Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times

Advertisements

I'd just like to backtrack on John McCain's houses. There was an article in my local newspaper about "Things you probably didn't know about John McCain" and also one for Barack Obama. The article said that McCain owns seven houses. Now if I wanted to be sarcastic or spin this, I could say, "Can't he count to seven?" or "Doesn't he even remember something so simple?" But I chose to believe that he was basically saying, "It's really none of your business."

As far as the video, I don't believe that Obama was off base. What happened was the narrator put an entirely different spin on his speech. All the key words like, "How he so arrogantly mocked....", etc.

Obama has a very good point. Which actual passage are we going to be ruled by? We need it to be well rounded and a spiritual leader. As an example, should we go with the Old Testament that says, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth?" OR should we go with the New Testament that says, "Do not do this unto your Brethern~an eye for an eye....."

I don't believe that he was ridiculing the Bible or being arrogant. That interpretation comes from the Narrator himself and the people who put this together. They are obviously not Obama supporters. And in case anyone is wondering, I would feel the same way about it if it was a video on McCain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 10:43 AM

393 posts, read 1,069,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I'd just like to backtrack on John McCain's houses. There was an article in my local newspaper about "Things you probably didn't know about John McCain" and also one for Barack Obama. The article said that McCain owns seven houses. Now if I wanted to be sarcastic or spin this, I could say, "Can't he count to seven?" or "Doesn't he even remember something so simple?" But I chose to believe that he was basically saying, "It's really none of your business."

As far as the video, I don't believe that Obama was off base. What happened was the narrator put an entirely different spin on his speech. All the key words like, "How he so arrogantly mocked....", etc.

Obama has a very good point. Which actual passage are we going to be ruled by? We need it to be well rounded and a spiritual leader. As an example, should we go with the Old Testament that says, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth?" OR should we go with the New Testament that says, "Do not do this unto your Brethern~an eye for an eye....."

I don't believe that he was ridiculing the Bible or being arrogant. That interpretation comes from the Narrator himself and the people who put this together. They are obviously not Obama supporters. And in case anyone is wondering, I would feel the same way about it if it was a video on McCain.
I agree with everything you said.

On one hand, the old testament will tell you that a menstruating woman is unclean and you should not sit on a chair after she has, stoning criminals, sacrifice, it's all in there. While it would be wrong to take the extreme and out dated notions like that literally (as many people do), I do think the positive meanings of the bible have value for everybody.

My point is, Obama seems to be saying in that speech, that by concentrating on those extreme, outdated notions, the bible has no value, at least that's how it felt to me. That's what bothered me about it.

I don't go to church and I'm far from perfect, but I know how seeing that made me feel. I would defend Jesus, what he said, and the bible in general, way before I'd ever defend Obama. The other point you didn't address is, the Koran. Obama would never in a million years give the same speech about the Koran for fear of reprisals by muslims. I'm certain there are similar extreme notions and passages to be found there. This presents a bigger problem in my estimation. What is the world coming to when Christian beliefs can be summarily dismissed as impractical or outdated, yet our leaders live in fear of muslim beliefs? I'm not saying I disagree with SOME (I would never agree with him on the sermon on the mount), of the passages he quoted as being extreme or outdated, I'm just disappointed he ever went there in the first place. I think there are some things that should be held sacred and just not messed with.

As for McCain's houses, I don't think it's any of my business and I don't think his financial success affects his ability to do the job so for me it isn't a negative. If anything, the fact that he IS financially successful and has a private life is a positive in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
View detailed profiles of: