Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:29 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,096,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
I think Custer is a terrible choice. It is mainly a retirement community and a tourist town. Have your heard that basically the entire town shuts down in the winter except for a few stores and 2 restaurants? Thats not an area I would recommend moving, especially with your husband being gone a lot. I would think you could become depressed and bored. You should look at Spearfish more.
Depending on who you are and what you like, this may be perfect for you. There are many of us who live here year round and we survive just fine when the businesses close for the winter. It's a way of life in a lot of the hill towns, and we are okay with that, which is why we live here. It's not all retirees - there are lots of 30 & 40-somethings in the area with kids that attend the local schools. There are things to do, you just have to not be a boring homebody and get out and find them. My husband is away a lot during the week in the winter, and I can't say that I've ever been depressed or bored because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 PM

83 posts, read 139,509 times
No8fann, thank you for your response. It was much appreciated. I was feeling a little discouraged thinking about Custer and the age gap. We will not be retirees for quite some time, but we are empty nesters. There are so many things to consider when making a big move. I have to say that I am excited about the prospect of moving to the Black Hills. To be honest, SD was never on my list of places to move to it's just a door that seems to be opening. We have lived in a lot of different places and Colorado was our dream for many years. When the opportunity arose for us to move up here to Northwestern Colorado it literally was a dream come true. Such beauty. Then my first winter came and we had over 500 inches of snow and the second brought around 450. After the 3rd year, the novelty wore off and on top of the weather I had absolutely no friends. So, for me making true friends and feeling a part of a community are really important. We have a little time to ponder, as our house still needs to go on the market and sell before I move, but I am truly hoping that the beauty of the Black Hills holds within it beautiful people as well.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:09 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,843,421 times
"I am truly hoping that the beauty of the Black Hills holds within it beautiful people as well."

It does.
uh

Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 PM

191 posts, read 284,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
Depending on who you are and what you like, this may be perfect for you. There are many of us who live here year round and we survive just fine when the businesses close for the winter. It's a way of life in a lot of the hill towns, and we are okay with that, which is why we live here. It's not all retirees - there are lots of 30 & 40-somethings in the area with kids that attend the local schools. There are things to do, you just have to not be a boring homebody and get out and find them. My husband is away a lot during the week in the winter, and I can't say that I've ever been depressed or bored because of it.
It might be perfect for retirees and people that already have families. By the way it is mainly retired people there. The average age for Custer is nearly 50. After your retirees you have some families in there 30's and 40's. Then theres about 3 people in there 20's. For a single person it is a horrible place. I know 3 to 4 people there that have good jobs there and can't find a girlfriend or even friends to hang out with. Sorry but the only nice people there were transplants from other states and a select few locals. When somebody moves to a new area, especially a small town they should be able to at least make a few friends. Getting to the point where your so lonely that you have to beg to hang out with people and have them blow you off, knowing your situation and not even give you a chance is disgusting and I have never seen that anywhere except Custer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycodmom View Post
No8fann, thank you for your response. It was much appreciated. I was feeling a little discouraged thinking about Custer and the age gap. We will not be retirees for quite some time, but we are empty nesters. There are so many things to consider when making a big move. I have to say that I am excited about the prospect of moving to the Black Hills. To be honest, SD was never on my list of places to move to it's just a door that seems to be opening. We have lived in a lot of different places and Colorado was our dream for many years. When the opportunity arose for us to move up here to Northwestern Colorado it literally was a dream come true. Such beauty. Then my first winter came and we had over 500 inches of snow and the second brought around 450. After the 3rd year, the novelty wore off and on top of the weather I had absolutely no friends. So, for me making true friends and feeling a part of a community are really important. We have a little time to ponder, as our house still needs to go on the market and sell before I move, but I am truly hoping that the beauty of the Black Hills holds within it beautiful people as well.
You will probably have a hard time making friends there too. Custer is way smaller than Steamboat Springs.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:29 PM

Steamboat is a very different community. Elitism at it's finest. Everyone is very nice superficially, but if you weren't born here, have money and attend yoga every day, ski 5 days a week or ride a street bike in Tour d'France gear you don't get into the "inner circle." I attended a church here for 5 years, taught Bible Study for 3 and have never received a phone call from anyone in the past year asking where I've been, when I stopped going. I went to every sporting event and volunteered for multiple school functions and never felt a part of this community. It's been the strangest experience I have ever had. I know ALOT of people, but truly ..... I've made no friends. It's been a crazy experience, and I hope my new home, brings opportunity to share life with some down to earth, welcoming people. So, size of town doesn't matter, it's the people that live there. For many that are into the show and tell Steamboat is a Paradise, just not mine. Thanks everyone for you input. I hope we find the right spot that we can finally call home. It's been a rough 9 years.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:04 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,843,421 times
Whoa girl. My original post was about the commute thru hells canyon on hwy 18 while it is under construction. According to No8's post, that construction will be largely completed by the time you are ready to move. Custer is a great place to live. So is most of the Black Hills.

If you are basing your decision on 1984's posts, for some perspective just look at his/her previous posts by clicking on the name. You will find that particular person has been unhappy in quite a few different places.

uh

Old 07-17-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
Whoa girl. My original post was about the commute thru hells canyon on hwy 18 while it is under construction. According to No8's post, that construction will be largely completed by the time you are ready to move. Custer is a great place to live. So is most of the Black Hills.

If you are basing your decision on 1984's posts, for some perspective just look at his/her previous posts by clicking on the name. You will find that particular person has been unhappy in quite a few different places.

uh
No I haven't. Just Custer.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:22 PM

OH ... UH... didn't mean to give you the wrong impression. What I was saying was I may live in a bigger town, but it doesn't matter. What I am looking for are genuine people. I wasn't passing any judgment on Custer. Like I said, many people believe I live in paradise, but based on my personal values this is a horrible fit for me. We are considering all the options. I am convinced that South Dakota will be a better fit for us, no matter where we settle. Though that October 2013 snow storm is making it hard for me to believe I will see less snow.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:00 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,096,839 times
For some people, it's impossible for them to be happy anywhere. In fact, they are most happy when they are unhappy.

I, and many other "transplants" are perfectly happy in Custer. We aren't 20-somethings. We have good jobs. We are looking for a good place to raise our kids and retire, which seems to be the aim of the OP. There are plenty of people to socialize with if you make the effort, and they are truly welcoming to new people. And I do not get the impression that they are anything but genuinely happy for us to be here. Make an effort to get involved in the community - opportunities are plentiful - you won't be disappointed. I won't say there is a booming singles scene - that's not what Custer aims to be. It sounds like it would be a good fit for you. Like I said, PM me if you have more specific questions. I will do what I can to point you in the right direction.

If you want to be excluded, try living in a small ranch community like Belle Fourche. Those people really know how to close doors. I had an experience there similar to the OP in Steamboat Springs. Nice to your face, but if you fell off the planet, they wouldn't notice, much less care.

Have a GREAT weekend! (And here's hoping where ever 1984 is, they do something that makes them happy this weekend...)

Old 07-18-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
For some people, it's impossible for them to be happy anywhere. In fact, they are most happy when they are unhappy.

I, and many other "transplants" are perfectly happy in Custer. We aren't 20-somethings. We have good jobs. We are looking for a good place to raise our kids and retire, which seems to be the aim of the OP. There are plenty of people to socialize with if you make the effort, and they are truly welcoming to new people. And I do not get the impression that they are anything but genuinely happy for us to be here. Make an effort to get involved in the community - opportunities are plentiful - you won't be disappointed. I won't say there is a booming singles scene - that's not what Custer aims to be. It sounds like it would be a good fit for you. Like I said, PM me if you have more specific questions. I will do what I can to point you in the right direction.

If you want to be excluded, try living in a small ranch community like Belle Fourche. Those people really know how to close doors. I had an experience there similar to the OP in Steamboat Springs. Nice to your face, but if you fell off the planet, they wouldn't notice, much less care.

Have a GREAT weekend! (And here's hoping where ever 1984 is, they do something that makes them happy this weekend...)
Exactly. Like you said, your not in your 20's. It is a horrible place for 20-somethings. Especially Single 20-somethings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota