Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:05 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times

Advertisements

How did you keep your drinking water cool when you lived in Edgemont? Did you buy bottled water for drinking or did you just keep a pitcher in the Fridge? I am moving to Hot Springs in a year or two and the warm drinking water was something I hadn't given a thought to.

uh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 10,815 times
Default Temp

Hi I Have Never Seen It That Cold Anywhere In South Dakota

Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladynitenday View Post
The coldest I have seen was in 1993 or 94 when we lived in Edgemont(W side of state near Wyo) and our outside weather station said it was -60. Do not remember whether that was wind chill or just doggone cold. As a matter of fact we had a water main break and the city crews had to dig in the middle of the street to fix it. The town water comes from a thermal supply so you don't need to run your hot water tank in the summer and the cold water is even warm in the winter. (true story) the city crew hated to get out of the hole to get things from their truck because it was warmer in that hole and it looked odd to see this huge steam cloud that made its own snow as it dissipated.
We have a heater that is a replacement oil dip stick for our Tahoe and a unit that fits into the bottom of the radiator in our older Dodge. We have found that living in small towns here it is better to have a car with 4WD because a lot of them don't have the resources to get all of the streets fully plowed ASAP and unless you have a snowblower it can even be a bit tricky to get out of your driveway.
That had to be wind chill. The record low was back in 1936. It was -58 and that was straight temp.

But many times, the wind chill has dropped to more then -60. But even that, the temp was probably around -45 or worse. In 1983 I was visiting between Custer and Hill City. Striaght temp was -43.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times
What is the Mexican weather report?
Chili today and hot tamale.

uh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota