Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:56 AM

62 posts, read 200,921 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My wife and I own land west of Custer and we are coming up there this summer. We would love to meet some new friends in the Custer area on line and get to know you so we know some people before we come up that way. We are in our mid-late 50's. If you feel so inclined to write us we would love to talk. Hope to hear from you.
Les

Last edited by erosinspirit; 12-25-2007 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: Change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosinspirit View Post
Hi all,
My wife and I own land west of Custer and we are coming up there this summer. We would love to meet some new friends in the Custer area on line and get to know you so we know some people before we come up that way. We are in our mid-late 50's. If you feel so inclined to write us we would love to talk. Hope to hear from you.
Les
Just wanted to clarify this last post. If you would like to contact us, post here and I will share with you my email address.
My wife and I have a few more years before we retire. We are both trained massage therapists and I have worked at numerous spas thoughout Southern California. We both enjoy reading, music, movies and socializing. I am learning to play acoustic guitar and brushing up again on playing keyboard. Jan and I love meeting new people and making friends. We are full time RVers and plan on living that way into retirement. We will probably divide our time between our property west of Custer, and Oregon, Nevada and Arizona. We love to travel and enjoying all that life has to offer.
I hope to hear from some of you wonderful people in the southwest part of South Dakota.
Les

Old 12-26-2007, 04:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Hi Les, you sound like the kind of people that we would love to meet. Unfortunately, we live East River, but once you get settled over there and if we're both still on this forum, we'll let you know when we're heading that way and we'll get together and chat. You sound like you're very sociable people and you won't have problems making friends in So. Dak. Also, I think you're settling in a very good area because you'll also get to meet tourists all during the summertime.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Hi Les, you sound like the kind of people that we would love to meet. Unfortunately, we live East River, but once you get settled over there and if we're both still on this forum, we'll let you know when we're heading that way and we'll get together and chat. You sound like you're very sociable people and you won't have problems making friends in So. Dak. Also, I think you're settling in a very good area because you'll also get to meet tourists all during the summertime.
Hi Jammie,
Thank you so much for responding. It was nice to hear from you. I am still getting use to the local phrases like "east river, west river" and am enjoying the journey.
I would love to hear what life is like there where you live. Where are you at, east river? We are now living in San Clemente, California and working here. We hope to retire in 3-5 years.
If you feel so inclined, you can write me at les.nuckles@sce.com . Would love to hear about your part of the country.
Have a great day and a wonderful new year.

Les

Old 12-27-2007, 10:01 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Hi Jammie,
Thank you so much for responding. It was nice to hear from you. I am still getting use to the local phrases like "east river, west river" and am enjoying the journey.
I would love to hear what life is like there where you live. Where are you at, east river? We are now living in San Clemente, California and working here. We hope to retire in 3-5 years.
If you feel so inclined, you can write me at les.nuckles@sce.com . Would love to hear about your part of the country.
Have a great day and a wonderful new year.

Les
I'd like to respond to that, seeings how I've lived in both East and West river.

East river, mostly flat, heavy into agriculture. My dad used to say that if you stand in the driveway, and push some dirt up with your foot, you've got the biggest hill in 3 counties.

East river is colder, windier, being flat there's nothing to break up the wind. Although when I say windier, it's not a constant thing. Colder by about 10 degrees below what West River is. During the summer, East river is hotter by about 10 degrees more then West River.

West river is the "bannana belt" of South Dakota. Warmer during the winter and cooler during the summer. When people say "West River", they are actually talking about the Black Hills. Because mose of West River is much the same as East River. From Wall to the River, it's mostly agricultural and has the same traights as the East River.

The Black Hills are the main stay of South Dakota tourism. Although there are lots of other places in the state, they draw the traveling crowd. In other words, you take the Falls in Sioux Falls. People stop there on there way to the Black Hills. But they stay for days or even weeks in the Black Hills. Badlands? That's a day trip from the Black Hills.

I'm very familiar with the Custer area and further west of custer. How far west did you find land? Hell's Canyon has all been redone now so it's a lot more passable if your out that far. But as little as 5 years ago, it was a real pain.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I'd like to respond to that, seeings how I've lived in both East and West river.

East river, mostly flat, heavy into agriculture. My dad used to say that if you stand in the driveway, and push some dirt up with your foot, you've got the biggest hill in 3 counties.

East river is colder, windier, being flat there's nothing to break up the wind. Although when I say windier, it's not a constant thing. Colder by about 10 degrees below what West River is. During the summer, East river is hotter by about 10 degrees more then West River.

West river is the "bannana belt" of South Dakota. Warmer during the winter and cooler during the summer. When people say "West River", they are actually talking about the Black Hills. Because mose of West River is much the same as East River. From Wall to the River, it's mostly agricultural and has the same traights as the East River.

The Black Hills are the main stay of South Dakota tourism. Although there are lots of other places in the state, they draw the traveling crowd. In other words, you take the Falls in Sioux Falls. People stop there on there way to the Black Hills. But they stay for days or even weeks in the Black Hills. Badlands? That's a day trip from the Black Hills.

I'm very familiar with the Custer area and further west of custer. How far west did you find land? Hell's Canyon has all been redone now so it's a lot more passable if your out that far. But as little as 5 years ago, it was a real pain.
Thanks, ElkHunter,
I appreciate all of the personalized info. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the area.
We found 5 acres that is about 22 miles west of Custer, and three miles south. It is in an area known as Custer Highlands #2. I have visited there virtually on GoogleEarth and the land looks to the southwest towards Elk mountain. It is about 4800' elevation. It is about 17 miles to Newcastle, Wyoming. Is that out far enough that you go through Hell's canyon? I am really looking forward to coming up there this summer. I will be coming up for a little over a week. My wife will fly into Rapid City after I am already there and will be there for about 3 days. She does not have as much vacation time as I do. So it should be fun.
Where do you live, ElkHunter? It sounds like you have been all over South Dakota.
Les

Old 12-27-2007, 12:48 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Thanks, ElkHunter,
I appreciate all of the personalized info. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the area.
We found 5 acres that is about 22 miles west of Custer, and three miles south. It is in an area known as Custer Highlands #2. I have visited there virtually on GoogleEarth and the land looks to the southwest towards Elk mountain. It is about 4800' elevation. It is about 17 miles to Newcastle, Wyoming. Is that out far enough that you go through Hell's canyon? I am really looking forward to coming up there this summer. I will be coming up for a little over a week. My wife will fly into Rapid City after I am already there and will be there for about 3 days. She does not have as much vacation time as I do. So it should be fun.
Where do you live, ElkHunter? It sounds like you have been all over South Dakota.
Les
I lived just 3 miles behind the faces for years. Rapid City, Custer, Hill City, Rochford, yeah pretty much all over the hills. But was born in East River. Now I live in Wyoming.

I looked where your land is, you almost became a Wyoming citizens with that purchase.

You'll find there's a little better shopping in New Castle. But it's really a flip of the coin with where you'll be. And yes, your gonna run through Hell's Canyon getting to Custer.

3 years ago, they had a bad fire in the area that your talking about. Burnt about 300,000 acres. But it was needed, the brush was getting thick and needed thinning so what better way then nature sheading skin.

It sounds like the Blaine ranch busted up into partials. They own everything out on 769 and around there.

Elk Mountain school is right there. But it's abandon or no longer used. Babcocks ranch is just East of you. It's closed and is now a Historical Sight.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I lived just 3 miles behind the faces for years. Rapid City, Custer, Hill City, Rochford, yeah pretty much all over the hills. But was born in East River. Now I live in Wyoming.

I looked where your land is, you almost became a Wyoming citizens with that purchase.

You'll find there's a little better shopping in New Castle. But it's really a flip of the coin with where you'll be. And yes, your gonna run through Hell's Canyon getting to Custer.

3 years ago, they had a bad fire in the area that your talking about. Burnt about 300,000 acres. But it was needed, the brush was getting thick and needed thinning so what better way then nature sheading skin.

It sounds like the Blaine ranch busted up into partials. They own everything out on 769 and around there.

Elk Mountain school is right there. But it's abandon or no longer used. Babcocks ranch is just East of you. It's closed and is now a Historical Sight.
Hi ElkHunter,
Yes, Elk Mountain school is north of us just a bit and I did read that it was no longer used. That is interesting about the fire. Those kinds of things happened and are part of nature. The are beneficial in the long run.
I think that Newcastle is about 17 miles to the west and Custer is about 22 miles to the east of us. I guess the shopping would be better in Newcastle in that it is a bigger town.
You mention the Blaine ranch. I will have to look that up. I have been trying to find out a little history about the property and maybe that will help. Thanks.
Where in Wyoming do you live? I lived in Green River in the southwest corner for almost 3 years back in the early '80s. I worked in the trona mines west of Green River for a while and then for Pacific Power and Light at Jim Bridger power plant east of Rock Springs. I was up there from April of '81 until December of '84.
I appreciate you communicating with me and helping me out with some good information. I hope to someday be able to meet you and thank you in person.
It is great being able to use the internet to meet people in all parts of the nation and the world. Isn't technology wonderful.
Thanks again.

Les

Old 12-27-2007, 07:07 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Congratulations on your land purchase in the Black Hills! It looks like you will live in a very beautiful, secluded area of the forest. I actually live in Rapid City, but I thought I'd suggest some restaurants/entertainment in your area:

-The Alpine Inn is a great restaurant in nearby Hill City. It's my favorite place to eat! Wonderful steaks, salads, and Napoleon cakes!!! Yum!
-Prairie Berry Winery near Hill City is a fun place to sample wine and buy products from local farmers and vineyards.
-Mistletoe Ranch is a year-round Christmas store that is popular amongst locals.
-Sheridan Lake is not too far from Custer and it is a great place to fish, waterski, or boat. Pactola Lake is nearby too. As is Angostora Lake.
-Hot Springs is close if you want to swim in some naturally heated pools.
-Deadwood is probably about an hour away from your place if you want to do some gambling and eat at a crab/prime rib buffet.
-Rapid City is probably about a 45 minute drive if you want to shop, see movies, eat at restaurants, see a musical, etc.

Wherever you live in the Black Hills, there is something to do. In the summer you can hike, mountain bike, rock climb, waterski, jetski, and fish. In the winter you can ski at the resorts, snowmobile, ice-skate, and ice-fish.

Have Fun and Good Luck!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Congratulations on your land purchase in the Black Hills! It looks like you will live in a very beautiful, secluded area of the forest. I actually live in Rapid City, but I thought I'd suggest some restaurants/entertainment in your area:

-The Alpine Inn is a great restaurant in nearby Hill City. It's my favorite place to eat! Wonderful steaks, salads, and Napoleon cakes!!! Yum!
-Prairie Berry Winery near Hill City is a fun place to sample wine and buy products from local farmers and vineyards.
-Mistletoe Ranch is a year-round Christmas store that is popular amongst locals.
-Sheridan Lake is not too far from Custer and it is a great place to fish, waterski, or boat. Pactola Lake is nearby too. As is Angostora Lake.
-Hot Springs is close if you want to swim in some naturally heated pools.
-Deadwood is probably about an hour away from your place if you want to do some gambling and eat at a crab/prime rib buffet.
-Rapid City is probably about a 45 minute drive if you want to shop, see movies, eat at restaurants, see a musical, etc.

Wherever you live in the Black Hills, there is something to do. In the summer you can hike, mountain bike, rock climb, waterski, jetski, and fish. In the winter you can ski at the resorts, snowmobile, ice-skate, and ice-fish.

Have Fun and Good Luck!
Well thank you so much for the tips. It sounds like there is a lot to see and do. We are really looking forward to spending some time there after retirement. I just wish we had more time right now.
I am making lists of things that we want to do and places to see around there. I am coming up for over a week this time. My wife will fly into Rapid City and join me for the last 3 days this time. We are so looking forward to it.
Thanks again for the tips.

Les
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota