Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 14,499 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Iv'e been reading a lot of other peoples questions about moving to and living in South Dakota, Pierre Specifically and have read quite some helpful information.

I'm particularly only wanting locals opinions as they know their city better than "visitors".

Firstly, I'm a Nineteen year old female, living in New Zealand (My home), wanting to move in to the country in America. I'm only interested in the Western, Cowboy, Rodeo type cities.

I prefer living in less populated areas, a homely feel where everyone knows everyone (just like here).

I'm eager to become a Veterinarian/Vet Tech. Being the highest you could possibly go.

I could get along with any aged people. I really like the Western style of living. I don't mind being out in the WhopWhops.. I find it peaceful and Fun! I would be moving by myself.

My Questions:

- How likely is it to become a veterinarian in Pierre, or study there and become one afterwards?
- Are there any vet schools there, University, or tertiary, private vet school or something there?
- See if you could me a basic weekly wage income and outgoings estimate of how things are there? (Like rent, food (I don't eat much, small person :P), electricity, internet, phone bills, and whats left over)
- In my spare time, is there any ranches or horse places i could just hang out at with horses, grooming them or whatever?
- What do people do in their spare time in summer and winter?
- How friendly are people?
- And finally, I'll be moving when I'm like 23 maybe, so where can I meet friends, people my age?

Thaaaaank you!! Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:37 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times
Pierre is not the town for you. I lived there for 11 years. All through my 20s. If you like politics, fishing and hunting it is a spiffy place to live. There is no university there, the collage offers nothing as far as animals sciences or anything suitable for vet tech stuff. The people your age are off to college and move away.

If you are wanting to become a veterinarian Brookings would be the place to live. A university that offers the premed courses. University of Iowa offers a veterinary medicine program. And it's a good program.

There are about 3 good vet clinics. One is excellent for small animals. The others are all scopes, large animal and small animal. There is a large sale barn that runs the livestock sales each Friday. In the spring there are horse races in Fort Pierre.

Sheridan wyoming would be a good town with a western feel, rodeos and plenty of ranching and horses.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:21 PM

I like fishing and i'd go hunting. I don't want to live in a huge populated place. What about Montana? (I know it is in a different state).

Old 01-03-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLover21 View Post
I like fishing and i'd go hunting. I don't want to live in a huge populated place. What about Montana? (I know it is in a different state).
Yes, that would be better than pierre. That's why I suggested Sheridan Wyoming.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
SD recommended Sheridan and being from there, I would have to agree. Sheridan is 'THE' place to be for horses. We have the largest Polo setup in the states. Sheridan is only 18,500 people and if that is too big, there are small towns of less than 1000 people, just 15-20 miles away. There are several vet clinics in the area. Sheridan currently has a 2 year college with classes available for Vet Tech, but next year, the college is switching over to a 4 year college.

Sheridan is located at the foot of the Big Horn Mountains, so hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, skiing, etc is just a few minutes out of town.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:54 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,917,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Pierre is not the town for you. I lived there for 11 years. All through my 20s. If you like politics, fishing and hunting it is a spiffy place to live. There is no university there, the collage offers nothing as far as animals sciences or anything suitable for vet tech stuff. The people your age are off to college and move away.

If you are wanting to become a veterinarian Brookings would be the place to live. A university that offers the premed courses. University of Iowa offers a veterinary medicine program. And it's a good program.

There are about 3 good vet clinics. One is excellent for small animals. The others are all scopes, large animal and small animal. There is a large sale barn that runs the livestock sales each Friday. In the spring there are horse races in Fort Pierre.

Sheridan wyoming would be a good town with a western feel, rodeos and plenty of ranching and horses.
Let me correct the highlighted school. The veterinary school in Iowa is at Iowa State in Ames, not U. of Iowa.

If I was from SD with the in-state tuition, I'd do Pre-Vet at SDSU. Being from outstate (or another country in this case) I think going straight to the school where the Veterinary school exists (Iowa State) would be what I'd recommend.

As previously mentioned, the only things in Pierre are politics, hunting, and fishing. All 3 would get awfully old to me after a short while. Nothing there to help you establish a veterinary career.

Last edited by jmgg; 01-03-2015 at 11:17 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Let me correct the highlighted school. The veterinary school in Iowa is at Iowa State in Ames, not U. of Iowa.
My bad, I knew it was in Ames.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:19 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,917,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
My bad, I knew it was in Ames.
I had a hunch.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I had a hunch.
I'll own it when I'm wrong.

Having spent the equivalent of a month in pierre in the past year, I can handle a week at a time. I run into people I knew from living and working there. I am always glad to point my ride west. A successful trip is avoid the ex or her family. I've been successful five years running. I know my luck will run out one of these trips.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:52 PM

Thanks guys! so what about the rent, wages and income side of it.. ? Is it a cheap place to live? Do people find it hard to survive? And what are the age groups there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota