Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 05:59 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,843,645 times

Advertisements

Those that are coming out for the Buffalo Round-up this weekend at Custer State Park will also want to skip over to Wind Cave National Park to listen to the ELK bugeling in the morning and evenings. Mating season is just beginning and the Bull Elk are beginning to stake out their herds. The best times to see and hear them is near sun rise or sun down. Usually the herds can be observed along highway 385, about 1/2 way thru the park or on the south end of Red Valley Rd. There are several hundred Elk in the park and they can show up just about anywhere.

uh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 01:46 PM

83 posts, read 139,527 times
The weather was so beautiful here in the high country of Colorado this fall that I just heard my first elk bugle yesterday morning, when I went to take the trash out. When I came home in the evening, my hubby had the slider open and said they were going crazy. Bow season was a bust this year because the warm weather kept them up at the higher elevations. I hate for summer to leave, but fall has its beautiful moments too.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:12 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,889,472 times
I have a ring tone on my smart phone, of an Elk bugling. It is too funny when I'm at the cafe in the morning, having coffee and it rings. This time of year it sets folks to scrambling for their rifle racks.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:17 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,592,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I have a ring tone on my smart phone, of an Elk bugling. It is too funny when I'm at the cafe in the morning, having coffee and it rings. This time of year it sets folks to scrambling for their rifle racks.
That is awesome. I had a ringtone of a duck quacking for the longest while. I was afraid the parrot would pick up that one.

One of the advantages of where I work are watching the elk on the hillside across from where I sit. The sometimes mosey down to the hayfield or lurk at the edge of trees on the hillside.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:07 AM

83 posts, read 139,527 times
OK, Elk Hunter, where did you find the ring tone? That would be a fun ring tone to have.

SD, my son drives a road to work that takes him past some of the most beautiful herds around here. My husbands last day was Friday at the same place and he said he shut the radio off and took in the beauty for one last drive home. There certainly are some beautiful animals and country to enjoy if you take the time to do it.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:53 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,843,645 times
Tell me about it. I live just a few miles south of Wind Cave national park and Custer State park is jus north of there. My better half and I are out there about 1/2 of the evenings, checking out the Elk, Buffalo, Antelope, Deer, and anything else that comes over the horizon. I love it.

uh

Old 10-12-2014, 01:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,889,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycodmom View Post
OK, Elk Hunter, where did you find the ring tone? That would be a fun ring tone to have.

SD, my son drives a road to work that takes him past some of the most beautiful herds around here. My husbands last day was Friday at the same place and he said he shut the radio off and took in the beauty for one last drive home. There certainly are some beautiful animals and country to enjoy if you take the time to do it.
Don't remember where I got it, was just looking at ring tones with a google search. I got another ring tone from Tue same site, that is a rifle shot, cycle the bolt and the casing hitting the ground. The elk bugling sure turns heads, but I wish I could set it up to play the rifle shot immediately after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota