U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 05:37 PM

18,696 posts, read 40,109,425 times

Advertisements

Could it possibly be The Devils Backbone? It's just off of 44, but it's clear down by White River. South of Murdo about 18 miles or so.

I can't find any registered mines called the Devils Bathtub.

did your friend give you any kind of directions? North, South, East, West of Rapid?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 PM

27,971 posts, read 37,318,387 times
Is there a landmark labeled Devil's bathtub in Spearfish Canyon? If I recall its on the path less taken.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:50 PM

608 posts, read 879,144 times
I think I remember taking a cave tour in Lead earlier this year and hearing the "Devil's Bathtub" mentioned. If I recall, it's located around Spearfish.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Is there a landmark labeled Devil's bathtub in Spearfish Canyon? If I recall its on the path less taken.
Can't find anything in Spearfish Canyon. I searched in 3 mile blocks for about 20 miles in all directions of Spearfish. Sorry, nothing named Devil's bathtub.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:03 PM

147 posts, read 601,848 times
If you talk to some long-time locals in Spearfish they may have heard of Devil’s Bathtub. It’s not a mine though.

Back in the 70’s I was at a summer camp in the Hills, and our group hiked into Spearfish Canyon to Devil’s Bathtub. It was actually a deep pool of water that you went into by sliding down a moss-covered rock/waterfall. I never forgot how much fun it was, but could not remember where exactly it was. When I was in Spearfish a couple of summers ago I asked the waiter in the restaurant we were eating at if he had ever heard of the place. He asked around and the cook came out and said it was up near Bridal Veil Falls. The only problem now he said, is that the area is overgrown in poison ivy so few people venture that way.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoan View Post
If you talk to some long-time locals in Spearfish they may have heard of Devil’s Bathtub. It’s not a mine though.

Back in the 70’s I was at a summer camp in the Hills, and our group hiked into Spearfish Canyon to Devil’s Bathtub. It was actually a deep pool of water that you went into by sliding down a moss-covered rock/waterfall. I never forgot how much fun it was, but could not remember where exactly it was. When I was in Spearfish a couple of summers ago I asked the waiter in the restaurant we were eating at if he had ever heard of the place. He asked around and the cook came out and said it was up near Bridal Veil Falls. The only problem now he said, is that the area is overgrown in poison ivy so few people venture that way.
I did a detailed search around the Falls and can't find anything. But my mapping system probably wouldn't show a pool in the stream.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:36 PM

205 posts, read 699,268 times
This link is to a picture of Devil's Bathtub from the South Dakota Magazine website:
South Dakota Magazine » Favorite Photos - Devil’s Bathtub

Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 AM

147 posts, read 601,848 times
Thank you prairierose for the photo and article! That is just how I remembered it and it brings back some fond memories. It sounds like the area is difficult to find - and I'm not sure when I was there how we ever found it. It would be fun to go back and try to locate again, although it appears from the article that the water level has dropped considerably.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 16,917 times
Vermillion still has "the bottoms," which was in the flood path. It's an interesting area of abandoned businesses and houses. However people still live in residences down there. Nothing fancy. Just one or two store wood frame houses. There's a seed company and a grain elevator, too. So it still thrives. Way up the hill is the "new" Vermillion where most residents live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I have a 1930s highway map of South Dakota that have quite a few towns listed that are dried up now. I remember that there is are a few ghost towns near Sioux Falls (oddly enough), which fizzled out decades ago. Klondike (even though it across the Big Sioux River in Iowa) is north of Canton and directly east on the road that many Lennox people take to I-29. The town had an old flour mill. Hooker is another one but in the southeastern part of Turner County in the Viborg/Centerville areas. Schindler (even though it is a cluster of houses now) was a thriving town northeast of Harrisburg on SD Highway 11 earlier in the 20th century and fizzled out in the middle part of the century, but resembles more of a development of acreages mostly built in the 1970s and 1980s. In the 1960s and earlier maps, there used to be a West Sioux Falls and a South Sioux Falls, but those were absorbed into Sioux Falls.

Blood Run was an old Indian settlement, before the Sioux came to the area, and has artificacts and is northeast of Harrisburg along the Big Sioux River. Iowa has been more proactive with preserving the area, but it would be neat to have it as a park with an interpretive site.

Vermillion used to be next to the river until a big flood in the 1880s. The community was relocated to the higher ground a couple miles north.

The history of these towns, ghost towns and actual towns, are very intereting and as much should be preserved as money allows.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 16,917 times
TV game showman Bob Barker, who passed away recently, grew up in Igloo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfergirl60 View Post
You might look at Provo. I have been trying to get info on this once thriving little town that sat just outside of the Black Hills Ordinance Disposal Facility, also known as Igloo, back in the 60s. I am still looking for any info on this place. It is SSW of Edgemont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota