U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:09 PM

2,398 posts, read 4,888,232 times

Advertisements

I decided to post a question that I'm curious about...
It's fair time... or getting there depending on where you live. What are some of the county/regional fairs like in your area. What are the dates? Are you planning on going to any of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 05:35 PM

64 posts, read 239,685 times
The 2008 Sturgis biker rally is the one of the largest biker rally in the nation where hundreds of thousands of people from all over the country come to, and it's going on all this week. Fun to go to even if you don't own a motorcycle.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,102,197 times
Oh yea! I wonder how the numbers are out in Sturgis because I-90 has been full of bikers for several days now. We have never gone, but we decided we will plan on going~maybe next year?

*Sturgis Motorcycle Rally | Events | Concerts | Rally News | Guide | Lodging | Black Hills | Mayors Ride

We're going to the Sioux Empire Fair over in Sioux Falls. We're going this Friday. We have tickets to see "Chicago".

Sioux Empire Fair - WH Lyon Fairgrounds

(Bet you're familiar with that one, MJ.)

The South Dakota State Fair is up in Huron. We generally go up there for a day.

South Dakota State Fair - Huron, SD

The Corn Palace Festival is in the town I live in and we generally at least go up to the midway even if we don't go to a concert.

The World's Only Corn Palace Festival, Mitchell, South Dakota

Some of these used to be later in the year, but everyone has moved up the dates. Always a good time.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:30 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,354,731 times
The Rally seems smaller this year but that may be because I went up to Sturgis last night while Kid Rock and John McCain were at the Buffalo Chip. Traffic between Rapid City and Sturgis was TERRIBLE!!! I hate driving during the Rally.

The Central States Fair in Rapid City will be August 15th-24th at the Pennington County Fairgrounds and Arena.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 PM

193 posts, read 714,599 times
I think the Iowa State Fair is the best STATE fair around....sorry South Dakota!! The IA State Fair is August 6-17 and has all the wonderful traditions galore--the butter cow, Ye Old Mill. If you haven't been there, you should go. I've heard people say they think the Minnesota State Fair is better, but I have been to both and you can't even try to compete with the Iowa State Fair.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 PM

Danny, I can't imagine what its like in Rapid and the Hills right now... Motorcycles have been heavy around here even. I tend to avoid I-90 during the Rally though, especially the farther west.

Jammie whats the Corn Palace Festival like? Is it the county fair for Mitchell pretty much?

And I haven't been to the state fair in a long time... It's a plus if you're a farmer (my dad), but I think I'd find it fun even if I wasn't a farmer.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 PM

19,219 posts, read 9,006,246 times
the Brown County Fair, will be Aug. 11-17 in Aberdeen

Old 08-05-2008, 11:00 PM

debey, are you planning on going to the Brown County Fair? I will be there for the first day... Too bad I can't spend more time there.
Are you going to sell the Forestburg Melons there? You would have a good market!!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 PM

19,219 posts, read 9,006,246 times
starting to get stuff lined up. First ''Foresrburg muskmelons'' have been picked, but the producers need another few days, to start getting ''numbers''. It sounds like
I will be at the ''stand'' afew times, this fall. .......I have missed being ''the pumpkin lady!..........

Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,102,197 times
OMG, Forestburg melons!!! We ALWAYS have to pick some up on our way home from the State Fair.

The Corn Palace Festival is just a tradition they've had since the late 1800s. They are done with the redecorating of the Palace by that time and it was generally a celebration for harvest being over. Kind of the last big thing before winter sets in. They've moved the date up and it's kind of nice. At least it isn't chillly like it used to be when it was later in the season. We have a midway with rides and games and several places to play Bingo. Every night there is a different show. Just something to look forward to every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota