Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:53 PM

551 posts, read 1,584,787 times

Advertisements

Hubby went to the "big school" as his country school had two rooms. Also, his grandmother taught at the same school. I don't think she was teaching there when he attended. I'll have to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 03:19 PM

163 posts, read 213,411 times
People seem to ask here if they would move here if their children can still attend a country school.

Check out the SDk12 website and the school districts like Meade that still have country schools generally have a website for their school.

I'm not aware of any in "east river" South Dakota except "Colony" schools. But for the record, the colony schools *are public schools* and anyone wanting to send their children to a one or two room colony school has the right to send their children there as they schools are funded at tax payer's expense.

I've spent over 25 years teaching in SD, all of those years in one and two room schools.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:14 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,372,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
People seem to ask here if they would move here if their children can still attend a country school.

Check out the SDk12 website and the school districts like Meade that still have country schools generally have a website for their school.

I'm not aware of any in "east river" South Dakota except "Colony" schools. But for the record, the colony schools *are public schools* and anyone wanting to send their children to a one or two room colony school has the right to send their children there as they schools are funded at tax payer's expense.

I've spent over 25 years teaching in SD, all of those years in one and two room schools.
Just out of curiosity, how do you like teaching in those Country Schools?

In the early 60's I went to a 1 room,6 class, 1 teacher country school.with 1 outhouse .
I remember on the wall behind the teacher was a paddle. Engraved on the paddle it said:
"The Board of Education, To The Seat of Understanding"

For some reason, that's one thing I never forgot.

The place still stands today.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:32 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,848,607 times
I grew up around Dell Rapids, but missed the country school experience (thank god since I was at least 2 miles from the one I would have had to attend). However, there was still one operating east of Dell Rapids up until 1967. Our current Lt. Governor Dennis Daugaard attended this school up till middle school. Now THAT makes you a true country boy.

Many of these old country school buildings are still standing, usually having been converted into someone's house.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:19 PM

12 posts, read 60,716 times
I attended Doty school (west? of Rapid City) in the mid 1960s. Complete with HIS and HERS outhouses. I remember some kid brought a hand gernade to school and we would roll it down the slide on the playground. Ahhhhhhhhh, those were the days......

Old 12-04-2009, 06:44 PM

163 posts, read 213,411 times
Don't know if going to country school makes someone a "country boy" than standing around in a garage makes one a car.
But I do know that everyone who ever went to country school has nothing but interesting & positive comments about the experience.
I am thankful I had the opportunity to teach in a country school. Every day has been an adventure.

So many of them are gone now. Some of the buildings have been made into houses, but the majority of them have been made into grain bins, or farm shop buildings. I pass three of them every day on the way to work. Two of them are graineries and one of them is a shop/garage.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 PM

In SoCal, the country school in our community was bought by the Grange and was use to hold our Grange meetings in........that is ....until the city annexed on.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,923,618 times
Plowman,

You seem very knowledgable about the schools in So Dak. Here's a bit of trivia for you. I was in a school called "Lone Star" many many times. Do you know where it's at? Anybody?

I'll wait a day and then reviel the location and how I come about being there.

I will give this hint. Hand County.

One room. If you didn't count the cloak room. Outhouse was North of the school house. Stable was to the North East. Both out buildings were less then 100 ft.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Plowman,

You seem very knowledgable about the schools in So Dak. Here's a bit of trivia for you. I was in a school called "Lone Star" many many times. Do you know where it's at? Anybody?

I'll wait a day and then reviel the location and how I come about being there.

I will give this hint. Hand County.

One room. If you didn't count the cloak room. Outhouse was North of the school house. Stable was to the North East. Both out buildings were less then 100 ft.
Miller, South Dakota.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,923,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Miller, South Dakota.
5 miles South, 1 mile East. It was located on our farm when I grew up. I went in that school and found a book that had my dad's name in it. Dated 1920.

Good job. How'd you come up with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota