U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2006, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 8,321 times
Default free land to relocate

Is anyone aware of towns/cities offering free land to relocate in South Dakota?

We visited this summer doing a little history hunting on my family. The Carroll family (Carroll Township) lived in the Charles Mix/Boone County areas and my great grandfather is buried in Rock Hill Cemetary. Visited (and were surprised at out little was left) of Herrick and Bonesteel. We really liked the whole southern area of South Dakota- sounds crazy, but we want to leave Southern California.

I am a principal of an elementary school that pays a lot, but my three kids are going to suffer growing up in this place. They need space.

thanks Shawn

Old 11-21-2006, 10:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,158,333 times
Hi Shawn, how ironic is this? My family also lived in the Charles Mix Co. area. Actually, it was more at the corner of Charles Mix, Douglas, and Hutchinson. AND your last name is "Mitchell" and that's the town I live in.

I remember learning about squatter's rights in school, but that hasn't actually been in effect for many years. All the land here is owned by someone whether it be for farming, hunting, etc.

I do understand your wanting to relocate for the sake of your children. It would definitely be culture shock though. We have a very different climate from yours and our wages are the lowest in the nation and that includes teacher's wages. But if your main concern is about quality of life for your family, come on up. You're welcome here.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:26 PM

90 posts, read 185,801 times
Curious. I read on one of the Idaho threads that they think *their* educators are the lowest-paid in the nation. I wonder if Mississippi's, Arkansas' or W. Virginia's teachers would argue that "distinction"???

- KK

Old 02-24-2007, 01:45 PM

Wow, I didn't know that. Our newspapers often come out with the report that our teacher's are the lowest paid in the nation again. Now you've got me wondering if other states are told the same thing in order to bring the wage up to "the Jones's wages". One of the things that has always bothered me when they over emphasize those stories and stats is the fact that ALL wage earners in our state are paid below average wages. It's unfair to just keep focusing on one group.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:41 AM

189 posts, read 354,017 times
interesting. i live in spearfish,sd ,was in rapid city for a while and camped in mitchell. i read awhile back that a certain rez county in sd was poorest co. in usa. then read elsewhere that stat was based on unemployment stats. it is my understanding that indians have some income from trust funds,although i am aware there is a long standing lawsuit regarding trust fund money. i guess stats like anything else including studies of all kinds can be designed to suit need. just read some of the tourist brochures!!!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 09:09 AM

Pejuta, I believe you're right, but don't know how it works. It's something like if you're one-eighth Indian, you receive a government check. They do offer a lot of things like heating assistance, commodities, etc. and have also provided houses on a lot of the reservations. You probably read one of my posts because I understand that Pine Ridge is the poorest county in the nation. It's just such a complex situation~sometimes I feel the Indians were ripped off~sometimes I feel they need to make more of an effort to improve themselves and their situations. Maybe they've just lost all hope.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:11 AM

189 posts, read 354,017 times
no easy questions...no easy answers...no easy solutions...

Old 03-13-2007, 05:07 PM

6 posts, read 19,503 times
Default small towns??

plankinton and i believe spencer were offering land recently, not sure about currently but i think so...both of these are 15 0r 20 min. from mitchell...plank west and spencer east...sioux falls is 75 miles east of mitchell...

Old 04-02-2007, 03:10 PM

185 posts, read 507,848 times
Jammie- Do you know if the one-eighth Indian rule also applies to Candian Blackfoot?

Old 04-02-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEWY12 View Post
Jammie- Do you know if the one-eighth Indian rule also applies to Candian Blackfoot?
Chewy, sorry, but I don't know. The only ones that I know are the Sioux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota