Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,895,554 times

Advertisements

In a place such as Sioux Falls or larger metros such as Minneapolis-St. Paul, there are neighborhood convience stores that are allowed to be built near homes but have stipulations. Some of the stipulations are hours of operation: city leaders may push for a 6AM-11PM hours and may discourage the convenience store being open 24 hours. Also, the city may request certain signage along with berms and shrubbery to blend in better with the neighboring residences. This may apply to other businesses such as fast food restaurants, sit-down restaurants, supermarkets, and discount stores. Sioux Falls has become tougher on zoning and more sensitive to neighborhood issues in the past 10 years or so.

I am not sure if Rapid City approaches a business such as a convenience store in a similar manner as Sioux Falls and larger cities where zoning and neighborhood issues are taken seriously and are considered when setting up stipulations or conditions for a business to abide by if it wants to be in a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 01:15 AM

4 posts, read 15,388 times
Default Commercial Property in North Rapid

We are looking at a very small footprint build for business that would serve our community. 2 1/2 stories high and build as a european Villa with balconies. Used for a sub shop/pizza, along with ice cream/coffee shop. Possible permanant housing for farmers market/or organic foods and other shops that would benifit my community. There is TONS of building going on out here.. Permits for over 895 single family homes and at least 40 multi-family complexes have already been issued. We have a Vikky Powers park and a new primary school to be build with in 1 mile of this property. The city has told me that our property will be the only commercial property with in 2-3 miles. Our property is between mall ridge 1 and 2. There is also plans on the table to build another 27 multi family units and at least 600 single family homes all around the corner it will sit on. So I'm thinking it could allow families in the area open their offices closer to home and mom can send the kids to the store and not be worried about traffic etc.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:59 AM

3,940 posts, read 14,663,948 times
Jami Sue, that is a very neat project. Mall Ridge is pretty isolated from the rest of Rapid City so it's good to hear that they will have amentities nearby. What is your project called?

I also heard today, from a very reliable source, that Rapid City will be getting a Nordstrom's. The woman who told me was a district manager for Nordstom's in San Diego for over 10 years. Wahoo!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:11 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,315,305 times
It is SO good to hear that Rapid is doing so well and getting so many new things there. It's always been such a beautiful area that wasn't living up to it's full potential. Maybe it's finally being discovered?

Old 08-29-2008, 03:30 PM

161 posts, read 637,174 times
I live in S Dakota but haven't been to Rapid City in a while. This new mall sounds great.

I am somewhat familiar with the area where it will be. If someone was driving from the south on La Crosse, would you turn east on North or Anamosa?

Are there some new roads that have been or are being constructed? I see the address of the new Furniture Row store is 924 Eglin St. Is this a new portion of Eglin or on the existing portion on the E/SE side of North.

I also remember some railroad tracks in the area. Are they near the new mall?

Is there an official website yet for Rushmore Crossing?

Just wondering!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 03:42 PM

464 posts, read 1,350,827 times
I am somewhat familiar with the area where it will be. If someone was driving from the south on La Crosse, would you turn east on North or Anamosa?
Neither. It's a road before Walmart that leads to the current hotels. They extended the road all the way to North St a bit north of Menards.

Are there some new roads that have been or are being constructed? I see the address of the new Furniture Row store is 924 Eglin St. Is this a new portion of Eglin or on the existing portion on the E/SE side of North.
See above

I also remember some railroad tracks in the area. Are they near the new mall?
The entire mall area is built directly north of the railroad tracks. I'd say the dock doors of Target are around 30 yards from the tracks.

Is there an official website yet for Rushmore Crossing?

www.mcdonaldproperties.com/projects-past.html

Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 PM

For those that may be unfamiliar with Nordstrom's.
Nordstrom: Designer Collections and Top Apparel, Shoe and Beauty Brands

Old 08-29-2008, 09:50 PM

464 posts, read 1,350,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
For those that may be unfamiliar with Nordstrom's.
Nordstrom: Designer Collections and Top Apparel, Shoe and Beauty Brands
FINALLY, an upper, high end department store!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,895,554 times
It would definitely be interesting to see Rapid City to get a place like Nordstrom's, but how many people in the area would afford buying high-end merchandise from that store. It may be a little more upscale than Macy's, which has a location in Sioux Falls.

It would seem odd to me that Rapid City would be getting one and cities like Sioux Falls, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities area (Davenport/Moline/Rock Island/Bettendorf), Lincoln, Omaha, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Wichita, and Colorado Springs (despite it being an hour from Denver) all do not have a Nordstom store. These metro areas range from 200,000 to over 1,000,000 people. I have seen them in Denver and Minneapolis, but those cities have a larger pool of rich people who can afford the prices and would adequately support a place like it.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:08 AM

There are a few businesses that Rapid City has that I have not seen in Denver, Omaha, Sioux Falls, or Minneapolis. Buffalo Wings N' Rings is a national franchise that has a Rapid City location. Wingers Diner is a big franchise out west that doesn't have any locations in Colorado, Minnesota, or Nebraska. Wingers is slotted to be in Rushmore Crossing. Denver Mattress, Oak Express, Sofa Mart, Linens N' Things, all have locations in Rapid City and I've never seen one in Sioux Falls, Omaha, or Minneapolis.

I'm sure that plenty of people around Rapid City will be able to afford Nordstrom's products. Rapid City gets a lot of retirees, it's the medical center of a 3 state area, there are a lot of trust fund babies that go to college in Spearfish, and it's a tourist haven. Sure, Rapid City has a lot of blue-collar jobs but there is a lot of money here too and even more as you get up in the Black Hills. There are also many implants here from places that are getting too crowded like California and Colorado.

Buffalo Wings & Rings franchise restaurant - dinner - Location - Store Locator (http://www.buffalowingsandrings.com/locations.html - broken link)
Furniture Row: Home of Sofa Mart, Oak Express, Bedroom Expressions, Denver Mattress Company and Furniture Row Outlet
Untitled Document

Oooh! And I almost forgot... Cabela's.

(Merge this if you have to Jammie! )

Last edited by Jammie; 08-30-2008 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: OK, it's merged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota