Mobils, Loaf N Jug, Cenex, Fresh Start, BP (for the time being), and Shell (in Hot Springs and areas east of Wall/Kadoka).

Both areas have a few independents.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:21 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,446,968 times
Rapid City consists mostly of Exxon, BP, and Cenex. Mobil, which is part of Exxon, has also been springing up everywhere. I can probably count all the Conoco/Philips we have in Rapid City on one hand. There are not very many.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:12 PM

I forgot that Sioux Falls has a SuperAmerica and a Holiday, which are both Minneapolis/St. Paul-based stations. It has two Freedoms (along with those in Watertown, Huron, Mitchell, Yankton, and Vermillion), which is Minnesota-based. Three of its Hy-Vee stations have gas stations and Wal-Mart has gas. Yankton also has a Hy-Vee gas station. I am sure that Rapid City and Mitchell have Wal-Mart gas stations. Kum & Go and Casey's are Des Moines area based stations.

Danny Banany, have the BPs changed over to different brands or do you know what some of them in Rapid will swith to? I remember reading in the Rapid City Journal article about the topic a month ago.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:29 AM

106 posts, read 348,626 times
According to BP's station locator, there are 10 locations in Rapid City. What's odd is that is more locations than come up for Exxon/Mobil, ConocoPhillips, or Cenex. And they're the ones pulling out. I guess it opens up the market quite a bit...

Old 11-28-2007, 06:41 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,446,968 times
Chris, BP is still just BP. I have not heard anything about a change, but that does not mean it isn't going to happen. We too have Wal*Mart gas stations and Safeway too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota