Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM

184 posts, read 336,871 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a position in Vermillion that would require me to move from Minneapolis, about 300 miles away. We'd be moving the equivalent of a 3 bedroom household, and have a lot of smaller "stuff" like books but no enormous or high value items like pianos.

The company is offering a relocation benefit of $5K to assist in moving my materials. It's for a public university position so I don't think I'll get much movement on this number.

Does this seem a realistic $$ for our situation? Yes, I know it all depends on our individual situation, and of course we'll call companies for in-person quotes. I don't trust the over-the phone or internet quotes that try to lowball. I'm trying to get a more general, ballpark idea while I'm in the negotiating process--if it's going to be more like 10K or something, I'd love to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 AM

4,841 posts, read 6,856,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post
I'm considering a position in Vermillion that would require me to move from Minneapolis, about 300 miles away. We'd be moving the equivalent of a 3 bedroom household, and have a lot of smaller "stuff" like books but no enormous or high value items like pianos.

The company is offering a relocation benefit of $5K to assist in moving my materials. It's for a public university position so I don't think I'll get much movement on this number.

Does this seem a realistic $$ for our situation? Yes, I know it all depends on our individual situation, and of course we'll call companies for in-person quotes. I don't trust the over-the phone or internet quotes that try to lowball. I'm trying to get a more general, ballpark idea while I'm in the negotiating process--if it's going to be more like 10K or something, I'd love to know!
My guess is you can get better rates from Sioux Falls. A friend of mine owns a moving company, but he now only handles commercial moves. He "estimated" that it would cost about $ 3,000 if you did all the packaging and boxing of items. If the mover does that you can add another approx. $ 1,500. This is just his estimates for what one moving truck would cost for residential.

Two companies to call for quotes that would haul out of the Twin Cities and have interstate licenses from the Sioux Falls area that would deliver to Vermillion are:

Brouwer Relocation, Inc. - Phone # (800) 547-2420

Parker Transfer & Storage - Phone # (888) 543-6683

Hope this helps.

Incidentally, I'm heading to the Sioux Falls Arena at 1:00 as the USD Coyote women's team is playing in the championship for the Summit League. They will be playing U. of Denver. The winner gets an automatic bid to the big dance National championships. They knocked off 5 time Summit League champions South Dakota State yesterday.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks jmgg! That is extremely helpful. I'll add those to my list of places to call.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,413,287 times
Have you considered DIY with a Penske truck? Also Pods. Check out the "general moving" threads in the main forums.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:48 PM

56 posts, read 223,826 times
I second the recommendation for Brouwer. We've used them twice so far, and will be calling them when we move again. Mileage is a huge part of the moving expense, but packing yourself will definitely save some money. I would guess that 5k would come close if they came and packed you, you may have to chip in a few hundred if you have a lot of stuff. Definitely get quotes from a couple different places.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Ah, sorry--I didn't realize there was a general moving section. I'm pretty new to the site. I'll check that out. We do plan on packing ourselves, so that should help. Definitely do not want the DIY route, but we'll consider Pods if the full service option is too pricey.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:39 PM

6,457 posts, read 6,628,335 times
Sounds really low to me. We've relocated numerous times and were given substantially more than that. We've always been given money for a house hunting trip, temporary living, all costs associated with the sale of old home & purchase of a new home (realtor's commission, loan fees, title work, etc), if we took a loss on the sale of our house they reimbursed us for that, and many other costs associated with relocating.

There are many expenses beyond the cost of the actual moving of your stuff, so be sure to consider everything.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Sounds really low to me. We've relocated numerous times and were given substantially more than that. We've always been given money for a house hunting trip, temporary living, all costs associated with the sale of old home & purchase of a new home (realtor's commission, loan fees, title work, etc), if we took a loss on the sale of our house they reimbursed us for that, and many other costs associated with relocating.

There are many expenses beyond the cost of the actual moving of your stuff, so be sure to consider everything.
I know the larger companies like PepsiCo offers the same deal in most cases. However, I'm also familiar with at least one big (iconic) company that only provides that type of relo at the executive level. So, it does depend but ultimately, if a company truly regards you as an asset, then they will find a way to come to terms on getting you there.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:50 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,399,428 times
Years ago, when my husband transferred to another location, his employer arranged with the moving company and paid the bill. The movers packed our belongings and in some of the boxes were our waste baskets still containing trash.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:38 PM

38 posts, read 59,232 times
5k is high. hell from california to sd they have offered from 2600 to 3100 for a 4 bedroom house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota