Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 PM

205 posts, read 726,897 times

Advertisements

Jammie,

Is the Oscar Howe museum still in the old Carnegie Library in Mitchell? We enjoyed visiting there several years ago, and watching the changing of the design on the Corn Palace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 11:44 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,317,556 times
searchMitchell.com ...more accessible than ever!

Sorry~a few hours after posting, I realized it would be nice if I provided a link that tells a bit about Mitchell. I have never searched anything on there, so if if doesn't work, let me know.

Oscar Howe Art Center, Mitchell

Oscar Howe~that's another good suggestion, Prairie, since we now know that Itchy likes Indian artifacts. There's also the Middle Border Museum.

Middle Border Museum, Mitchell

Here's a link to the Prehistoric Indian Village I was referring to earlier~

Mitchell Prehistoric Indian Village

Old 06-04-2008, 11:59 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,390,449 times
Jammie, Did Mitchell have a hot air balloon museum at one time? I remember something like that when I vacationed there with my family

Old 06-05-2008, 03:14 AM

6 posts, read 19,408 times
Thanks for the links! I was an anthro major for a few years so anything like this is great.

South Dakota folks seem nice

Old 06-05-2008, 09:39 AM

Itchy, most of us are nice. Thank you for the compliment though.

MJ, yea~the Balloon Museum is now the Pepsi-Cola Theatre and they have plays there. There were some hard feelings from the start because the city let the balloon museum come in and gave them a building. It was originally in the Tyndall area. It seems like there was always a bit of hard feelings about it and the fact that the guys were a couple finally made things escalate and they left. Sad.

As far as I know, we do still have the weekend of the Balloon shows. A lot of people got interested in it and you can often see one floating around. They are just beautiful.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:32 AM

189 posts, read 562,551 times
i did live in rapid city for couple years,now in spearfish couple years. correction on bus line. you get greyhound to connecting bus companies. you can look on internet and find bus companies and schedules. if you have trouble with that let me know by direct message on this website. powder river bus was doing the run through rapid city but jefferson lines has that route for now. yes bus is way to go. not perfect. travel light . extra charges now on luggage. you can always pick up things at thrift stores and yard sales. if you dont want to keep donate back later. camping free most places in black hills.there is plenty of info at convenience stores, forest service offices and other places. i love the ocean too, but lakes have beaches,scenery gorgeous...you may not miss ocean too much. ive lived near ocean a lot. so just enjoy everyplace you go as unique and wonderful.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:26 AM

1,934 posts, read 5,796,165 times
ItchySoul, I'm thinking about you saying that you're interested in anything that's a little "off-kilter" and trying to remember the name of that 'gravity-defying' house/ cabin/ tourist trap in the black hills/ rapid city area? - I'm forgetting it's name off hand, don't know whether it's still around, and it's actually kind of dumb, but definitely off-kilter/ disorienting (it's built a certain way on a hill and is a series of optical illusions).

One other thing came to mind when you said that, and I'm showing how bad my memory is here, but I remember seeing on a couple of occassions (not sure if this was east or west river) the work of a local eccentric in a country area, whose art was lining up his seemingly dozens (maybe just over a dozen though) of the same make/model/color classic automobiles in a field in circular patterns, as well as sculptural artwork of sticks/ poles sticking up out of the ground at slanted angles. Does anyone know what I'm talking about (or was this some wierd, surreal dream?). If this does exist and/ or is still around, I'm not sure I'd suggest you going out of your way to go see it, but it seems like it might have been on the way to something and could be something to keep your eye out for.

Wall, SD is also an interesting place to visit for when you go to the Badlands...good luck!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:07 AM

46 posts, read 116,321 times
Camden Northsider I wonder if you are thinking of Carthage (where part of the movie Into the Wild? was filmed) which is in SD, instead of Carhenge, which is in Nebraska.
Here is a link.
The official website for Carhenge

Carhenge would be fun to see too.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:15 AM

You may be referring to Danny's favorite spot~The Cosmos.

http://www.hiddenvacations.com/li/So...Area_Tour.html

Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 PM

1,934 posts, read 5,796,165 times
Yes - Cosmos was what I was referring to Jammie, thanks .

And smitter, are there lined up cars in a field and posts coming out of the ground at slanted angles outside of Carthage, SD?? I went to Carhenge's website, and that is definitely close, but no cigar. The one I'm thinking of is just one of those things where you're driving along the highway and say "Oh, there's 20 of the same classic car arranged in a circle (or other pattern) in a field, and there's a bunch of wooden poles stuck into the ground at slanted angles" type of thing . Maybe they were a copycat variation of carhenge, I don't know, but I'm almost positive it was in SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota