Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 11:56 AM

50 posts, read 90,385 times

Advertisements

How many people are employed at this VA location? Do most live in Hot Springs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 01:44 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,846,760 times
The last info I had was that there are about 200 people still employed at the V A Hospital in Hot Springs. I assume they live in or near Hot Springs, simply because that makes sense to me.

uh

Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the response. I assume this could be a negative for real estate values moving forward. Since you are in Hot Springs, is there a technical reason why homes do not use nat gas for heating?? Are electricity rates high?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:23 AM

I moved here nearly 3 yrs ago from Wisc. Electric rates here are about 20% less than I was paying in Wisc. Because of the milder climate [as compared to Wisc] and the geo-thermal formation which Hot Springs sits on, it is not necessary to have forced air heat. My house has Cove heating, which is basically electric radiant heat with a separate "heater" & thermostat in each room. There are many people that heat their houses with propane, but I am pleased with the cost and effectiveness of my electric heat. We did buy an inexpensive, portable humidifier that adds to our comfort.

I was told by a local builder that cooling is a larger issue than heating, but we have not had much of a problem with cooling either. Having said that, the former owner did add insulation in our attic and we do have a wall air conditioner to take the edge off during the hottest months. We also have a large, shade tree on the west side of our house.

uh

Old 02-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Thanks again Harley. I am living near Minneapolis and retired for a year. Looking to relocate due to high cost of living, high taxes, and a slightly warmer winter. Did you move from WI to retire in Hot Springs? What were your key factors? Population does not seem to be growing, so it can't be a retirement hot spot (I don't need that anyway).

Old 02-05-2014, 05:43 PM

Yes, I moved to Hot Springs shortly after retiring. There were multiple factors involved in my decision. The decision to leave Wisconsin was based on the climate. Not necessarily the cold and snowy winters, but the humidity and increasing air pollution. The higher humidity added a chill to the winter temperatures that I no longer wanted to put up with.

I knew from the beginning that I would like to live in a relatively small town, in an area that was hilly or mountainous. I knew from my childhood in a rural community that the county seats had a handful of county and state jobs that supported more business services that many small towns have. Services such as health care, shopping, restaurants, etc. My research taught me that crime follows drugs and drugs follow the Interstate, so I wanted to be at least 30 miles from the I-system. Somehow I also learned about banana belts which are sheltered area's on the leeward side of any mountain range. Once I had learned about those items, I looked on a map and there was the Black Hills [the closest mountain range to the grandkids] and there was Hot Springs, 60 miles south of the interstate and in a banana belt. Further research showed that taxes were reasonable, housing costs were modest, & business services were more than adequate. We drove out here and have not looked back since.

uh

Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 AM

UH, enjoyed your analysis. Everyone's can be different, but it is amazing how close our lines of thought are. Major difference for me is that taxes and cost of living are at the top of my list followed by most of your factors.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:50 AM

Property taxes are difficult to compare by looking state to state because the local school districts eat up the lions share of property taxes. One probably has to look at a couple of properties and then make a decision. Of course, I imagine you know that S D has no income tax and the sales tax rate can vary from community to community. Cost of living is impossible to compare, except for housing. There again, one has to look at a couple of properties and then decide.

uh

Old 02-06-2014, 02:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,926,971 times
Hot Springs is a beautiful area and the Black Hills afford opportunities for the outdoors.

I wouldn't live in Hot Springs, I need Mountains. hahaha But that is just me.

If and when the VA shuts down in Hot Springs, I don't think you are going to see a major housing market. Even though the VA is shutting down the Hospital Portion, they will keep the Nursing home and such, open. I would guestimate that only about 30% of the employee's will actually be let go, the rest will be used in some capacity there. Although the Medical Hospital will shut down, the Medical center for appointments, colds, flu, boo boo's and such, will actually expand to something better than what they currently have. I really don't think it will be a major bump in Hot Springs economy, one way or the other. That's just my 2 cents worth.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:31 PM

" I really don't think it will be a major bump in Hot Springs economy, one way or the other."

FWIW, I agree. Many of the hospital services have been farmed out long ago, so a lot of the economic damage has already been absorbed.

uh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota