Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 07:51 PM

38 posts, read 59,090 times

Advertisements

me and my wife are going to move from california to south dakota. the one town ive found a house and like is in webster. ( yes we have back ups in other towns ) i remodel homes and my wife is a adoptions social worker. we are hoping we will be able to find work after we move. i have already concluded its every guys dream in the sport department. and after reading other posts have seen what i was hoping for, friendly people. i will be coming over there in the next month or 2 to cheak things out. can you guys give me some ideas about the town, the state, oh hell anything lol

art
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:30 AM

ok im really confused here. im seeing posts about people saying property taxes are high. that in itself to me in California is wrong. property taxes here are minimum 2k a year depending on size of the house to give you an example. you guys want to see high taxes come here. and you say it gets hot there??? it was 107 most of last week lol. i will say from reading winters will be interesting. i know from reading here that sd has it made when it comes to taxes and prices for stuff. everything there is cheaper then here by a lot. seriously. even all the home prices all around sd are cheap. here a 3 bed 2 bath will run easy into 200k with no yard and in a bad neighborhood. jobs here. good luck. most cant even get into fast food if they tried. also sales taxes here is 7 1/4. utilities are outrageous monthly electric in summer 300 easy/ winter 175, gas winter 300 easy/summer 125. registration for a new car is minimum 400 a year. hell my 2007 4 runner is still 375 a year. my god i can go on and on. to me sd is a dream land. not only is it gorgeous, the people sound awesome, truly an outdoors mans back yard. and everything is to me looks to be almost 3/4 cheaper then here. oh and no state taxes. . the plus for me and my wife is when we sell we are buying our place outright so no payment there. all our cars are paid for. in all honesty if im correct its probable we could live on a minimum wage job and survive nicely.

if im wrong please correct me. i would really hate to make a mistake in this move. its going to be a one shot thing that i hope we dont regret.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:48 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,843,858 times
You are probably right, but a visit would be wise before you make a commitment. I am not famaliar with Webster at all. It is difficult to compare property taxes state to state because property taxes tend to be determined and spent locally. Consequently property taxes will vary considerably from one town to another depending on schools, crime, etc, etc. I moved from central wisconsin to Hot Springs in the southern Black Hills 4 yrs ago and found property taxes to be less than i/2 of what I was used to, however the locals here are complaining about how high the taxes are. On that point, I think they should try living somewhere else for a while.
Wages in SD are usually lower than most other parts of the country so, I would pay very close attention to available employment opportunities and what they pay. You do not mention any children so I assume that schools would not be a consideration.
The climate is considered to be dryer than many other states, but much of California can be dry also, so that part may not be a factor. Most of the Dakotas [North as well as South] are in a wind tunnel. If Webster is located on the prairie, I would highly recommend at least a week long visit and pay close attention to the wind. It has been known to drive people insane. The winters can be rough. There are sheltered areas such as the east side of the Black Hills or some of the Missouri River breaks, but you have to check them out.

Good Luck,

uh

Old 06-11-2014, 05:30 PM

i have a 5 year old girl. the schools around here are bad was going to home school her here, but heard the schools there are really good. also my 19 year old son and 17 year old adopted daughter are coming with. both are done with school but are joining the job corp that is in sd anyway.

as for dry oh god yes is it dry here. we are right now in the central valley. and i do plan about a week stay. going to check out quite a few houses. got to have a back up if the one you want doesnt stay on market.

Missouri River breaks???? where is that?

Old 06-11-2014, 05:32 PM

32 posts, read 61,125 times
Moved here from the SF Bay Area 19 years ago.....No regrets, but tread carefully. Everything you have spoken of has some basis in fact, BUT, it's not all cut & dry. Depending on your age, life expierience, & adaptability, there can be a lot of bugaboos in making such a transition......I wholeheartedly agree with Unclecharley on making a fact finding visit if you haven't already.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM

"Missouri River breaks???? where is that?"

I was referring to the hilly country along the Missouri River and the associated reservoirs. Much of that country is on Indian Reservations, but there are pockets that may appeal to you. A check of a Highway map should give you several clues. Also, those reservoirs have world class walleye, bass, & northern pike fishing. Hunting for turkey, deer, waterfowl, & pheasants is also very big.

You will not support a family on a minimum wage job in S D. I am retired and love S D, however if I needed a job, I would probably look elsewhere. The exception might be near Sioux Falls where wages are higher.
I live in an all electric house and my average electric bill runs about $170 per month. I pay $65 per month for water. My property taxes are about $1800.00 per yr.
Another factor to consider is life style. If you and your family are used to a suburban/urban lifestyle you will be in for some shock and a lot of adjusting if you move to a rural town in S D. The services that you currently take for granted are simply not available in a rural setting. You will also find that rural people are much more self-reliant than someone from an urban setting. The differences are simply not in either parties experiance.

uh

Last edited by uncleharley; 06-11-2014 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 06-11-2014, 09:19 PM

where we live know is a nice quiet out of the way court, no sidewalks. we know all the neighbors and help each other out. have to drive a minimum of 30 min to an hour depending on what is needed from a store. for work we have to drive min. and hour or more. we never really liked the big city dwellings and we dont party, dont drink. (well wife might have a drink once in a while :P ) i myself love the snow. good or bad. i actually cant wait to come up in the next month or so to hang out in the starte for about a week, deciding on where we want to actually move to there. but i do have a place i found we liked where your talking about in burke. at least i think thats the area. from my search its where it pops up at.

what do any of you think about burke and the surrounding areas???
also springfield and hot springs we got an eye on also that have a house or so to look at

Old 06-12-2014, 06:32 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,596,385 times
Additionally, to visiting first, make sure you have a job lined up before moving. The towns you're throwing out are small, with few jobs and often low wages.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:21 AM

Since I live in Hot Springs, I am very familiar with it. It has been a great place to retire to, but if I needed a job, I would go somewhere else. Possibly the oil fields of North Dakota. The new hospital in Hot Springs has some employment opportunities if you are a Doctor or other medical professional. Otherwise the closest jobs are in Rapid, about a 1 hr drive north. There is some seasonal work around Custer and farther north, but when the tourists go home, that dries up.

uh

Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 AM

32 posts, read 61,125 times
Burke is your typical, smaller, west river town. Nice folks there, but most things to do require a decent commute. Springfield centers around water recreation & the prison that is there. Housing availability can be slim, as many houses
are utilized by employees or families staying near their incarcerated loved ones. Other than the prison at Springfield, employment opprotunities in either location are limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota