U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2008, 11:52 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,450,624 times
That's funny. Kinda like around here where people drive to Wyoming to get cigarettes because they're a dollar cheaper than in South Dakota. Don't ever let a smoker know you're going on a roadtrip. They'll hound you to buy them a couple cartons!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 12:19 AM

6,042 posts, read 6,412,619 times
The only thing I buy gas for anymore is to go fishing or to go and take photos like these. All of these pics were taken in Montana, best when viewed as "slideshow". Enjoy.

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - why I use gas !

Old 08-02-2008, 07:32 AM

Great pictures rickers!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:03 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,326,775 times
It dropped to $3.63/gallon for 10% ethanol blend/super unleaded blend in the Sioux Falls area. As far as I am concerned, it can keep going down. In past travels, I can remember it traditionally dropping a good dime or so when I get down to Vermillion/Sioux City area and drop further when I get to Des Moines and Missouri (Gas is normally a lot cheaper in Missouri than in South Dakota), which puts a smile on my face when I travel in that direction. When I am down in that area, I make sure to fill up in Sioux City or Vermillion/Elk Point areas to take advantage of the lower pump prices.

When I go to Colorado, usually a one or two times a year trip to visit family and college friend out there, I know where to fill up and not to after having doing that trip a number of times. I usually fill up before I-80 (the stations along I-80 are often high-priced) and when I am in Colorado aways (closer to Denver).

About a year ago, people from Sioux Falls and South Dakota went to Iowa to buy cigarettes by the cartons when South Dakota raised its taxes on smokes and Iowa was considerably cheaper. That happened for a short time and Iowa upped its tax and stopped some of that. I have heard that a few people go to Missouri to buy cigarettes (tax is dirt cheap). Missouri state line is a little over 200 miles from Sioux Falls. Some serious smokers may buy large quantities of cigarettes when they head to Missouri. When my brother lived in Iowa, he mentioned that people in central/southern Iowa went to Missouri to buy cigarettes. Danny, I had chuckle at your comment and know what you mean.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Danny, I had chuckle at your comment and know what you mean.
It happens whenever I leave the state. My mom is a smoker so she makes me get her a couple cartons. She went to the Carolinas not too long ago and brought back 6 cartons with her. Apparently they're WAY cheap there too. Probably because that's where tobacco is grown...?

Old 08-02-2008, 11:08 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,326,775 times
Well, if she is down in Omaha area, drive 60 miles southeast and she can find bargains on cigs in Missouri and fill up the gas tank. When I went through St. Joseph, MO in May, gas was 14 cents cheaper per gallon than in Sioux Falls.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:08 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,704,655 times
UMMM, is anyone going out of state soon? I could use a couple of packs myself.

The way I see it, the state shot themselves in the foot when they made such a horrific jump in tax. I love reading their reports now about how so many people have just stopped smoking cause there aren't nearly as many cigs bought in a year as there used to be. Seriously though, I'm not advocating smoking. It's just something that I enjoy doing on occasion~like a few times a day.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:15 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,103,113 times
No Ciggys here but, I read a blurb in in one of the fincial journals that said gasoline should drop another 40 cents per gallon if it tracks the price of crude oil. Of course it didn't say how long it would stay there or how long it would take to get there. My guess is that the price of gas should drop fairly fast after Labor day.
uh

Old 08-08-2008, 11:47 AM

230 posts, read 386,660 times
It's down to 3.48 a gallon at Sams here in Sioux Falls and I am one happy camper about that. I never thought I would see gas under 3.50 again...

Old 08-08-2008, 12:12 PM

That'd be nice to see around here too. Hopefully when the bikers leave gas will drop down significantly. I look forward to the end of tourist season because it always goes down a dime or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota