Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 05:20 PM

8 posts, read 29,597 times

Advertisements

A little while ago I went to eat at what was my all time favorite place to eat, Botticelli's Ristorante Italiano.
I have been a HUGE fan of them ever since they opened, I don't know how many people I've recommended to eat there.
I don't get there so often, but every time I do, I've absolutely Loved it, except for last fall.
I went to get my favorite goat cheese pizza there. While I was waiting I started eating the bread that the serve with olive oil and vinegar before my pizza got there. I noticed that the bread tasted like there was something wrong with it, like it was going bad or something. But, then I got my pizza which was alot smaller than what I remember, which wouldn't have been so bad, but it didn't taste very good, and then I got the check and the smaller tastless pizza was more expensive than what it used to be.

I decided to mark that experience up as a fluke until I went there a little over a week ago.
The atmosphere is still good although there was an air about the place implying that instead of it being an honor for them to have us there, it was an honor for us to be there.
The bread that was served with the olive oil and vinegar again tasted like it was going bad, so I thought, well maybe that's the new italian thing, maybe I have to culture a taste for rotten bread.
I was really looking forward to my dish, which was something along the line of Chicken Con Pollo.
But then I got it. Again the plate wasn't filled up very well, which would have been so bad, but oh, you should have tasted it. The noodles tasted like they'd been boiled, lightly fried in flavorless oil and thrown on my plate. The chicken was not only flavorless, but went to the other side in that it tasted bad. The Sun-dried tomatos tasted burnt and the artichokes were barely there. I was so desparate for flavor that I poured some of the the olive oil and vinegar over the dish to at least make it edible, with not much luck.
The waitress asked how it was, and I gave her a dissapointed look/ scowl and said I guessed it was ok, and then she said, ok, and walked away. I used to wait tables when I was a teen and if I would've gotten that response, I'd have known something was up, and that it needed to be fixed.
There was a comments card with the check and I wrote what the meal was like and still haven't heard from them in a polite but honest way, included my name and address in the name and address fields, but still haven't heard from them.

Does anyone know what's up with them? I mean I could've gotten a $2 frozen dinner that would've been alot better, it really bothers me because I really liked the place, but now it's like it's some snob place that serves the grossest food that I've ever tasted in Rapid City (and a lot of other places) , charges you alot for it, and expects for you to love them for it. I felt really taken advantage of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 06:04 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Hmm... I just ate there last week. I thought the server was very nice and she explained the specials very well. I went there for dinner, perhaps the lunchtime service is not as great. Did you go there at lunch?

I've always thought their portions were not the most generous, but I've never had any problem with the taste and texture of the food. It is pretty expensive though. Last week I was on a date and we each got the Tomato Bisque, Greek Salad, she got a Sausage Pizza and I got the Tortellini. It was $52!!!

Botticelli's isn't nearly as expensive as The Enigma. And they have master chefs so it's WAY snootier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
View detailed profiles of: