U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 25,223,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgustafson View Post
Thanks, Danny! I have Midcontinent, and I found the program you are referring to... Friday at 4 pm on Travel (Channel 34 for Midcontinent)! Glad I have DVR...can't wait to watch this!
OH fantastic!!! Thank you for looking it up. I'd like to see it, too and was hoping it'd be on here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 AM

17,910 posts, read 22,617,881 times
Years ago I waded through an old history book that was written about gold mining in the Black Hills. So I can't remember a lot of the details. But one part of it mentioned that the minors had a problem when they tunneled because they would have floors cave out from under them. So for safety reasons, they preffered panning, or digging down instead of horizontal.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:14 PM

143 posts, read 386,392 times
Yeah, I was watching this program on Alaska - where I'll soon be living - and it was explaining that you look for a dried up creek bed first to pan for gold. Then you try to imagine which areas (such as a large rock or bend) would have caught the pieces of gold as it traveled down. After digging into it, you take it back to a shallow creek and go through your bucket of dirt to find gold flakes.

Unfortunately there are three other types of mineral that can look a lot like gold.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:16 AM

143 posts, read 386,392 times
So I made the drive up to Alaska recently and stopped by Wind Cave to relive some old memories.

Below is a picture I thought I'd share with you all. It's about 2-3 miles in off of the Centennial trail in Wind Cave. This is a bridge, I and my SCA trail crew helped build (using only hand tools) eight years ago this same month.

The bridge is no longer in use - as the stream doesn't flow beneath it anymore and the trail was moved, but it still stands and is quite sturdy. Notice that the tree is still standing eight years ago but is now dead and behind the bridge. I loved working there that summer. Good times.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:16 AM

509 posts, read 844,765 times
I was just looking at my Midco DVR here in Sioux Falls and on the Travel Channel and it says that at that time is something about a petrified forest in Oregon. Are you talking about 4pm central or mountain? because I did not see it at anytime.......

Sorry :S

Old 06-16-2008, 06:28 PM

509 posts, read 844,765 times
Hahaha....my bad I didnt notice that the post was in April......My bad :S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota