U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,029,322 times

Advertisements

I know that some people are loyal to a certain brand of gas such as BP, Mobil, or Cenex and others like convenience stores such as Casey's, Fresh Start, or the local independent gas station. What is your favorite brand of gas and/or favorite convenience store?

My favorite brands of gas are BP, Sunoco (eastern US), and Shell for national brands and Cenex for regional brand. The convenience store chain I like is Kum & Go, which there are about a dozen in the Sioux Falls area (some are co-branded as Cenex). I like their fountain pop at a couple of the convenience stores. I also like QuikTrip when I visit my brother in Des Moines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 10:45 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,053,149 times
Another fun thread Chris!

I like Safeway Gasoline if I qualify for the discount, otherwise I stick to Exxon/Mobil. Common Cents Convenience Stores are great too. Judy knows me by name at the one on Fairmont.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 PM

I like the CommonCents Exxon stations in Rapid City. I wish the Black Hills have Shell stations. I have very good luck with their gas and generally stick to that brand or BP when filling up the blue beast (just kidding) or the the blue mid-sized sedan. I get rebates on their fuels by using their branded cards and BP and Shell are national brands and are strong in the Sioux Falls area.

There are a few Casey's stations in the area. The conveinence stores and pizzas are decent. I will never buy gas there and had bad experiences in the past.

When you are in Sioux Falls, the newer Kum & Go stations along with the newer Gas Stops (Shell) and Get N Go (BP) have fountain pop where you add flavor to them such as lemon, lime, vanilla, cherry, and a few others. I like Kum & Go, since they have both Pepsi and Coke brands for fountain pop. It is about as fun as getting a limeade at Sonic. I like the cherry Dr. Pepper, lime Mt. Dew, or lime Dr. Pepper.

Last edited by Chris19; 01-28-2008 at 11:06 PM..

Old 01-29-2008, 01:50 PM

59 posts, read 173,095 times
I vote for Klaudt's Service Station in Menno, SD. They are selling Sinclair gas right now.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:43 PM

There actually are Shell stations in Rapid City. The truckstop on Deadwood Avenue in northwest Rapid City is Shell. I'm not sure on other ones; I guess I haven't really paid attention. There are a couple in Spearfish and Sundance too.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
There actually are Shell stations in Rapid City. The truckstop on Deadwood Avenue in northwest Rapid City is Shell. I'm not sure on other ones; I guess I haven't really paid attention. There are a couple in Spearfish and Sundance too.
Did the stations switch to Shell recently? I looked on the station locator on the Shell website and it shows two stations in Hot Springs as the closest stations. Sometimes it takes a little while before the companies update their station locators. I was curious.

When I went to central SD, I see a few BPs switching to other brands. Some switched to Cenex. Are the BPs switching over to different brands or are they BPs in the Black Hills?

What is your thought on Fresh Start stations in the Black Hills?

On a side note, I like Sunocos, Mobil, and Marathon (Illinois/Indiana and further east) and Chevron (out west and down south) if there are no BPs or Shell around. I have been boycotting ConocoPhillips.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Did the stations switch to Shell recently? I looked on the station locator on the Shell website and it shows two stations in Hot Springs as the closest stations. Sometimes it takes a little while before the companies update their station locators. I was curious.

When I went to central SD, I see a few BPs switching to other brands. Some switched to Cenex. Are the BPs switching over to different brands or are they BPs in the Black Hills?

What is your thought on Fresh Start stations in the Black Hills?

On a side note, I like Sunocos, Mobil, and Marathon (Illinois/Indiana and further east) and Chevron (out west and down south) if there are no BPs or Shell around. I have been boycotting ConocoPhillips.
I know that there is a Shell on Deadwood Avenue for sure, but maybe that is the only one in Rapid City. I stop at one in Hot Springs on my way to Denver and I stop at the Fresh Start in Sturgis and Lusk, WY. I think they're nice. They aren't as "high tech" as Exxon or Shell but they sell mugs and shirts. I actually buy the shirts and wear them around the house or to bed. I'll even wear them out as a joke!

BP is still BP. That's the majority gas station over here.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:20 PM

With the exception for southeastern SD, all the other South Dakota BPs will end up having to switch over to different brands by next summer. BP decided not to franchise in those areas probably due to it not being desirable to the company. If you see a number of BP stations swithing to a different brand in the next year or so, that may be why.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:24 PM

Danny,

Are there still BPs out in Rapid? I see that a few over in that direction switched brands looking at the a couple of branded station sites.

I notice that Kum N Go is building stores in SE South Dakota like crazy. In the past year or so, it has built three stores in Sioux Falls and bought a Citgo station. Kum N Go has plans to build more. I find their stores to be nice and like their fountain pop, since it has Pepsi products. Also, it recently opened a new store in Elk Point by the interstate. By the looks of it, they are building a store by Sloan, IA (twenty or so miles south of Sioux City).

Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 PM

Most BP stations have switched back to Conoco Philips. I'm not sure why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota