U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 8,769 times
Default Is SD getting too liberal?

Hello, I've been seriously checking out Rapid City, and I've been reading the online RC Journal, for further information. Frankly, I'm finding many of the paper's online reader comments supporting Obama and your current democrat representative SCARY. It's also disturbing that your representative "Stephanie" ...whatever-hyphenated-last-name...will not support the SAVE Act, in opposing illegal immigration. That's a BIG factor to us. We lived in S. Arizona for a few years, an can clearly see where this country is headed (in short, takeover), if something isn't done to stop the illegals. But your representative isn't doing anything about it for you. SO, my question: is SD getting more LIBERAL, and specifically, is Rapid City going the way of the libs?
I would appreciate your comments, because lib politics is a big relocation factor to us. Thanks for your honest input.
Fred
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 08:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,934,710 times
Fred, IMHO our state isn't flipping to the liberal side. Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin is in office mainly because her name is Herseth. If she'd have been another woman with an unknown family name, she wouldn't have stood a chance. Keep in mind that in the original election, a Republican~Bill Janklow had beaten her. I personally don't agree with most of her ideas, but that's just my own opinion.

As far as Tim Johnson is concerned~he is a Democrat, but he's more in the middle. Most of us have always supported him due to the fact that he's down to earth and he has done a lot for our state. In no way would I classify him as a total Liberal. Tom Daschle did benefit the people in our state a lot throughout the years so he deserves our respect, but he lost the election when he went too far to the Left and started spouting off too much. The people of our state don't really like our politicians to be loud and angry when they're speaking to a national audience.

John Thune is a Republican, as is Gov. Rounds. We generally elect a Republican Governor.

I think I know what you're talking about with your question so I'll elaborate a bit and just dismiss it if it's not what you're referring to.

Farmers Branch had enacted a law that you need to be a legal American citizen in order to work there. Oklahoma soon followed suit. If I'm not mistaken, Gov. Henry has made it that you also need to be a legal citizen in order to rent in the state. I was personally so impressed with his actions that I wrote to Gov. Rounds and asked him to consider such a law before things got out of hand. He assured me that he had already been following the legislation in OK and was on top of things. I can't tell you if our state legislature actually passed a law demanding that you be a citizen in order to work and live here, but I did read where there had been discussion about it. Our state has not had much of a problem YET and I feel confident that as long as Gov. Rounds is in office, we will not be invaded.

Again~just my personal opinions. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Just wanted to add~you may see an increase in the number of Democrats that are registered in our state. I don't think that most of us are actually switching parties, but many of us wanted to vote in the Democratic Presidential primary.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 AM

17,638 posts, read 22,090,280 times
I think you'll find that South Dakota is a little different then most states when it comes to Politics. The people vote from their heart on who the best candidate it based on his/her experience and record.

Through the years they've put some pretty good people into office that did a wonderful job. They didn't pay any attention to labels and in most cases, neither did the politition. I'm talking the labels of Republican, and Democrat.

What you'll find is that the polititions in South Dakota are as middle of the road as you can get. I've never seen a left or right leaning individual in office there. A least one that leaned very far.

You'll find that people have to register as something and in most cases, they could care less how they register because come election time, they're going to pick the person that they think can and will do the job. Political status come election time is invisible.

South Dakota, as of yet, doens't have an illegal alien problem. No big influx of activity either. Unemployment is one of the lowest in the US. So they are keeping their own employed.

I don't think you'll have much to worry about.

I find it funny. You ask one of those old farmers East River "Who was the Governor in 19XX?" They'll tell you exactly who was in office and what he did and how it worked out. Then ask that old farmer, "Was the Governor Republican or Democrat?" He's say, "Hell, I don't know."

Old 06-15-2008, 10:01 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,943,191 times
Default ..

Nebraska is the same way, of course there will always be the extremists on both sides, and the worst kinds are the ones that you hear on the radio calling people who are democrats as mentally ill (M Savage), or tree huggers. What's really pathetic is that the general public is starting to take the same tone are making comments like 'tree huggers should be hung' or similar things like that.

I remember one day, I was on my way to have a dinner with my dad, and of course he likes M Savage as somehow he is supposedly a free thinker, and he said that it is time for everybody to get even with the democrats. And right there I was about soiled myself, LOL.. And then my dad went on this weird rant about the evils of liberals and how gays are recruiting kids and that they are child molestors and just a bunch of weird stuff like that. And I told him right there that I AM gay, and I have no plans to recruit kids nor was I ever recruited to be gay, and that it just happened and that I tried to change it and tried to date women, but for some reason (as ironic as it sounds), it just didn't feel natural!

My father really doesn't like to talk about politics now as he is torn between his church and my lifestyle. I told him that he doesn't have to be torn, he can believe what he wants, but if he actually believes that kind of thing about me that I will no longer be able to be around him, as it would be extemely uncomfortable being around somebody who thinks I am in this group of people out to destroy america and recruit kids like as if we have some sort of agenda beyond living an everyday life.

People are funny

Old 06-15-2008, 11:58 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,934,710 times
Ehenningson, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Nebraska isn't the only state where some people are still closed minded and set in their ways. There are probably a few of those in every state.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:10 PM

86 posts, read 172,211 times
Keep in mind that South Dakota has not voted for a Democratic president since 1964 (LBJ). South Dakota did not even vote for Senator Mcgovern, who was a Democratic Senator from South Dakota in the 1972 elections, and will most likely vote McCain in the upcoming elections. South Dakota is predominantly republican.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:24 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,943,191 times
Default ..

Well, I know for a fact that this type of politics happens on both sides of the fence and that it would be unfair for somebody like myself to broad-base a whole political party based off of my father and some extremists..

Everybody knows that 90% of society are swing voters, and those are the people that matter the most and do not have the same viewpoints..

I also know that Nebraska as a whole is no worse than any other state in the country in regards to that, and if I thought it was I would've never have moved back from Las Vegas, so that should be pretty telling...

Honestly though, people in las vegas and in california had this great plains bias in that somehow we come from this hick area of the country, when it comes down to it, the GP states are actually very forward thinking and even though all states have some bad political issues, our politics are on a more real basis..

Believe me, Nebraska is NOT worse than any other state with these type of statements, and as a matter of fact, I know of many places that would be worse.

Last edited by ehenningsen; 06-15-2008 at 12:34 PM..

Old 06-15-2008, 12:59 PM

Thanks, all. I hope SD finds someone less lib pretty soon to replace "Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin", however. Especially since the entire state has just ONE Representative in the House (correct?). I'd hate to see someone who won't sign the SAVE Act get entrenched into a lifetime position. And it sounds like she's pretty far off the left-end for most of SD, anyway. Good luck to SD!
Thanks,
Fred

Old 06-15-2008, 01:12 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,512,450 times
I like Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin... I've met her and talked with her a bit. She's a really friendly person.
I'm really surprised she didn't support the SAVE act... But it looks like she's a bit mixed when it comes to immigration... She did vote to build that fence across the border

Old 06-15-2008, 01:48 PM

Your lone Representative needs to hear about this from SD. Illegal immigration is THE public policy issue (disaster) of our time. Note that the American Legion has come out with a strong stand against illegal immigration, and FOR the SAVE Act. It's a matter of law and order, the rule of law, and the high value of U.S. citizenship. Isn't SD's lone Representative in the House up for re-election in November? IMHO, she should be taken to task for not supporting the SAVE Act (BTW, Tim Johnson hasn't signed the Senate version, either.) The Representative is likely cowering to the ultra-liberal Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House. Pelosi is blocking SAVE from coming to a full House vote; most dems and all libs oppose it, and want it swept under the carpet. It's my understanding that a petition (which SD's lone Representative hasn't co-signed) is underway, for bringing the bill to an OPEN, on-the-floor House vote. But it would appear that Representative Stephanie does not want South Dakotans bringing this up. My suggestion: do something for your children and grand-children; call her office, write her, and BRING IT UP. (I believe this all relates to my original question: "Is SD getting too liberal?")
Thanks all,
Fred
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota