Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:14 PM

23 posts, read 92,885 times

Advertisements

I would like to say thanks to Jammie, Mjgustafson, DannyBanany, and Chris19 for answering my previous post.

Mjgustafson, got the travel guide the other day. It's very helpful, TY for the link.

Well, are plans are being made and the last week of May is when we will be heading your way. But there are still some things that I hope you all can help me with.

The hotel we are thinking of staying at is Quality Inn, located on LaCrosse. I've notied that it was located on the north side of town and I read some post about the north side not being so great. Should we consider some where eles to stay.

We intend to stay for a week and hope to see and do as much as time will allow. Here are the stops we want to make.

Journey Museum
MT Rushmore/ Presidential Slide, looks like fun
Crazey Horse Memorial
Bear country
Fort Hayes
Cosmos
Four Mile Old West Town
1880 Train
1880 Town
Prairie Homestead
Badlands
Custer State Park
Deadwood

I know that there will be alot of traveling involved, but do you think we can still fit it all in, in a weeks time without being rushed? I know that/ at least I think that the Bandlands, 1880 Town and Praire Homestead can be done in one visit. Cosmos,1880 Train and Bear Country on another. How would you plan out this trip? I want to visit Crazy Horse Memorial in the evening so we can see the lazer show. Saw the lazer show a few times at Stone Mt Georgia some years back and it was nice. After the show they let off fireworks. Do they also do that at Crazy Horse?

If you know of any other attraction that I might be missing, I would love to hear about it. Reptile Garden I know about not going near the place.

TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 10:07 PM

7 posts, read 27,419 times
Sounds like you have a great itinerary.

The Quality Inn on Lacrosse should be just fine. North Rapid is a less expensive place to live in RC, but you aren't real close to the housing at that hotel. There is a shopping mall close by, and several restaurants including a Fridays, Bostons, Outback, Mongolian Grill, Golden Corrall, Millstone and a Denny's as well as others.

Sounds like you are looking at western history, so you may want to stop at the High Plains Heritage Center, a western museum in Spearfish. They have quite a few artifacts from the old west and is well worth a visit.

Enjoy your vacation

Mark

Old 01-19-2008, 10:07 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-charm View Post
I would like to say thanks to Jammie, Mjgustafson, DannyBanany, and Chris19 for answering my previous post.

Mjgustafson, got the travel guide the other day. It's very helpful, TY for the link.

Well, are plans are being made and the last week of May is when we will be heading your way. But there are still some things that I hope you all can help me with.

The hotel we are thinking of staying at is Quality Inn, located on LaCrosse. I've notied that it was located on the north side of town and I read some post about the north side not being so great. Should we consider some where eles to stay.

We intend to stay for a week and hope to see and do as much as time will allow. Here are the stops we want to make.

Journey Museum
MT Rushmore/ Presidential Slide, looks like fun
Crazey Horse Memorial
Bear country
Fort Hayes
Cosmos
Four Mile Old West Town
1880 Train
1880 Town
Prairie Homestead
Badlands
Custer State Park
Deadwood

I know that there will be alot of traveling involved, but do you think we can still fit it all in, in a weeks time without being rushed? I know that/ at least I think that the Bandlands, 1880 Town and Praire Homestead can be done in one visit. Cosmos,1880 Train and Bear Country on another. How would you plan out this trip? I want to visit Crazy Horse Memorial in the evening so we can see the lazer show. Saw the lazer show a few times at Stone Mt Georgia some years back and it was nice. After the show they let off fireworks. Do they also do that at Crazy Horse?

If you know of any other attraction that I might be missing, I would love to hear about it. Reptile Garden I know about not going near the place.

TY
I would not worry about reconsidering a hotel. The Quality Inn on La Crosse Street is right off of the Interstate and most crime is found deeper into the city. Your itinerary seems like it would work out very well and no matter what you do in the Black Hills, there is fun around every corner. When is it again that you plan on coming out?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:08 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Hi Silver, that is so great that you'll be here in a few months. You'll have a great time.

Since I really don't know the distances in the Hills, I'll pass to someone who's familiar with them. Bet Danny knows.

Are you going to take a ride on the 1880 train? I believe it runs from Custer to Hill City. It goes through such beautiful scenery.

Does Crazy Horse have a laser show? I was thinking you may mean Rushmore, but maybe Crazy Horse has one now, too.

I do know that when you're at Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and the Cosmos and Custer State Park aren't too far away. Oh, and check out the little town at the bottom of the mountain, Keystone. It is SO cute. The Badlands may take up a fair part of one day because you'll have to drive east quite a ways in order to go through them, and then back to Rapid again. Also, when you do that, you may be fairly close to Wall Drug. If you're not too far off, you may want to stop and browse through there.

So, I'd reserve one total day for the Badlands. I believe you could probably see Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the Cosmos, and Custer State Park if you made one of the days a longer day. And that's about as far as I can help.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:10 PM

Wow, talk about us all posting at about the same time. No one had posted yet while I was writing mine.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:21 AM

23 posts, read 92,885 times
I'm glad you all say that the hotel is a good choice. It appeared to be clean and within our price range as well as being near shopping and restaurants which will be convenient.

KazinSD- I am a big history buff so TY for informing me about the High Pains Heritage Center. I did not see it in the travel guide. Are there any other places that you think I might enjoy besides the ones I had already mentioned? Like I said, I want to see and do as much as time will allow.

Jammie- We are planning on riding the 1880 train. Do you know if you have to make reservations in advance in oder to ride?
As for the Crazy Horse memorial, according to the web site, they do have a lazer show. During my search over the web, I did not see that Mt Rushmore had a lazer show as well. Ty for letting me Know that. I enjoy them very much.
Here is a link to the Stone Mt lazer show. Of cource its better in person.

YouTube - Stone Mtn. Laser Show 1990 - Lee Greenwood&Fireworks

Also, when we go to the Badlands, will there be enough time to get in the 1880 town as well as the Prairie Homestead all in the same day? I believe they are in the same vicinity.

I know that it's early, but do any of you know if there will be any events taking place around May 25-31, like powwows, rodeo, ect....

Old 01-20-2008, 07:27 AM

Thank you for the info. I didn't realize that Crazy Horse had that now, too. That is so cool.

The last time we rode the 1880 train, you didn't need reservations in advance. I'm also not sure if you want to take in the Badlands and ride the train the same day. I'm thinking that those two areas could be about 100 miles apart and it does take a while to drive through the Badlands. You can check out the mileages on Mapquest. I'm thinking the turn-off for the Badlands would be in the Interior/Wall area and the 1880 train is in the Custer/Hill City area. But I'll let someone who pays closer attention to mileage veryify that.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:00 AM

45 posts, read 198,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-charm View Post
Jammie- We are planning on riding the 1880 train. Do you know if you have to make reservations in advance in oder to ride?
The 1880 Train runs for Keystone to Hill City. While reservations are not required they are not a bad idea. The web site is 1880train.com .

Adam

Old 01-20-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoods2 View Post
The 1880 Train runs for Keystone to Hill City. While reservations are not required they are not a bad idea. The web site is 1880train.com .

Adam
Adam, thank you for correcting me. Not sure where I got the "Custer" part from.

Silver, Keystone is the little town at the bottom of the hill from Mt. Rushmore.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:01 PM

205 posts, read 729,362 times
Mount Rushmore has a night lighting ceremony, but I don't think they have a laser light show.

The 1880 Town is at Murdo and it may be possible to include it with a trip to the Badlands, depending on how much time you want to spend at each place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota