Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times

Advertisements

It's funny that you mention it cause I feel much better physically out in the Hills then I do over here. It's strange cause it can even be cool and rainy there and I just feel better. I remember a gal from Wyo. who used to take mini vacations in Rapid during the winter just to get some pain relief. I have absolutely no idea what could contribute to this, but often times the pain index in Rapid is a 1 or a 2 and it's an 8 over here. You wouldn't think a half days ride apart could make such a difference. The autumn change is what absolutely torments me.

I don't really know a lot about No. Dak. so I can't really compare who has more of the things you're asking about. I believe their population is in the area of 600,000 and that's what we used to have. We've now boomed to about 750,000 so our population is still quite sparse.

For a radio station, I prefer Kool 98 which is 98.3 out of Mitchell. They have things like, "The sixties at six" and most of their music is from the 60s and 70s era. Many people like the country stations, but I don't.

I don't believe we have many Norwegians in our state unless they're up in the way northern towns. We have a lot of Russians/Germans and other European ancestories here. Personally, I'm a bit of Russian, a bit of Canadian, and a bit of German. Yea, I know~a Heinz 57.

As far as the volunteering and clubs you mentioned, my guess is that almost any town that has a population over about 10,000 would have many of those things you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
Default LOL Aren't we all?

Think we are all pretty much 'mutts' as far as that goes. I'm Irish,(shanty and lace-curtain ) with a bit of Scottish, and hubby is Irish/Cherokee/Blackfoot. I only know one person who isn't; his parents came over from Southern Italy!

Norweigian, Russian, and German cultures fascinate me. I knew the latter in OH when I lived there, and again a bit in TX.

I really think overall health has a lot to do with humidity (and sometimes elevation adds to that) and dew points, much less than mean temperatures. Breathing in damp cold or hot air is far different from breathing in dry cold or hot air, for example. I eat less and more healthily in cold and dry air than in warm and humid, am more enthusiastic about my outside activities, and tire less when the humidity is not 'pressing me down'.

Glad to know it isn't all country music; hubby and I are more inclined to 60's, 70's, and 80's (he's Beatles, Black Sabbath, and Pink Floyd, I'm Journey, Tina Turner, and Donna Summer)! Although we love classical and (grin) Rodgers and Hammerstein, too! But in ID all we could get was country, talk, or religious stations. Doesn't matter, we have CDs - but sometimes the type of music prevalent in an area can indicate the general mindset of residents; i.e., whether they like change, whether they embrace peace and quiet, are independent-minded, or are frustrated, set in their ways, demanding, or reclusive.

Well, I'm sorta looking for towns much smaller than 10,000 - but I'm sure there's other groups in those towns that aren't formalized like Lions or Rotary. (I have a tshirt that says "Stop Me Before I Volunteer Again!" LOL)

What I'm really interested in is county fairs and what they have and cater to -whether it's local crafts, or local 4H and emphasis on produce. OH had a county fair every weekend, it seemed, and they mostly accented local produce but sometimes crafts and music (Oktoberfest was awesome, did everything from craft displays to polka lessons, and lasted a week!) and other things like Fourth of July celebrations, Christmas celebrations, rodeos (haven't been to the latter in years!) etc. I like to get involved in the local practices and get-togethers to meet people and to learn about their various local cultures. Every place is different and fascinating to discover. Guess that's a different thread!

Thanks for your input!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:29 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I don't believe we have many Norwegians in our state unless they're up in the way northern towns.
Jammie - you might want to take a road trip up to NE South Dakota some time. Lots of those little towns are almost exclusively Norwegian. Still quite a few "purebreds" if you can believe it in this day and age! Not on purpose, that's just who's around!

According to this very website, Norwegians are the second highest behind Germans.

South Dakota - Ethnic groups

Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
I think ND is prediominantly Norweigan, SD is more German (it used to be our language!), and NE is mostly Czech. I was born in Nebraska and I'm Czech and French. My mom says I'm a FRECK!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:17 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Arlington, Brookings, a lot of Norwegians and Swedes. Grew up with them. Small community but they are there. My grandparents were Check and Bohiamiens. Tripp, Armore area. Grandmother used to visit across the fence and I never understood a word she said. hahaha

Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
:I don't believe we have many Norwegians in our state unless they're up in the way northern towns. We have a lot of Russians/Germans and other European ancestories here.
Jammie, better re-read Rolvaag's Giants in the Earth or stop over at the Center for Western Studies at Augustana College...SoDak is crawling with Norwegian ancestry. Now, that said, there are plenty of other northern European ancestries around as well...but Scandinavians and Germans have to be #1 and #2!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:21 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,290 times
South Dakota and North Dakota have their own unique features. Both places have great people and their beauty (easy to find and hidden gems). I think that South Dakota has a more diverse and progressive economic base than North Dakota. I understand that North Dakota is going through an oil boom, but South Dakota is working on some big projects on the drawing board(Homestake being a science lab, oil refinery, and Sanford medical facility) that can strengthen the state's economic base and hopefully do a better job of keeping and attracting families, youth, and educated workers instead of losing them to places such as Colorado, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Omaha, and points beyond.

It is interesting to see the ethnic groups in South Dakota. Down in my neck of the woods (or lack of woods), Germans settled in the Lennox-Tea area, but there were some Dutch to the east by Canton along with Norwegian and Swedish to the south. Garretson-Baltic area was settled by Norwegians. To the west, Freeman-Marion area was settled by Germans and by Mitchell with Swedes. Viborg is Danish and has a Danish Days festival in the summer, while Tabor/Tyndall area has a fair amount of Czechs and has a Czech festival in the summer. My great grandparents are from the Eureka and Freeman areas, where there are a lot of German-Russians who settled in the area. I would be glad to explain more.

I am a mutt like many other people: mostly German-Russian with Dutch, (Regular) German, and Danish thrown in. Interesting enough, some of the German in my ancestry migrated from Holland to eastern Germany (that is where the Dutch comes in).

Old 01-07-2008, 09:40 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Interesting to learn that many of us are Heinzes.

Sugar and Windtimber, I totally stand corrected.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I think ND is prediominantly Norweigan, SD is more German (it used to be our language!), and NE is mostly Czech. I was born in Nebraska and I'm Czech and French. My mom says I'm a FRECK!

Actually, its close to this: In North Dakota Germans make up about 44% of the total population, and Norwegians, about 30%. I'm from Rugby where its a mix of both, most Germans are Germans from Russia, from near Odessa.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
Actually, its close to this: In North Dakota Germans make up about 44% of the total population, and Norwegians, about 30%. I'm from Rugby where its a mix of both, most Germans are Germans from Russia, from near Odessa.
The German-Russian relatives of mine from the Eureka, SD area (some from Wishek, ND) came from near the Odessa area also. Most were Lutherans. Interesting. My dad's side who came from Freeman area of the similar background, but were Mennonites. From my understanding, my dad's side came from the eastern part of Germany before Russia and mom's side was from the southern part of Germany. Is kuchen and other German specialties popular up in the Rugby, ND area? Freeman and Eureka each have a schmeckfest (Festival with lots of German food, yummm).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota